It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism and the Uncanny Valley?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2021 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
And that is exactly the only criteria in an Uncanny Valley situation. It has everything to do with appearance.

Is it though? Seems to be just as much about none-verbal, emotional, responses. ie, it looks right but something, unseeable or intangible, is absent?

Karl MacDorman, an associate professor of human-computer interaction at Indiana University who has long studied the uncanny valley, interprets the classic graph not as expressing Mori’s theory but as a heuristic for learning the concept and organizing observations.

“I believe his theory is instead expressed by his examples, which show that a mismatch in the human likeness of appearance and touch or appearance and motion can elicit a feeling of eeriness,” MacDorman says. “In my own experiments, I have consistently reproduced this effect within and across sense modalities. For example, a mismatch in the human realism of the features of a face heightens eeriness; a robot with a human voice or a human with a robotic voice is eerie.”

spectrum.ieee.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: KilgoreTrout
Is it though? Seems to be just as much about none-verbal, emotional, responses. ie, it looks right but something, unseeable or intangible, is absent?

Yeah, the term was created to describe a response to robots?

Why do we feel the Alien in the movie ALIEN is scary? It's all visual.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
Why do we feel the Alien in the movie ALIEN is scary? It's all visual.

Haha...really? I'd suggest that you read up on theatrical "magic" and the psychology of movie making because I can assure you that the "scariness" of the alien was almost entirely a response you were conditioned to experience and most of that was auditory not visual at all. Seeing is merely the climax, once you see it, it loses much of it's potency to scare you.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Honestly, there's more important things in life, than all this racism-obsessed LUNACY that liberals want at the forefront of EVERYTHING. Life is short, and I'm not wasting it on IDIOCY like "race theory."
I give due respect to those deserving of it -- skin color is irrelevant to this.

edit on 7-4-2021 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join