It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pathos Nethack Codex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Any roguelike fans on ATS?

Stumbled on this gem of a game after getting kinda bored with pixel dungeon and its million derivatives and remembering why the ports of nethack and cdda on android are kinda clunky.

pathos.azurewebsites.net...

It's available on PC, android and ios. It's a remake of nethack, with some features of slash'em, unnethack, and other variants, as far as I know no original code was ported, with a streamlined interface. It plays much like nethack with built in spoilers, a bit less depth and a bit more accessibility. If you've ever wanted a decent, full featured roguelike on the go that's not a chore to play, I recommend giving it a try.

For those of you that have read this far and have no idea what I'm talking about. Nethack is a game with text for graphics where you descend into a dungeon as an adventurer of some sort with mechanics vaguely based on dungeons and dragons in which it's possible for one to do such things as polymorph into a cockatrice, lay eggs, polymorph back into one's original form and then use said eggs as grenades of stoney death that turn ones foes into statues, as long as you're wearing gloves lest you become a statue, with the penalty of a small decrease in luck due to destroying an egg laid while polymorphed into an egg laying creature.

Also, it's extremely obtuse and people play for decades without ever completing it or even understanding half the things it's possible to do in the game.

Pretty much that.
edit on 24/3/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Nethack Redux?

~Perk~

Thank you for the heads up!

This weekend I will once again start my collection of YASDs!

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

My last character was a gunslinging elf infected with rabies killed by a small kitten after I used my last bullet on a rothe in minetown. I tried zapping the only wand I had. It just made the little bastard faster.

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

My last character was a gunslinging elf infected with rabies killed by a small kitten after I used my last bullet on a rothe in minetown. I tried zapping the only wand I had. It just made the little bastard faster.

I had forgotten about the game for the most part, although I poked around on it for the better part of 20 years.

It was so obtuse it was challenging and frustrating at the same time.

However, having gamed the latest stuff for the last decade or so, I think it would be really fun to get back into it.

So thank you very much for the heads up and I'll mess around with it again soon!

ETA... I am one of those odd people that entirely agree with a "permadeath" RPG.

To me it just makes everything you do that much more... important.

edit on 24-3-2021 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I go on and off it over the years. Sometimes I get in the mood for it and I binge a bunch then don't play it for a while. I missed the updated to actual nethack to 3.6.6 like 5 years ago or something. I hate sokoban so much. Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt. It's why sometimes when I think about playing it I just don't. The sokoban in this one is more tedious and frustratin, but also a bit easier as far as rules go, but also more optional, I got a pile of crap after spending like a half hour on it.

Also, petrify is nerfed for better or worse. It's not always a YASD any more. Though it still #s you up if you're bei.g swarmed. There's also a crafting bench feature that seems like it could get a bit cheesy. Though I haven't gotten last level 15 yet. Monster spawning also seems a bit wonky. You start getting a ton of baby dragons and other things around level 7 or 8.
edit on 24/3/2021 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Have you tried Buriedbornes on Android?

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Any roguelike fans on ATS?

Stumbled on this gem of a game after getting kinda bored with pixel dungeon and its million derivatives and remembering why the ports of nethack and cdda on android are kinda clunky.

pathos.azurewebsites.net...

It's available on PC, android and ios. It's a remake of nethack, with some features of slash'em, unnethack, and other variants, as far as I know no original code was ported, with a streamlined interface. It plays much like nethack with built in spoilers, a bit less depth and a bit more accessibility. If you've ever wanted a decent, full featured roguelike on the go that's not a chore to play, I recommend giving it a try.

For those of you that have read this far and have no idea what I'm talking about. Nethack is a game with text for graphics where you descend into a dungeon as an adventurer of some sort with mechanics vaguely based on dungeons and dragons in which it's possible for one to do such things as polymorph into a cockatrice, lay eggs, polymorph back into one's original form and then use said eggs as grenades of stoney death that turn ones foes into statues, as long as you're wearing gloves lest you become a statue, with the penalty of a small decrease in luck due to destroying an egg laid while polymorphed into an egg laying creature.

Also, it's extremely obtuse and people play for decades without ever completing it or even understanding half the things it's possible to do in the game.

Pretty much that.

Ahhh nethack. Moria. Omega. All great fun and frustrating as all get out.

posted on Mar, 25 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

No I'll check it out though.

posted on Mar, 30 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'll take a look, thanks. I was playing roguelikes back when Nethack replaced Hack...
Rogue, Larn, Moria... I played most of the oldschool stuff.

top topics

join