It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuphead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Only found one thread on here about Cuphead over the controversy of whiny, weak journalists who are incapable of grasping basic concepts.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

25 years of gaming and gaming journalism experience right there people.

Anyway, for those of you that aren't mentally handicapped, and are masochists that enjoy games like Contra, Gradius, Gunstar Heroes and other games that separate the men and women from the boys and girls as well as being sadistically tortured by 1930's era cartoon characters then play this game now.

I admit, I was late to the party, I was really holding out for a native linux version, they ported it to android car systems for #'s sake. Who's playing cuphead in their #ing car???? Anyway, I guess it works pretty well on proton, had to use qjoypad because apparently Cuphead run through WINE doesn't understand my controller exists.

So, you're a living anthropomorphic cup of coffee or something that made a deal with the devil while gambling, you lost now you have to kill a bunch of weird trippy 1930's Fleisher era cartoon characters in a sidescrolling bullet hell platformer with almost NES level difficulty in a series of epic boss battles that last about 2-3 minutes once mastered but can take close to an hour just to get it down so you can beat them.

Also, it's set to catchy jazz and big band music recorded using techniques from the 1930's using painstakingly hand drawn cels and animated over several years using traditional animation techniques from the golden age of animation.

To quote DB....

Shut up and play it

and if it's too hard...

Git Gud...
edit on 5/8/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/8/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 12:17 AM
link   
43 year gaming experience here.
Don't want no rookie at 25 years trying to get me to play a phone game .
Metro Exodus Enhanced and Outriders , the only ways to go ...

Got to have games that makes my systems go uggghhhhhhhh
Didn;t hand pick each individual component and build them myself for nothing
edit on 8/6/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Phone game? You are mistaken. It's an 11Gb pc game that will remind you of the days before games were movies.

My thumb hasn't had such a workout in a while. That #'s got a stage with vertical scrolling, randomly generated platforms and offscreen projectile shenanigans. With a giant bee that spits missiles thst track your movements in an unpredictable pattern and it spawns some pink floyd triangle # on top of you. Then uses a screen filling attack that will # you while youmre trying to.desperately jump onto platforms thst may or may not exist. Also, you get three hit points and no health restores.. It's the first time I've felt the urge to throw a controller through the screen since I was a child playing the Nes.

Also, the game hates you and wants you to suffer.

Been a long time since I played a game like that. It brings me back to.the days of Ghosts n goblins and Ninja gaiden and #ing Gradius 3. Try that # with the hack that removes the slowdown. Holy # that's just inhuman.

gbatemp.net...

edit on 6/8/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I love this game I bought it pre order when it was still a Microsoft exclusive on the box. And yeah I’m in the group that loves difficult games. Try out hard corps uprising (sequel to contra) sometime with no gun sword only on pro that was another game that’s hard as nails in that mode but so damn satisfying when you finally defeat it.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Haha, my Stepdaughter introduced me to this years back.
Thanks for the reminder, I'll fire it up tonight.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 02:24 AM
link   

That actually looks pretty good

I tend to aim more high end graphical gaming but i love a good platformer with a controller consoul style... and the art work looks amazing!

i have my retro gaming moments now and again lol

Im looking at this "Project Zomboid" atm...

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

This is more like a boss rush style shooter. Highly recommended.

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   

One of the best games ever. *a response to only reading the op title. Now I will go read your post.

Eta: Yes, the music! The music is fan-flippin-tastic!
edit on 8/6/2021 by Tundra because: I read the op

posted on Aug, 6 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   

My 10 year old Grandson plays this game.....far better than me.

In fact he plays most games better than me apart from the really old arcade games like Phoenix, Galaxian and my all time favourite Commando.

top topics

join