It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Final Thoughts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Background: I do a lot of toy photography. Often times I add a little backstory to the picture. I'm not a great writer, but I thought you might enjoy this and the accompanying photographs.

Stranded

They fought the good fight, but those infected with the virus proved too much of a match. It has been six weeks since the others succumbed to the virus. Commander Griffon was the lone survivor. He’d lost his entire crew. He was now alone on a rock that was never meant to support human life. His rations had run out three days ago and he had, at most, two hours of oxygen left.

Understandably once NASA got word of the virus they shut off all hope of returning. He was now stranded. Alone. His thoughts turned to his children. Griffon wished they’d kept the SATCOM open so he could talk to his kids one last time. Just one last time, but the risk of him revealing the truth was not one they were prepared to take. Sure NASA would fabricate some story about a hydrogen leak that caused an explosion or something equally believable. The truth would never be made public. Ever.

He could feel the virus taking hold. He was losing his identity. Losing focus. His vision getting blurry. He wanted one last look at the Earth with his unobstructed eyes. He’d wait until North America was in view. Maybe his children were looking up at the same time. This gave him comfort as the last vestiges of his humanity slipped away.

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2021 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ratcals

Great storytelling! Now I'm curious as to what transpired to get Commander Griffon and his perished crew to this point.

Also, this would have been a worthy entry into the last short story contest. Please try and participate next time.

The pictures are brilliant, too!

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Thank you for your kind words. There was no real back story. Most of my photographs are stand alone scenes. Although there was a one picture precursor to this one with minimal dialogue. I don’t usually frequent the short story forum, but I’ll keep it in mind for the next contest.

Commander Griffon: Watkins, put your damn helmet on.

Jensen: Commander, I think it’s too late for that.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 06:28 AM
link   

We need fresh blood in our story contests,next time we have one
you should enter a story.Flag and star for this story.

posted on Mar, 19 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Thanks to you for your kind words, but I hardly consider my work worthy of any competition. I will keep an eye out for the next contest though. When do they usually start?

posted on Mar, 20 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

This story was good and worth reading.The only advice that I
can give you is to go for it. Write about things you know,what
you like and like to read.Members' here will read your stories
and just keep posting them and one day you could win a contest.

top topics

join