It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Old Gray Lady

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Four or five years ago, we reached a crossroads and an executive decision was made. We ended up being the sort-of proud owners of a 2004 Honda Civic of questionable background, a beater.

See ... our previous backup car had just given up the ghost, and we had, at the time, enough money to either put down a really nice down payment, or visit a seedy car lot and buy something cash off the lot. You never know what you're going to get at such a place and better know what you're doing going in, but at the same time, we didn't want to straddle two car payments.

So we took the plunge into the greasy underworld of the big city used car lot, and purchased a beat up silver Civic with the idea that all we had to do was get it to last for a couple years ... it made it longer.

But today, as it was driving me home, it's gasket burst, the heat indicator shot up dangerously high, and I was forced to park her in a nearly empty parking lot by a Dick's Sporting Goods and call for rescue.

We don't know for sure, but the signs aren't good. We think she's blown a head gasket.

RIP Old Gray Lady; you did more than we asked or expected.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I usually drive my cars into the ground By the time I'm done with them, best I can do is get a couple of hundred for the title from Pull-A-Part.

Congrats on milking your value out of the purchase.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Five years on a beater, good going. Head gasket? Fatal

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Four or five years ago, we reached a crossroads and an executive decision was made. We ended up being the sort-of proud owners of a 2004 Honda Civic of questionable background, a beater.

See ... our previous backup car had just given up the ghost, and we had, at the time, enough money to either put down a really nice down payment, or visit a seedy car lot and buy something cash off the lot. You never know what you're going to get at such a place and better know what you're doing going in, but at the same time, we didn't want to straddle two car payments.

So we took the plunge into the greasy underworld of the big city used car lot, and purchased a beat up silver Civic with the idea that all we had to do was get it to last for a couple years ... it made it longer.

But today, as it was driving me home, it's gasket burst, the heat indicator shot up dangerously high, and I was forced to park her in a nearly empty parking lot by a Dick's Sporting Goods and call for rescue.

We don't know for sure, but the signs aren't good. We think she's blown a head gasket.

RIP Old Gray Lady; you did more than we asked or expected.

If you parked it quickly enough you may not have done any serious damage to the engine. Replacing a head gasket isn’t necessarily that big a deal. Just sayin’…..

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   
A little warping never killed nobody bring it by the shop and I’ll skim the faces and true it up n get you a spacer for the new gasket and be good as new.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   

a nearly empty parking lot by a Dick's Sporting Goods

...and some morons said Dick's business wouldn't go in the toilet after they took a politically motivated stand and stopped selling firearms.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

If you know how to do it, maybe. But getting it done will cost more than the car did.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
could just be a blown radiator or even heater hose, it would empty out pretty quick if it blew apart. It might still be good for another year if that is the case. Did you actually put water in and give it an inspection to see where the water was coming out from?
edit on 15-6-2021 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   

edit on 15-6-2021 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 10:41 PM
link   
No No No! Never Never Ever NE-VER say die!
There is still hope. Yes behold the miracle of
the Harbor Freight Predator Engine Swap:

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 10:56 PM
link   

People laugh, but... my middle Smarter middle child brother bought a Honda cvcc.
got 12 years out of an already classic. Couple of gaskets here and there, but it lasted.

(This is my dumb butt) bought this.
an 82. Came complete with Oakley blades and mullet.

The DeLorean was the worst vehicle I ever owned.

I am deeply sorry for your loss😔

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: RavenSpeaks

I think that is neat. I could get into retrofitting something like that. I would definitely use a little bigger engine though so you could reroute the exhaust to the tires so it would smoke the tires.

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
Who painted the cursed car?

posted on Jun, 15 2021 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: Bigburgh
Who painted the cursed car?

Johnny Carson!

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Volvo engine and non stock rims too!😆😆

P O S!

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Hope your grandparents don't read your thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
could just be a blown radiator or even heater hose, it would empty out pretty quick if it blew apart. It might still be good for another year if that is the case. Did you actually put water in and give it an inspection to see where the water was coming out from?

No. The reservoir was fine, and we keep the maintenance regular on it so all the fluids were in good shape.

We have a friend who does some car work, and he thought the oil looked suspiciously liquid especially where it was getting up on needing to be changed. Given the lack of low levels of coolant anywhere, the way the temp gauge was spiking, and that ... we're leaning toward a blown head gasket is all.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

My grandparents weren't bought for around $3,000 each.

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

My grandparents weren't bought for around $3,000 each.

True. You got them for free

posted on Jun, 16 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

My daily commuter is a '99 Corolla base model that I got dirt cheap. Runs like a champ and saves me $100+ a month on gas over driving my truck every day.
This thing is so basic it doesn't have any power features. The look of confusion on my 15yr old son's face when I explained that the strange lever on the door was a window crank was priceless.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join