It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungi on Mars? Evidence of Growth and Behavior

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Researchers studying a series of sequential photos of the surface of Mars and the Rover have discovered what appear to be possibly signs of fungal life. The images show a series of formations that grow and shrink with the seasons. Black fungi like specimens were found on.the Rover itself and

'White protoplasmic-mycelium-like-tendrils with fruiting-body-like appendages form networks upon and above the surface; or increase in mass as documented by sequential photographs. Hundreds of dimpled donut-shaped "mushroom-like" formations approximately 1mm in size are adjacent or attached to these mycelium-like complexes.'

The formations seem to resemble black mold, puffbalis, algae and other fungal life.

Personally myself, i believe that if there's any kind of life out there on our neighbouring planets, it's likely fungal in nature. Fungi are some of the hardiest most pervasive life on Earth. Life as we know it wouldn't exist without them.

www.researchgate.net...

Fungi thrive in radiation intense environments. Sequential photos document that fungus-like Martian specimens emerge from the soil and increase in size, including those resembling puffballs (Basidiomycota). After obliteration of spherical specimens by the rover wheels, new sphericals-some with stalks-appeared atop the crests of old tracks. Sequences document that thousands of black arctic "araneiforms" grow up to 300 meters in the Spring and disappear by Winter; a pattern repeated each Spring and which may represent massive colonies of black fungi, mould, lichens, algae, methanogens and sulfur reducing species. Black fungi-bacteria-like specimens also appeared atop the rovers. In a series of photographs over three days (Sols) white amorphous specimens within a crevice changed shape and location then disappeared. White protoplasmic-mycelium-like-tendrils with fruiting-body-like appendages form networks upon and above the surface; or increase in mass as documented by sequential photographs. Hundreds of dimpled donut-shaped "mushroom-like" formations approximately 1mm in size are adjacent or attached to these mycelium-like complexes. Additional sequences document that white amorphous masses beneath rock-shelters increase in mass, number, or disappear and that similar white-fungus-like specimens appeared inside an open rover compartment. Comparative statistical analysis of a sample of 9 spherical specimens believed to be fungal "puffballs" photographed on Sol 1145 and 12 specimens that emerged from beneath the soil on Sol 1148 confirmed the nine grew significantly closer together as their diameters expanded and some showed evidence of movement. Cluster analysis and a paired sample 't' test indicates a statistically significant size increase in the average size ratio over all comparisons between and within groups (P = 0.011). Statistical comparisons indicates that arctic "araneiforms" significantly increased in length in parallel following an initial growth spurt. Although similarities in morphology are not proof of life, growth, movement, and changes in shape and location constitute behavior and support the hypothesis there is life on Mars.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This was voiced quite a few years ago with footage showing this expansion and contraction at the poles. I think at the time it was suggested it was Lichen but I think the plumped for ice.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88
This should be headline all over the world? I wonder how big the funghi network really is, it's square miles on earth, these are the biggest entities we know, even though it's just funghi.

What would this mean for contaminating earth through a future manned mars mission? If there are funghi on mars, we might have brought some of our own with rovers and already tainted the planet, changed the funghi's course of evolution.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Can't they get a clearer closer look at it, to more thoroughly inspect it?

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Weren't those the formations that were jokingly referred to as Banyan trees at one time?

A Martian fungal infestation getting to earth is the stuff of nightmares and probably a couple of sci-fi stories.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

.... If there are funghi on mars, we might have brought some of our own with rovers and already tainted the planet, changed the funghi's course of evolution.

Something I hadn't thought about before....

I wonder if NASA tries to remove any/all human DNA that may have ended up on the rovers, before sending them to Mars.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

Weren't those the formations that were jokingly referred to as Banyan trees at one time?

A Martian fungal infestation getting to earth is the stuff of nightmares and probably a couple of sci-fi stories.

Prometheus, sorta.

I suspect that Mars and Earth will share some organism types that would reside int he venn crossover of the 2 environments. I also suspect that genetic data has been travelling between the 2 planets (more from mars than us) for millions of years.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Are you referring to this pic?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think that was Stephen Kings segment on the original Creepshow movie.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

Are you referring to this pic?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think that was Stephen Kings segment on the original Creepshow movie.

Looks like Mars is a woman. Contrary to the book.
edit on 6-5-2021 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

They're built in sterile clean rooms, it's impressive the lengths they go to to avoid contamination.

Uh, second line, sorry lol

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:33 PM
link   

The tree illusion...

The Martian"trees" are actually dark basaltic sand pushed to the surface of sand dunes by sun-heated solid carbon dioxide ice, or dry ice,sublimating directly into vapor, explained Candy Hansen, a member of NASA'sMars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) team at the University of Arizona.

Sounds like Rhawn Gabriel Joseph the "cough" cosmologist is still relying on gullibility and low res or old photos to support the nonsense.

Even so, I'd think the issue of carrying something back to Earth like a fungus or bacteria is a very real concern. I'd imagine the first samples to come back would likely be sanitized off planet or treated very carefully on arrival.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   

This does not look serous at all. Researchgate is supposedly an academic social networking site?

Rhawn Gabriel Joseph is a neuroscientist who seems to be obsessed with the idea of life on Mars.

In 2014, Joseph sued NASA for failing to investigate a claim he had made regarding a rock on Mars encountered by the Opportunity rover, which he believed to be a living thing. (He later withdrew the case.)

www.inverse.com...
edit on 6-5-2021 by moebius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I think they do clean it thourough, but contamination can happen. I remember reading this about a different rover where they speculated that the cleaning process wasn't done correct and some results were sketchy because of it.

There was talk about bacteria being found on mars and that it's probably from earth. They at least have a protocol for it, that is sure.

Here is something I found, you can go from there even if the source turns out to be sketchy, you will find terms that you can use for own research.
www.theringer.com...

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Prometheus, sorta.

I suspect that Mars and Earth will share some organism types that would reside int he venn crossover of the 2 environments. I also suspect that genetic data has been travelling between the 2 planets (more from mars than us) for millions of years.

As i understand it, Earth gets bombarded with rocks and dust from Mars all the time.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   

edit on 6-5-2021 by ByteChanger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I did say "jokingly" referred to as Banyan trees.

I've got a feeling it was the site that also had the alleged "glass tube" looking features which they described as irrigation or transport tubes.

I took it with some pretty hefty grains of salt back then and I've always been sceptical about interpretations of these kind of things from folk with a clear agenda.

Thanks for all the replies, though, and S&F to dug88.

edit on 652021 by Tulpa because: Spilling

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Neuropsychologist. He studies behavior.

Kind of makes one scratch the old noggin wondering where his expertise on Mars came from

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Yes you did.

The topic of possible life on Mars and could some nasty bug be carried back in samples or on spaceships is a valid one and an interesting one.

I'm not fond of these folks who try and enrich themselves by playing to the gullible and illiterate, but they do bring good topics to the forefront often. An important one when it's to do with possible biological contaminants being unwanted guests on returning ships and samples.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It seems to me that the astronomers that saw seasonal changes on Mars (the old canals photos) could have been during a time when the fungus is more widespread or during times when there is more moisture.

posted on May, 6 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I wouldn't care if there were ten foot tall edible mushrooms on Mars, I would never want to go there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join