It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birch sap - brand from Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   

On the shelves of any store in the USSR, one could find three-liter glass jars with a special drink - birch sap.

It was one of the symbols of the country, a special national product with which the homeland was associated. They sang about birch sap in songs and talked about in verse. They tried to surprise guests from the national outskirts with Russian specialties.

Russian "specialty" - spring birch sap. The taste is definitely not for everybody's taste. But many people appreciate its freshness, lightness and characteristic "resinous" aftertaste.

In the villages of Russia, since ancient times, birch bark was punched through in the spring, a tube was inserted into the hole and dripping juice was collected in a container in order to enjoy this special drink.

Medical studies have shown that taking at least one glass a day for 2-3 weeks (it is optimal to drink a glass three times a day half an hour before meals) will help the body cope with spring weakness, hypovitaminosis or vitamin deficiency, distraction, fatigue and depression.

From the point of view of herbal medicine, birch sap is one of the best natural remedies for improving metabolism. Birch sap is rich in sugars, organic acids, enzymes, calcium, magnesium, iron and other macro-microelements necessary for the body. The use of birch sap helps to cleanse the blood, enhance metabolic processes, and removes harmful substances from the body in case of infectious diseases. It is useful to drink juice for stomach ulcers and duodenal ulcers, diseases of the liver, gall bladder, low acidity, radiculitis, rheumatism, arthritis, tuberculosis, scurvy, headache and venereal diseases.

Now in Russia there is an Internet meme. A guy enters the bar and loudly asks for a birch fresh. The bartender runs after birch firewood.)))

Have you, members of our forum, tasted birch sap at least once?

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Never heard of this.

What happens when you mix it with vodka?

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Never heard of this.

What happens when you mix it with vodka?

Haha, thanks for the idea. Need to try)))
Although I do not like cocktails, I prefer to consume spirits in their pure form, even without ice)))

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:21 AM
link   

It is a long time ago I drank fresh birch juice! It's said to be detoxifying and anti inflammation properties too. Almost forgot about it. Tastes different every month, sweeter in spring for example. It's hard to describe, it tastes very round, refreshing and cooling.

Do you know a way to make it stable so it does not taste bitter the next day?

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I LOVE BIRCH SYRUP!!!!!
An old timer from New Hampshire gave me some years ago.
He said it was tricky to make and that he had to be very careful when he made it.
I have no idea what he meant by that though.
Can’t find it here though.

MMMMMMMMMM

Anyone else want to visit Russia? ??? I DO!!!

Big Time.......😎

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: 41.422500, -70.911944

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

It is a long time ago I drank fresh birch juice! It's said to be detoxifying and anti inflammation properties too. Almost forgot about it. Tastes different every month, sweeter in spring for example. It's hard to describe, it tastes very round, refreshing and cooling.

Do you know a way to make it stable so it does not taste bitter the next day?

My friend, I am just a consumer, not a food technologist. I drink what they sell in supermarkets (((
Of course, I have relatives in the village. But they have not collected juice from birches for a long time, although every time I enjoy the naturalness of village products (((

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   

That sounds good. Is it syrupy sweet like maple sap?

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut

I LOVE BIRCH SYRUP!!!!!
An old timer from New Hampshire gave me some years ago.
He said it was tricky to make and that he had to be very careful when he made it.
I have no idea what he meant by that though.
Can’t find it here though.

MMMMMMMMMM

Birch concentrate is a dangerous thing. Your woman may really like your condition after consuming it. Be careful))))))))))))

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I've had this here in Nova Scotia. The old folks used to call it Birch Beer, but now a pop company (soda) makes a pop kind of like cream soda and calls it the same.

It's definitely an old school flavour.

Also... what is "Spring Weakness"?

Editing to say, I can imagine "Spring Weakness" is a term from back in the day when everyone had been nearly starving at the end of winter before Nything could grow.

edit on 23-9-2021 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I've definitely heard of it. Never tried any though, but I'd love to.

To the above poster...I think Birch Beer is different than Birch sap.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
We used to have the same thing down here along coastal Massachusetts when I was younger and it was great stuff.
I haven’t seen anything like that for years.
I loved Birch Beer!!!
Do you remember Teaberry Gum?
I used to take my kids out into the woods and pick teaberry’s all the time.
Crack at leaf from a T berry plant in half and it smells like spearmint.
How about Screech Rum from NewfieLand?
Sorry that’s a fisherman term.
The mountains in New Hampshire I referred to as the white mountains because of all the Birch Trees.
I’m kind of surprised something like this doesn’t come out of that state.
They sure do make a lot of Maple Syrup there though. Around here we mostly have Swamp Maples and I don’t know if there any good for syrup.

