It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Robs 800 Safe Deposit Boxes, Steal People’s Life Savings, Claiming Cash Smelled Like Drugs

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   
OK, I went to the linked article and scanned it... and I still don't have any answer to my questions. Those questions are:
  • Who keeps cash, especially a life savings, in a safety deposit box? I can understand keeping bonds, stocks, deeds, important records, even memoirs in one... but cash? You're literally paying the bank to hold the money, whereas a savings account would pay you. It might be a pittance, but isn't that better than paying them?

• The safety deposit box I have has two locks. The bank has one that fits multiple boxes, and I have one that fits only my box. Both keys have to be used in order to access the box. If I lose my key, the bank has to schedule a locksmith to come in, at my expense, to drill out the lock and replace it. So how did the FBI manage to open these boxes without the keys? Did they literally drill through the locks? Seems like it would take quite a while to drill out that many locks; those boxes are not made of plastic, you know.
Anyone with a little insight into those questions would find that insight appreciated.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

You're stupid to leave large amounts of cash in a safety deposit box, for the reason you mentioned above and also because they are not FDIC insured.

Also, for law enforcement to open one they need to obtain a warrant and then have a locksmith open it, which is what I think they did here just on a much larger scale.

edit on 22-9-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Checkout the picture in the article.

It looks to me like the vault has partitioned boxes, like a group of 8~16 to a "block". IIUC the agents, with or without the bank's assistance, are simply removing the entire block out of the vault wall. Not sure how exactly they are getting the "blocks" out of the wall, but once you do, seems like you'll have access to a lock box via the back side of the block, without needing any type of key, from anybody, bank or customer.

I will agree with others about the article from the OP; they seem to maybe be over-simplifying what's going on.

I don't see the DoJ taking down the storage company's site and yanking blocks of lock boxes out of the wall unless:

1.) the storage company is suspected of being dirty and is being investigated

and/or

2.) a significant number of customers are suspected of being dirty, not just a handful

"Why would anybody have their 'life savings' in a lock box?"

Because those 'poor souls' assets are comprised of strictly ca$h.

Some people do this in a more or less benign capacity (aside from not paying taxes), like contractors or wait staff.

Other people do this with laundered money from, e.g. dealing drugs, racketeering, etc.

I'mmmmm gonna guess the DoJ isn't going after some schmo serving tables at Applebee's or the local roofing guy, so....

IDK I would only entrust something I could afford to lose in the hands of secure storage company. Something that is replaceable, or that I want protected but already have copies of (escrow, documents, USB storage).

I just don't trust people I don't know to hold onto true valuables for me.
edit on 22-9-2021 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree. Good point on the FDIC insurance.

Also, for law enforcement to open one they need to obtain a warrant and then have a locksmith open it, which is what I think they did here just on a much larger scale.

It still takes a certain amount of time to drill open a hardened lockset, does it not? From the article, that's still 800 locks to be drilled out. If a locksmith spent just ten minutes per lock, that would be 8000 minutes, or over 133 hours, or (based on an 8-hour day) almost 17 days.

I doubt very much that a locksmith can drill out a hardened lockset in ten minutes. Maybe more like 20... as I said, these things are not exactly made out of ABS plastic. That's hardened steel specifically designed to not be capable of being drilled out.

So how is it the article is talking about opening 800 boxes at the same time?

a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I saw the picture... maybe they were taking the section down to a locksmith? As I mention above, drilling out 800 locks is quite the feat!

I would be pretty damn upset if I found out that my box contents were accessible to anyone who simply pulled the section off the wall. That's not exactly secure. Besides, the box I have is not only made of tempered steel, it is also insulated against heat in case of a fire. There is no opening in the backside, either. The keys unlock a drawer that fits into a receptacle. When the box is opened the entire drawer slides out. It is steel on all 6 sides! The top is hinged so it can swing up easily, but it can't swing when it is in place in the wall... the top of the receptacle is in the way!

The locks are at the front... there's no way they could even be accessed from the rear.

This story is not making sense. There's something more going on than meets the eye.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Try getting a mortgage or renting a decent house without a bank account these days all the same.

They want direct debits and payment plans in place else a load of places are not even interested in your custom.

Im with you on the cash money thingamabob but paying people in such a fashion can draw attention, even when you are doing nothing wrong.

Such is the world we live im afraid.
edit on 23-9-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join