It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does Scarlet Letter mean in the medical profession

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   
For those in the medical profession, think of it as if your patient has been given a Scarlet Letter within the medical institutions. So how would a medical doctor approach or even want to approach a patient with such a stigma attach to him or her?

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Are you referring to the scarlett letter as being somehow tied to covid, or the vax? Your question is a bit vague.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Are you referring to the scarlett letter as being somehow tied to covid, or the vax? Your question is a bit vague.

It may in the long term have to do with the vax, but currently it is known that a private verbal threat has been made toward one that works in the medical profession. A threat that was to be confidential between a private party, but was released to the medical institution. I'm just curious how the medical institutions handles such an incident on that patients record and how it would affect treatments. I think in America its probably more common to here the expression " Black Listed ", but I am not sure.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It has happened everyday for many years where I live.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I do know one person that had some anxiety issues, kinda grumpy at times and a could be loud occasionally. He got a big red dot on his hospital records. The system still gave him appointments, but did not really do much except measure and take notes of his decline. Still got palliative care at the end, it helped through a tough time.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think there is something lost in translation here. A "Scarlet Letter" traditionally represents the shunning of someone who has "done wrong" in the eyes of his or her community. In Nathaniel Hawthorne's tale it was a red letter "A" for "adultery" that was meant to embarrass the lady who got it. She turned it around and embraced it, embroidering it on everything she had, so the whole idea backfired on the community. I don't know how this concept would work in the example you gave. I doubt the medical community has a special definition for the term.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I think there is something lost in translation here. A "Scarlet Letter" traditionally represents the shunning of someone who has "done wrong" in the eyes of his or her community. In Nathaniel Hawthorne's tale it was a red letter "A" for "adultery" that was meant to embarrass the lady who got it. She turned it around and embraced it, embroidering it on everything she had, so the whole idea backfired on the community. I don't know how this concept would work in the example you gave. I doubt the medical community has a special definition for the term.

I think in Japan for many cases of patients ,emotions are a strong point of treatment from the nurses and sometimes doctors and the rejection with a void of real treatment would lead to such an event for the patient in the future. Shunned was my thoughts about a scarlet letter. I knew about Nathaniel tale and the event that was mentioned in my post was to be private between said parties, but the medical institution got the report and the patient , well, I guess if I were to sum it up would have to be " Black Listed " now.

It will be interesting if and when more info is provided in the future to see what events have taken place. The world can be cruel at times.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Doctors just prescribe antidepressants or anti-psychotics or even anti-anxiety pills to anyone who questions their authority, which labels the people as crazy so other doctors can learn to beware of them. Using a prescription to tag a person as paranoid is common. There are anti-cholerogenic meds to take away people's ability to reason and challenge the doctors diagnosis.

posted on May, 28 2021 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The third most common cause of death in America last year was Medical errors.

Meaning that Doctors are the third most common cause of death in America.

You can bet that they cover their asses every way they can.

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I'm probably in the minority but I avoid doctors like the plague because of such things...occasionally they are necessary but 9:10 times not so much. That's with a solid medical family background...

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

We have the HIPPA law in America. Can't talk about patients. Not walking. Not in elevators. Not nurse chit chat, not to anyone not auth...it's a good one, not infalable ...

....but helps keep these go-beween private n legal. Mostly.

Take care over there MIM...stay well MS

posted on May, 29 2021 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: Lumenari

I'm probably in the minority but I avoid doctors like the plague because of such things...occasionally they are necessary but 9:10 times not so much. That's with a solid medical family background...

I got 4 docs and 1 Coumadin nurse. Done with em all soon! We gotta go...ya know?

It's just getting back out alive...!

top topics

join