It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TOP GUN 1980's

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 07:36 PM
link   
so i was watching the original top gun and I just noticed all the 'Russian' birds have sidewinders and they are the training version

also the "MiG's were F-5's

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Were you expecting real MIGs with Russian pilots ?

Russian Air force collaborating in an American film where their a$$es get kicked ?

You don't know Russians my friend.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I was like 5 when this movie came out so I would say it is just funny/disappointing to notice as an adult

and I knew the 1980 Russians, we still practiced hiding under our desks in 2nd grade, hiding from Russian MIRV's

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: Trueman

I was like 5 when this movie came out so I would say it is just funny/disappointing to notice as an adult

and I knew the 1980 Russians, we still practiced hiding under our desks in 2nd grade, hiding from Russian MIRV's

I don't know if you remember when Russians shot down a Korean commercial flight back in 1983. After that, All Russian commercial flights where blocked worldwide.

I was in the last Aeroflot flight just before that. Our flight was denied to land in a couple of places before the final destination. One day I'll tell the whole story here.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Yes I knew, granted I was much much much older than 5 when I saw it. It's been a good piece of trivia over the years👍😊

www.imdb.com...

edit on 29-3-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Wasn't the aircraft supposed to be Libyan ?
Correct me if I am wrong .

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm Iceman. That's how I fly. Ice. Cold.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuicideKing33

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 08:51 PM
link   

so i was watching the original top gun and I just noticed all the 'Russian' birds have sidewinders and they are the training version

Permission to buzz the tower is a negatory ghost rider.

I knew that when i watched it 1st time. Why? because i used to read JANES,on a daily basis and would peruse the shadows/outlines of the aircraft. The minature work was pretty good though.

Here I think this was the sidewinder Equivilant below in link.
Russian heatseeker Archer

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: SuicideKing33

You never close your eyes anymore when i kiss your lips.....
theres no tenderness anymore in your fingertips....
Youre trying hard not to show it...,but babby!!baby i know it!!!
Youve lost that loving feeling!! Oh that loving feeling!! youve lost that loving feeling now its gone gon egone..woah whoa whoaaaa.

*me and my Best Friend sang this in a talent show at school lol.

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

tom was drinking and stuff in the video so it must be his pre-scientology's days

as a side note

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 09:10 PM
link   

YEah. funny thing...i am reading your responses liek Roger is speaking LMAO!!

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Permission to buzz the tower is a negatory ghost rider.

I knew that when i watched it 1st time. Why? because i used to read JANES,on a daily basis and would peruse the shadows/outlines of the aircraft. The minature work was pretty good though.

Here I think this was the sidewinder Equivilant below in link.
Russian heatseeker Archer

Just great! what government watch list did you get me on by clicking that link!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Lol...

😀

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 01:25 AM
link   
It's weird I sat down to watch Top Gun when it first was on cable and I never got into it. Seen bits and pieces but even over the years, I've never watched it in its entirety. I watch Tom Cruise's movies I mostly like them especially appreciate American Made, Usually love military movies both old and new but this was just so so for me.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Yeah, people in the know at the time picked those things up. But it was a movie and others watching would go ooh, ahh.

Lots of other Tom Cruise BS in that flicker.

Cheers.

Bally

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Better late than never I suppose. That was my biggest hangup when I first saw the movie in the theater.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

That was almost Tom Cruise's LAST movie. The scene where he's in the water with the parachute almost killed him. The rescue swimmer that jumped out of the helicopter was a NAVY rescue swimmer. He was a Senior Chief that trained me. The Coast Guard wanted nothing to do with that parachute. That is one of the most dangerous situation for both the pilot and the swimmer. If that chute fills with water and sinks it can take both the pilot and the swimmer with it. He had just got Cruise clear of the chute when it sank. When we train for that we do it in a pool where the bottom of the pool is a metal grate that can be raised to the surface in seconds.

I saw Top Gun in VF-31's Ready Room. I was sitting next to the Senior Chief that ran the shop that serviced the ejection seats. He still says Goose hitting the canopy like that was pure bullsh*t.
edit on 30-3-2021 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I took a history course at Michigan State in the late 80s, maybe it was 1990, and the instructor was the Top Gun screenwriter , his last name is Cash. He also wrote the film "Legal Eagles'. Students would come up to him after class to hand him things to read, movie ideas, etc. We watched dozens of classic films in the class, very illuminating and it was great to have access to someone who had experience like that.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 09:01 AM
link   
china didn't catch that, they used one scene for a propaganda clip.

They soon pointed out that the aircraft the J-10 was shown shooting down was an F-5, an American aircraft, directly lifted from the movie “Top Gun”.

China Used Top Footage From Top Gun

and their version of topgun,

top topics

<<   2 >>

join