It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love the new ATS ads!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 02:47 PM
link   
These are great. No, seriously, well done to whoever is involved in this aspect of the site.

Here is an example: www.campingsurvival.com... aign=aff-ats-horiz

Relevant ads, good prices for a 12 MRE kit and it supports ATS + the ATS sponsor

Hats off ATS ad folks. Going to order some cases of these now.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Relevant, targeted advertising. Give it a click through if you are interested as click throughs generate more money faster. That metric tells the sponsor that their advertising dollars are being seen and spiking curiosity in the product. That way they can focus on finalizing the sale by pricing, bundling or other gimmicks knowing that the product itself is not the problem.

Works for MRE’s same as little plastic toy horses for kids. The product draws the interest. The pricing finalizes the sale. But it all starts with advertising to inform the public that a product is there. Buzz is just word of mouth advertising/testimonials and is part of the drawing interest phase.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ad on one side makes the topic posts sizable better. The last ad system on both sides made the topic posts too small for some users😃

This new ad system seems to NOT be overloading the computer processor either 😃

😎so far !!

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   
It is working out considerably better. I did click on the link, took a look around and saw what was on offer, nothing I'm particularly interested in at this time, but I would welcome other partnerships like this as long as the ad is not obtrusive like they have been in the past.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Relevant, targeted advertising. Give it a click through if you are interested as click throughs generate more money faster.

If that's true; I'd recommend that the new owner or a designated Mod start a new thread weekly (or more frequently) dedicated to a relivent advertiser. Like the OP

I don't pay attention to random ads that pop up but I did read the OP and did click the ad.

Radio shows do this; they have their regular generic ads but they also have the radio show host do a bit about their special advertisers.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

yeah but SO said the new owners were gonna go ad free.

This coming week will very likely see an exchange of ownership. Watch this space.
Note: The new owner has committed to run ATS without ads.
SO Post

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

yeah but SO said the new owners were gonna go ad free.

This coming week will very likely see an exchange of ownership. Watch this space.
Note: The new owner has committed to run ATS without ads.
SO Post

Ah yes,but reality has a way of changing goals. besides they arent intrusive.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Indeed, one should never go "camping" on an empty stomach.

As Bertolt Brecht observed: "Erst kommt das Fressen, dann die moral".
Loosely translated from German: "First comes the food, then the morality".
www.amazon.com...
edit on 18-6-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I'm all for it and I also like that deal...but I'm hesitant purchasing MREs so maybe you could tell us how it is?

And if the ad revenue comes rolling in sufficiently, shouldn't mods get paid something? Maybe a few bucks here and there would ease the tension their twisted panties are causing.

I'm joking!!!

This will get deleted for sure.

Please don't ban me.
edit on 05/30/2021 by EdisonintheFM because: Crapped out

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   
funny because I've been camping for the last 2 months and my ad here is about camping also, which I thought was good

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Well, if you read my post it was very generic and intentionally so. If I were to endorse a specific product that is a featured ad as a moderator that would be promoting. No different that say you linking a GoFundMe to some child you read about in an article that just tugged at your heart strings. As a person we can sympathize but as an entity we can’t along that promotion because ultimately we don’t know if it is scam or legit.

And while it is tough explaining that to a member with the best of intentions, try having the discussion with an owner of why their thread has to be removed for promoting. And yes it was removed because the T&C’s are for everyone.

That said have I, as a member, wrote a thread that was a testimonial of a product, probably (nothing really stands out). Have I said I won’t purchase a product again (negative review/testimonial), absolutely. But I leave it up to you as to whether you wish to patron such a product/establishment.

Personally, I like the targeted ads versus the Google AdSense random rotation. Have I checked out their site? Absolutely. Would I like to see them offer some more products like backpacks and fixed blade knives, yes. Am I in the market for items on their product list? Not really, but it never looks to look. Keep in mind, I am the kind of survivalist that can make a block and tackle in the woods to make building a log cabin easier. So gear beyond specific basic item isn’t a high priority for me. But do I ever like to look (and buy).

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Ad free for the time being...while looking at other means of revenue generation (if you want to be technical).

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: EdisonintheFM

Paid moderators would probably be a worse situation.

Would there be quotas to prove that we worked?
Would there be a Mod Union to negotiate with Owners and Admin?
Would Admin be grouped with Owners or with lessor Staff?
Mods have assigned forums and Super Mods have all forums, I have almost all forums except for some no longer used ones, so where do I fit on the pay scale versus Johnny Anonymous who has been a mod longer but May or may not has as man6 forums? Basically a seniority versus workload situation?

But basically a quota system would be bad news for some people, staff most of all because believe it or not we’d rather just read posts (and leave replies) without having to action (which ends participation as member because we cannot moderate threads we participated in except extreme circumstances).

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Just a quick question, considering our happy linking grounds are diminishing.
I have that feeling, increasingly sites want either free or paid subscriptions.
And then what I just saw below a YouTube clip: "I do not give permission to link or re-post this".
If you're going to be an attention-slut and post your clip on YouTube, does that have any bearing?
I won't, not even an example (it's actually a psychologist on Narcissistic/borderline personality disorder I wanted to add to an existing thread).

Out of courtesy I won't re-post, but is there any legal or moral reason, or obligation not to link or post something just because they say so?
Here's my very public YouTube clip.
I don't give you permission to link or re-post this?
Huh, I thought I was doing you a favor actually ... but now if I do link it here, am I going to get sued?
I only own a didgeridoo, and you'll never pry it from my freezing hands.
edit on 18-6-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I guess money does pose a problem. As usual.

I couldn't handle being a mod in some of these threads. There was one a few days ago where page 2 or 3 had almost all postings removed.

You guys should at least get a tee shirt....actually I'd buy some ATS gear if it was things for my bug out bag.

posted on Jun, 18 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: EdisonintheFM

Paid moderators would probably be a worse situation.

Would there be quotas to prove that we worked?

I worked as a paid moderator on a message board a while ago. Seemed to work out well.

The pay was a set value a week. The quota to make sure you were active was based on the number of quality posts you added to the board. If you were making quality threads you must be an active member of the community, if you where active it was assumed you were doing your job as a moder.

The pay wasn't a living wage by any means; but a few hundred dollars a week for participating in discussions of interest isn't a bad gig if you have the time. I eventually had to stop when I ran out of time.

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Even highly copyrighted material can fall under Fair Use. Also the video author might have a problem with YouTube’s advertising agreements which kinda depend on external linking to maximize viewings...now if I was a mod at YouTube, I’d help them get their wish to not be linked by expedited disengagement from them. “No one can link your content if it isn’t there.”

posted on Jun, 19 2021 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: EdisonintheFM

I'm all for it and I also like that deal...but I'm hesitant purchasing MREs so maybe you could tell us how it is?

And if the ad revenue comes rolling in sufficiently, shouldn't mods get paid something? Maybe a few bucks here and there would ease the tension their twisted panties are causing.

I'm joking!!!

This will get deleted for sure.

Please don't ban me.

Will do!

Whether MREs or Mountain House I love survival rations. MREs are nice because they are high calorie and fortified for exhausting physical activity

I stock up often. Sadly I usually end up eating them too

top topics

join