It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britons will have to show photo ID to vote in future general elections

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That would be a fair point if elections ever made the slightest bit of difference.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   

where there are laws, there are cheaters... or something along those lines that are meant to be crossed

only one way to make sure no cheating happens ever again

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: smurfy

I have to say this is more a political distraction than anything else, there's a lot of other 'stuff' to be dealt with that might not see the light of day
.... as at the moment you don't even need to show your polling card to cast your vote and controls on postal ballots are nonexistent.

But you do need something to show ID if you forget the polling card,

When you arrive, you will be asked to show one form of photographic ID (e.g. passport, driving licence) OR two forms of non-photographic ID, such as a bank statement or utility bill that shows the address on the ballot paper. A full list of acceptable documents is shown below.

Photo ID (you need to bring one of the following)

a passport issued by the United Kingdom, a Commonwealth country or a member state of the European Union
a photocard driving licence (including a provisional licence) issued in the United Kingdom or by a Crown Dependency, or by a member State of the European Union
an electoral identity card issued under section 13C (electoral identity card: Northern Ireland) of the Representation of the People Act 1983
a biometric immigration document issued in the United Kingdom in accordance with regulations made under section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007
an identity card issued in the European Economic Area
an Oyster 60+ London Pass
a Freedom Pass (London)
a PASS scheme card (national proof of age standards scheme
Non photographic ID (you need to bring two of the following, one of which must show your registered address)

a valid bank or building society debit card or credit card
a poll card for the poll
a driving licence (including a provisional licence) which is not in the form of a photocard.
a birth certificate
a marriage or civil partnership certificate
an adoption certificate
a firearms certificate granted under the Firearms Act 1968
the record of a decision on bail made in respect of the voter in accordance with section 5(1) of the Bail Act 1976
a bank or building society cheque book
a mortgage statement dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
a bank or building society statement dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
a credit card statement dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
a utility bill dated within 3 months of the date of the poll
a council tax demand letter or statement dated within 12 months of the date of the poll
a Form P45 or Form P60 dated within 12 months of the date of the poll

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Your every purchase will be monitored - and regulated? - your every movement will be recorded and subject to facial recognition.

Given the video systems installed in the local ASDA tills my every purchase is monitored , I prefer Sainsbury's though no monitors in there.
We are already one of the most monitored populations in the world and have been for some time , we even voluntarily carry our own tracking devices.

I don't see how asking people to prove they have the right to vote would make our lives any more monitored than they already are.
I'm against ID cards on principle but as mentioned above I already have to carry one.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

But you do need something to show ID if you forget the polling card

I didn't last time I voted , went straight from work and didn't have my card , told them my name and address and in I went.
edit on 10-5-2021 by gortex because: spelling

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

that is great and if voting could change anything it would be illegal...

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I understand all that....I just don't like it and think that its a very dangerous road we are going down.

I don't profess to have the answers.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

That would be a fair point if elections ever made the slightest bit of difference.

Touche'

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene
Further to Gortex's reply, here is a vote count in action.

Open to public view. Also party representatives on hand, jealously watching to make sure their candidate isn't being cheated.

edit on 10-5-2021 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If Gove's got his dirty mittens in this then it's all about your nice new ''vaccine'' passport.
Just another way to encourage people to get their new tracked and knows everything about you global i.d.
Social credit system,tested in China comes to the U.K.
That disgusting little gnome is doing exactly what his bosses in the IMF want him to do.
Say goodbye to freedom,it was nice while it lasted.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   
It sounds like a GOOD idea BUT?.

The problem with this is that ALL photo ID has to be paid for and in an age when many people are having to choose between heating or eating, becoming homeless and losing things like there ID as a result etc this is actually extremely DISCRIMINATORY against the poorest in our nation.

I believe rather than ALL voters would be better served by ensuring they did not vote twice and if they did was it them or someone else doing that vote rigging.

Down in Scarisbrick in West Lancashire about half way between the town of Ormskirk and Southport there is a small Catholic Church, quite a lovely one actually but it often get's used as a polling station, about ten years ago now my mother made her vote, it was late at night about two hours before the polling station shut down and as she walked into the quiet church building she witnessed one of the men putting a ballot paper back into the open box and putting the lid on, they did not notice my mother and had a bit of a start when they saw her but tried to appear as if everything was in order as there were only two of them there but as the man put the paper back into the box before closing it she heard him say "There that's sorted now".

She made her vote but believed the ballot's had been tampered with so at my urging contacted the authority's but nothing was ever done about it.

Photo ID will not make one iota of a difference to that BUT it will discriminate against the mostly left wing voting poorest voters in our society.