Now I have to find Birch Juice or Syrup somewhere!

Oh FFS.....thanks RussianTroll.....LOL

a reply to: Atsbhct

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: .

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: Talk to text does not understand Swamp Yankee

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut

Thanks, but I haven't tried these drinks. Maximum - bourbon from Kentucky)))
But very interesting. There are maples in Russia, but they don't make maple syrup (((

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I just copy pasted this whole OP to my sister-in-law who will very likely die from cancer soon and she is looking high and low for anything that may help her.

Of course I make no claims and she absolutely does not take things at face value but thoroughly research is everything which I am sure she will do if the thought of Birch juice intrigues her.

Thank you very much RussianTroll!

Your OP’s continually impress!

Please, keep them coming......⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Cheers.....😎

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
I just copy pasted this whole OP to my sister-in-law who will very likely die from cancer soon and she is looking high and low for anything that may help her.

Of course I make no claims and she absolutely does not take things at face value but thoroughly research is everything which I am sure she will do if the thought of Birch juice intrigues her.

Thank you very much RussianTroll!

Your OP’s continually impress!

Please, keep them coming......⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Cheers.....😎

Thanks. I'm very glad my friend))))

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   
My son-in-law just told me that he has had hotdogs and hard-boiled eggs that were boiled in Birch Juice but says it’s not really a thing up there.
He was born and raised in New Hamshire.
His father had a Maple syrup shack when he was a kid.
That was one of the jobs he had when he was young to go out and empty the buckets of sap every morning

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Amazon has some, fairly expensive

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Thanks for finding it!!!

Copy/Paste from Amazon about a birch juice beverage.

Features & details
Organic birch water is pure birch tree sap. It is a genuine, 100% natural living water that people in rural Europe have been enjoying for centuries as a natural detox product.
It's exactly what it sounds like. Similar to the process of tapping maple trees, birch trees can be tapped as well. Except, instead of the sticky, sweet substance that comes out of maple trees, birch tree sap is clear and relatively neutral in flavor and has a slightly sweet taste.
Naturally, birch water stimulates the cleansing systems of the body, kidney and liver functions, and helps to eliminate the toxins in the body. It contains micro-nutrients unique to the birch tree which are said to help strengthen the immune system, lower cholesterol and assist with weight loss.
It is an ecologically pure, 100% natural refreshing soft drink ideal for sportsmen during workout or post recovery or for people with healthy lifestyle looking for drinks that are natural, low calories and tasty.
Ingredients: Organic birch sap (97.24%), Organic cane sugar, Citric acid

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: Talk to text does not understand Swamp Yankee, Grrrrr

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Haha okay

We often got fresh juice while camping and noticed no matter how we store it, it's bitter after a day or two.

Method 1
For anyone interested how to get it: Drill a hole into a birch about 1/10th the width of the tree. So if the tree is like 1 foot in diameter, drill a bit more than an inch into it. Then stick a bit smaller stick or thin pipe into the hole and tie a bottle to it so it will drip. Do not use copper pipes it's not good for the tree. Do not drill more than two holes.

Method 2
Grab a bendy branch from the top and tie it down, cut the tip, so it is at least under it's own node, where it grows out of the tree. This is the so called juice scale trick. Stick it into a bottle and tie or tape the bottle to the branch.

Depends on the size of the tree, I think a day a liter or something. For US american, a day per liter is about a quarter gallon per day.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Silver Birch trees are my second favourite to Willow, with Oak taking third place.
Speaking as an Aromatherapist there are two types of Essential Oil from the Birch Tree. One called Birch Tar (used to be called White Birch) and Sweet Birch. We don't use Sweet Birch in Aromatherapy as can be very toxic, but surprising how many suppliers will sell it thinking there is no difference. So just like the Willow tree for example, perfectly safe if you know what you are doing (pain killing and where pharma devised Aspirin from) but lethal if not used properly.
As to Birch Tar, it is an amazing oil and one of my favourites. Smells like wood smoke.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Thanks, very interesting))

top topics

<<   2 >>

join