It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shortages: Bicycles and Boats

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
bicycle (and parts) shortage issues

kttc.com...

The pandemic interrupted the supply chain for the bicycle industry. There was a time where you used to be able to walk right into a bicycle shop, pick out a bike and be on your way. That's not the case anymore.

Rochester Cycling owner Matt Hawkins said it's been a struggle getting inventory in stock.

"The warehouses that used to be stockpiled with bikes, now sit empty," Hawkins said.

He said the current wait for a lot of his inventory is going on eight months. He said it's because all the industries that are related to bike production were also affected by the pandemic, slowing everything down.

"The parts aren't available to actually assemble the bikes," Hawkins said. "You need all the ingredients to make the bikes. You need shipping containers to put the bikes in. You need freight companies to expedite the shipments. You need railways to get the bikes to the warehouses. All those industries are having problems right now."

and boats (and motors)
www.pymnts.com...

Escalating boat sales fueled by the coronavirus pandemic have created nationwide shortages of vessels in the U.S. as people clamored to find socially-distanced activities to engage in outside of their homes.

Boat sales, as well as the demand for marine products and services, reached $47 billion, a 9 percent increase over 2019, according to the fourth-quarter report by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) on Friday (March 19).

“Despite the challenges marine manufacturers faced in 2020, optimism among marine CEOs was strong in Q4 as the industry experienced a 13-year record increase in boat sales,” according to Vicky Yu, senior director of business intelligence for NMMA.

Yu added that the boating industry continues to take a hit from the pandemic due to weather conditions and supply chain snags.

anyone with firsthand knowledge / impact?
pandemic is interfering wi manufacturing and distributing. now people are coming out of hibernation to resume their lives they wants some toys.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

I don’t know about boats or bicycles, but appliances are an absolute nightmare right now.
I need a new cooktop and I might be resorting to EBay or FB marketplace soon....

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I ran into this issue while pricing out a new bike and yes it's but frustrating. But I ended up buying a preowned Cannondale for $1400 that retails for $2900 new. And I love it.

The preowned market is tremendous and many sellers are willing to ship. Just think of how many people bought bikes last spring/summer and realized that it's easier to sit on the couch and order takeout!

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I don’t know about boats or bicycles, but appliances are an absolute nightmare right now.
I need a new cooktop and I might be resorting to EBay or FB marketplace soon....

I remember a huge appliance shortage last year
thought it was over. I guess not.
thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's the same with PC parts.

Been waiting to snag a Ryzen 9 5900x (or 5950x) and an RTX 3080, but No Bueno.

I would get a 3070, however they're only available in EIGHT(8)Gb and that's straight criminal, at minimum 10Gs....
edit on 9-4-2021 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I remember a huge appliance shortage last year thought it was over. I guess not. thanks for sharing.

I’m not sure about last year, but it is horrible right now.
I guess even new house builders can’t get appliances so they are selling houses without them.
There are some items that are back ordered until August.

Don’t even get me started on furniture...

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

There's a very well known appliance maker in Wisconsin that has inventory since they make everything here in the US.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

That is true. My stove went out last October and I was able to get it replaced this March. NOTHING was available for six-months. I felt lucky to get one via Home Depot. It's nice to have an oven again.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Yes, so many industries in trouble create a chain reaction effect from manufacturer to consumers.

As you say, people are champing at the bit to start living again!

How about mixing biking and boating... Looks like a lot of fun!

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

There's a very well known appliance maker in Wisconsin that has inventory since they make everything here in the US.

Who? I’ve been calling all these places and they say 8++++ weeks back order.
They may be holding stock for certain corporate buyers or something.

I was willing to travel out of state to pick something up, but it appears the states around us are worse when it comes to wait times.
edit on 9-4-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Wolf.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:36 PM
link   
No wonder John Titor needed that IBM 5100

Who Knew lol

John Titor & The IBM 5100

The IBM 5100 did, indeed, contain functionality that was hidden from the public. At a time when most computers could only support the BASIC programming language, the IBM 5100 had the ability to emulate programs in both BASIC for system/3 and APL for system/370 (the “system” in this case refers to IBM mainframes). According to Bob Dubke, one of the IBM 5100 engineers, this function was hidden “because of worries about how [IBM’s] competition might use it.”

That piece of the story is verifiably correct.

Even if the function weren’t hidden, however, the general public, especially around 2000-2001, most likely had little idea that such a machine even existed. Whoever the individual posting as John Titor was, he knew his stuff.

So, if the UNIX timeout of 2038 is to be a serious problem, and if in 2036 we require the ability to “reverse engineer” or debug certain code to prevent a technological apocalypse, a 5100 could be our go-to machine.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:37 PM
link   
ABS plastic pellets are a 25 week lead time.
I know a guy that ordered 240lbs and got 40lbs.

One of my clients couldn't get blowers for inflating sports equipment.

Everything imported is on a boat or waiting to be unloaded.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Wolf.

I called an authorized dealer and they said 8++++ weeks. I seriously think they are being held for
Builders or something. The odd thing is on their websites, it will say it’s available, or 1 in stock or crap like that.
If you call it’s another story.

I might break down an buy a really ugly Viking. I hate to buy something I don’t really want but
I’m afraid the shortage is going to last a while and I’ll be sorry if I don’t get something soon.
If all else fails I will be grilling outside all summer.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Huh, I was just on with them (they're a customer) and they said they had inventory of everything except the Cove dishwashers. Odd.

Try a few more just to be sure.

edit on 9-4-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I had a bit of trouble ordering filters for my water reverse osmosis system.

Advice you all to buy your filters with some anticipation.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Huh, I was just on with them (they're a customer) and they said they had inventory of everything except the Cove dishwashers. Odd.

Do you have some kind of special connection due to your industry?
Remember I am just a peon consumer.

I also might not be calling the right “authorized” dealer.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Wolf.

Well, I WAS interested, until I looked at the prices. Holy #, talk about sticker shock.

I'll get another Oster nuker, $200 or thereabouts I can justify kissing away on a very low-use appliance. No way at $800, ouch.
edit on 4/9/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   

No, they don't play favs, they're really by the book. See above, I added a link.

posted on Apr, 9 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Well, I WAS interested, until I looked at the prices. Holy #, talk about sticker shock.

As a former chef an Easy Bake oven won't cut it for me, been there, done that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join