Personally I believe that the general election in our nation has been rigged several times, once definitely on the night Neil Kinnock should have been elected and once during when Miliband was leader of the Labour Party, I suspect that Kinnock was paid of or blackmailed off because he did very well financially afterwards and also got a knighthood as well but on the night most of Labour whom had been celebrating there WIN were shocked when a farting tiny constituency returned enough votes to swing the election to the Tory's.

I also believe there may have been other instances in the preceding elections and outside interference was a definite likelihood since there was a view that Labour would be more friendly to the Communists during the cold war.

But of course I can not prove that, of that the blank ballot's that went missing from a group 4 van that matched, somehow, mysteriously very closely the number by which the Tory's won that election was anything other than a coincidence.

Photo ID sounds great, but unless the government gives them away free of Charge all it will do is prevent those with NO mean's from voting.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

there are worse, there are better, none is truly democratic... seperating church from state was on good step now we should seperate state from economics.
Maybe that would rid some of the dynamics making governments a joke to the ones they were meant to represent.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I don't understand why people would be against making it harder to cheat in an election.

Unless they actually want to make it easier to cheat. . . .

You know...., if someone cheat next time, who's gonna blame the queen ?

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There is known to be low-level voter fraud in come communities and areas. Sadly, mainly in places with ethnic minorites who (we are told) traditionally vote Labour. The backlash from the Left-leaning media on this is because it essentially admits that this type of personation fraud exists. Similarly, postal voting is open to abuse, and is abused.

The lack of prosecutions just show how difficult fraud is to prove.

While I will miss the trust that I am who I say I am, I think that ensuing zero fraud at elections is more important.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
The problem with this is that ALL photo ID has to be paid for and in an age when many people are having to choose between heating or eating...

92% of people have some form of verified photo ID. There will be provison for the remaining 8%, we are told.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

We will have to wait and see what form this PROVISION takes.

But you are correct about the vote rigging in many ethnic minority areas, mostly it happens among the Islamic community and since most of the men believe woman should not have any right's and yet we give there woman votes they force there will there as well and I am afraid there is very little we can about that.

edit on 10-5-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Very, very bad move. It sounds lovely "voting integrity" but what they are really asking for is an identity card. The next step is by law you must always carry your identity card. Can you see where this can lead. And don't give me the old chestnut of "if you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear".

Can I provide you with the old chestnut of "your logical fallacy is: the slippery/slope logical fallacy" instead?

When I lived in Kentucky here in the US, we had to have ID to vote AND we could only vote on a single day (unless you did an absentee ballot)--there was no law that we had to always have ID on our person at all times because of that. That's a rather silly notion, to be honest. You need to consider probability in this equation.

But who knows, maybe it's so different over there that it's a valid concern, but from where I sit, that seems excessively alarmist.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It's extremely well timed if you think about it.

People are discussing the ramifications of the ID while a vast majority have a smartphone.

Governments don't even have to demand you have an ID. Society does that. Do you want a bank account? You have to have an ID. Get a place to rent? ID. New job? ID.

The discussion of relationship between government and ID's to me is moot and antiquated.

It's not that I don't understand the point of view people have on it, hell, I agree to a certain level. But, we're far past ID's in most countries.

The UK is part of five eyes for instance. So not only is your government spying on you, my government likely is as well and vise versa.

I know in the US... Technically I could not show an officer my ID. That applies even if I'm driving assuming I'm not being stopped for an infraction. But if it's a checkpoint, hypothetically I could tell them they can't hinder me from traveling freely. I wouldn't do that, because frankly it's not worth it. But it doesn't even matter.

Hypothetically, I don't have to have a smartphone, but any job would require me to have a phone. Many now are even past "wanting" you to have apps.

I don't like where all this is going. The writing is on the wall, and people are (IMO) picking the wrong hills to stand on while the real victories are taken without any dispute at all.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

What about all the people who are mentally incapable of acquiring an I.D. ?

That's about 80,000.000 + folks in the US.
Here , one gets an I.D. as long as they have the $30 , regardless of mental capability .
A lot are prepared and provided for free by the Democratic Party. (re all the fake I.D.s they confiscated coming into Florida before the election . Most likely printed in China .)

I wish our friends across the pond better luck than we have had with this sort.

posted on May, 10 2021 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

sounds totally racist. Or can black folk from the UK get to the ID place better than those of the US?

Black people in the UK are smarter than black people in the US. Duhhh. The evil US keeps black people living in the hood and enslaved while black people in the UK were never enslaved or segregated.

/sarc

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join