It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native Americans Upset Over President's Silence About 2nd Largest School Shooting in US History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Wow, they have a point.

Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence

In the hours after the massacre at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999, President Bill Clinton publicly expressed his condolences and followed up a few days later with a radio address in which he proposed new gun control measures and school safety projects.

Bush just cut short a vacation to sign a cynically toothless bill to "exploit Terri" instead.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Well I see this way our "born again Christian president" have only one side to be with and obviously Indian reservation and the baby in Texas that die is not.

I wonder if people realized that............I had.

And maybe he is so "busy" that he forgot to offer his condolences to the tragic even in the school.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Wow, they have a point.

Native Americans Criticize Bush's Silence

In the hours after the massacre at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999, President Bill Clinton publicly expressed his condolences and followed up a few days later with a radio address in which he proposed new gun control measures and school safety projects.

Bush just cut short a vacation to sign a cynically toothless bill to "exploit Terri" instead.

So what you are saying is that Clinton exploited the Columbine situation, to advance his gun control agenda?

Yeah that is what I thought you said.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Yeah, dead Indians are funny aren't they.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Yeah, dead Indians are funny aren't they.

Compare Clinton to Bush and you will lose a majority of the time.

That is what I was laughing at.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I feel that bush is very selective to how and what groups he offers his help too, that bothers me.

I think bush has a problem with expressing "compassion" to such tragic events like children in schools getting shot.

But he can be "compassionate" when it comes to the political gain of the case in Florida.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Compare Clinton to Bush and you will lose a majority of the time.

That is what I was laughing at.

True. Unless one anchors the comparisons somewhere in reality. Like surplus versus deficit, valuable jobs created versus valuable jobs lost or public approval ratings.

Just comparing Bush's New Public Approval Low Today (with all that so called "political capital") to Clinton's surge in popularity after his failed persecution at the hands of right wing extremists over MonicaGate speaks volumes. Assuming of course one isn't a deluded extremist on the fringes of mainstream American opinion laughing at his own irrelevance.

But this thread isn't about you.

It's about another sad tragedy.

"From all over the world we are getting letters of condolence, the Red Cross has come, but the so-called Great White Father in Washington hasn't said or done a thing," said Clyde Bellecourt, a Chippewa Indian who is the founder and national director of the American Indian Movement here. "When people's children are murdered and others are in the hospital hanging on to life, he should be the first one to offer his condolences. . . . If this was a white community, I don't think he'd have any problem doing that."

And President Bush's seemingly intentional neglect to respond appropriately.

[edit on 25-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Bush only shows compassion when it most suits his needs politically. He contnues to obsess over 9/11 yet he thinks nothing of the Iraqis or U.S. soldiers dying over zero WMD discoveries. Not to mention everybody dying in Afghanistan. He supports the Terri Schiavo ordeal yet doesn't mention the new school shooting tragedy at all. What kind of message does this send to his supporters? Certainly nothing consistent other than a commitment to political pandering.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I think it's less about Bush V. Clinton and more about the current climate. Columbine was a huge deal. This is too, but it's no longer an isolated occurance. We've had dozens of these incidences in the years since, and it says something when condolences are worn out.

join