It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Street Guns Shrinking - Shootings-to-Deaths Ratio Shows a Relatively Small Chance of Dying.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Tuesday June 29, 2021

On the local (Chicago) TV News last week, they interviewed this guy who has been shot several times in recent years. He showed one 3 week-old gunshot wound all stitched-up on his calf, and lifted up his shirt to show another brand new wound on his torso.

This past weekend, 80 people were shot. Only 9 of those shootings were lethal.

Source: heyjackass.com...

As you can see from the 2021 year-to-date graphic, about 17% of the 1,926 people shot this year in Chicago, died from their injury(s).

Year-to-date: heyjackass.com...

QUESTION: Are "street guns" (if there is such a thing) smaller and weaker now than they used to be, say a decade or two ago?

It's interesting how unafraid so many residents are of getting shot, even in neighborhoods where there are multiple shootings every single day and night.

Sidebar: The residents I know who have injuries, receive disability pay and health insurance from the Federal and State government. Maybe getting shot is like winning the lottery, for really poor people.

-CareWeMust

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 10:55 PM
link   

edit on 29-6-2021 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Obviously. Chicago has moved away from the .45 Colt caliber and have become very European.
This could be a good thing or a bad thing. Depending on perspective.
My first question? What has "this guy" been doing wrong, to be an "accidental target" so many times, in "recent years"?... Just minding his own business?

Not buying the story.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I know a guy who ate six 9mm rounds and then beat his assailant unconcious.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I know a guy who got shot in the mouth.
Knocked half his teeth out and exited the side of his neck.
He lived just fine and now he thinks I am a provider of free beer.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
I know a guy who got shot in the mouth.
Knocked half his teeth out and exited the side of his neck.
He lived just fine and now he thinks I am a provider of free beer.

Does the beer run out of his neck?
Had to ask.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I think it may be that Chicago hoodlums are piss poor shots.
Ever see them hold their gun sideways and shoot it?
Or wailing their arm in an arc while firing?

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:27 AM
link   

No, I think what you'll find is, because there are more illegally procured guns (notice I didn't say "illegal guns") on the street you've also got more people with those guns who have no idea how to shoot them! They think it's like the movies, or their Grand Theft Auto CXVIII video game, until they shoot it and lob a round towards the Sun, and another round into the dirt 3 feet in front of them, before losing their grip and dropping the pistol in the dirt at their feet.

You'd be shocked if you saw the statistics on how wild some of these shooter's shots are! One round will hit a building 90 feet off the ground, another will hit a car at a 90 degree angle left from what they're shooting at, three more rounds will hit the ground right in front of them, another round will graze a stray dog 3 blocks away, two rounds will murder a garbage truck, three more rounds will injure a crowd of people nowhere near what their target is, and if they're lucky one round will strike their target in the right foot. Five more rounds will never be found.

This is the biggest reason to fear being shot in some of the cities like Chicago, Detroit, NYC and Baltimore. It's not because some gangbanger is actually shooting AT you, it's because you are far more likely to be hit by stray, wild, gunfire.
edit on 6/30/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
^^^

he's right you know

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   
More people are killed by .22 cal bullets than any other. So, I don't think it has anything to do with firearms becoming more anemic. More to do with the person pulling the trigger.

A 9mm round is plenty deadly.

The other factor which I think is relevant here is the type of ammo most of these street thugs use. Many of them are using FMJ ball ammo, some of it even steel. The reason for this is because it's cheap, and they don't know any better (thankfully). Taking a round from an FMJ bullet to an extremity is likely a through and through wound. As long as it doesn't hit an artery or bone, the victim can usually walk away. Even a center mass torso shot isn't necessarily deadly unless a vital organ is struck.

Hollow point ammunition on the other hand is a completely different story! The wound cavity with HP ammo is massive, and the fragmenting HP rounds are even worse. A person with a center-mass hit from a hollow point bullet is not walking away.

In 'da hood' people's backsides are a big target. You'd be surprised on how many people get shot in the butt. A butt-shot with FMJ ammo is a big deal, but it's not necessarily deadly. A butt-shot with HP ammo is almost always fatal if the victim doesn't receive immediate emergency medical care. Blood loss from a butt-shot is huge.
edit on 6/30/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   

This is why we carry concealed. Detroit. Every. Day. Even in the suburbs.....

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I think the low kill rate in Chicago is due to a combination of piss poor shooting, and a reliance on the 25 ACP handguns from Raven Arms, and other 'Saturday night specials', which are really hard to hit anything vital using. Also, the trauma care is pretty good in Chicago -- they have lots of experience, after all.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 08:51 AM
link   

PS Millions...millions of guns. ..are buried in trunks....along with
$$$$...waiting

We all understand that....
edit on 30-6-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

*Research: Biker Gangs, Street gangs, organized crime, subversives.

Millions of guns ..never to be revealed until???
edit on 30-6-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Chicago ministry of truth...

twitter.com...

I read somewhere that the military is sending their medical people to places like Chicago to get on-the-job training on gunshot wounds, etc. Some medical schools, too.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   

No...bullets are all standard sizes and loads are all standard load quantities.

It could be better medicine, or maybe better emergency transport. but occam says its that a bunch of newb morons pray and spray, and don't really hit much that kills people.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The short answer is that many of those shootings were done, randomly, into crowds some distance away. In other words, not contact/connected shootings. Purpose being rather non-personal, non-consequential to the shooter.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Pretty much all covered already,spray and pray just isn't good,just try blasting 3 shots into a flushing covey of quail.All that shot won't do any good.Then try picking one bird and concentrating on it,far more likey to kill it.People like Wyatt Earp and Sargeant York knew this,hood rats think lots of shots will take the place of accuracy.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Has the mortality rate ever been higher for handguns?

The reality is, handguns except maybe some .357/.44 magnums are not one shot, one stop killers.

Except for those, there isn't anything to "stopping power" for handguns.

It's largely mythological from movies, where handguns are dropping everyone where they stand. That's also why people scream about police shooting someone on video like 10 times, when the person just keeps on coming after them in some cases. It's because the public largely doesn't have accurate understanding of handgun power.

Then, add in modern medicine. That's largely the reason for decreased mortality. With modern medicine my understanding is a most street shootings are survived, unless you get hit in specific spots.

But, 100 years or more ago, infection and lack of quality medical care would have seen more deaths.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22

Obviously. Chicago has moved away from the .45 Colt caliber and have become very European.
This could be a good thing or a bad thing. Depending on perspective.
My first question? What has "this guy" been doing wrong, to be an "accidental target" so many times, in "recent years"?... Just minding his own business?

Not buying the story.

No, if anything, your average street gun has gone up in power from the 60's-80's and before.

For a long time, in those years, they were shooting everything from cheap .22 revolvers to .25 ACP mouse guns and if they were really packing heat, .38 special. The Saturday Night Specials.

Now, many more criminals are packing 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP.

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The FMJ versus HP thing is real.

But, this seems a bit exaggerated.

A .380 ACP hollowpoint won't penetrate for 90% of them, and may get as big as a .40 or .45 FMJ. In that case, a fully penetrating .40 or .45 FMJ is better. .22 for sure, they say to use round nose not HP due to expanding HPs often not penetrating. Same issue with everything .380 ACP and down.

But many 9mm won't open more than the size of a .45 ACP FMJ, although good ones will. My point is, I think the effectiveness is overexaggerated for HP too. It's not some magical bullet.

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

top topics

<<   2 >>

join