It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How A Term Used By Thugs and Rappers For Gun Fights Infiltrated US Culture and the Mainstream Media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You can hardly escape reading an article online nowadays or watching a "news" program on TV, without encountering the term "clap back". As with many pop culture phenomenons, and especially with the emergence of hip new buzzwords, very rarely do people stop to consider where such ideas originated, or in the case of buzzwords, the etymological history of the term.

Take the term "clap back" for instance. It just /sounds/ cool, amirite?

Such and such celebrity "claps back" at an unflattering news story

AOC "claps back" at Ted Cruz

Such and such 'woke' person "claps back" at the white male patriarchy

Such and such politician "claps back" at an NRA press release

And on and on it goes; you get the drift.

If one just contextually interprets the phrase "clap back" in how it's deployed grammatically , the would likely interpret it to mean (even if they don't understand the concept of contextualizing and merely react to its use at a subconscious level) some type of retort. It seems to often intended to represent a witty, clever and by the tone of how it's used by the author, generally a superior, decisive, argument-ending response in some manner of debate or disagreement. A verbal counter-punch/counter-blow that neutralizes your opponent and wins the argument.

Some folks with heightened sense of curiosity might try to dig a bit deeper to find the origin of the phrase, and trace its lineage back to some cultural reference point. If you utilize Internet linguistic tools like Merriam-Websters or similar online dictionaries, you will get some form of explanation of from whence the term entered the English lexicon (albeit a sugarcoated and sanitized one):

Merriam-Webster: the Origin of 'Clap Back'

Clapbacks are now so much a part of our regular discourse online that even your humble dictionary has been accused of clapping back.

Clapback is a noun that derives from an earlier verb, clap back, which refers to the same thing: responding to a criticism with a withering comeback.

Seems fairly innocuous right? So it's just a clever comeback in a rap battle. Got it.

But lurking behind this facade of a modern musical construct it a more sinister beginning, one which Merriam-Webster's mentions briefly at the end of their discussion of the term's history:

You may think the clap in question is the well-known clap that means “a sudden blow.” It’s not. In this context, clap refers to shooting someone; the word refers to the sound of a handgun shot. It shows up in rap lyrics back to the early 1990s:

Liggedy let the nines clap, cause I'm back …
— EPMD (feat. Das EFX), “Cummin’ At Cha” on Business Never Personal, 1992

My lyrical format sounds off like gun claps…
— Redman, “Da Journee” on Dare Iz A Darkside, 1994

By 2000, clap wasn’t just referring to the sound of a gun, but to the act of shooting someone:

Clap whoever stand between Shawn and figures…
— Jay-Z, “Intro” on The Dynasty: Roc La Familia, 2000

Oh. Hmm. Well that complicates things a bit, doesn't it. So you're saying that every time a talking head on CNN, or a blogger, or a writer on the Atlantic, or even a columnist up in the rarefied air of The New York Times, incorporates the term 'clap back' in their material...they are utilizing language that is a proxy term for a gun fight?

Wait...so who are the culprits for glorifying guns in American culture? I know the media has honed in on those mean "white nationalists" who show up armed for fully peaceful protests from time to time. But ... now that we think a bit deeper on the matter ... are the "white nationalists" normalizing the use of firearms to settle everyday ordinary disputes over traffic incidents, or "beefs" at the store, or bumping into a stranger at a bar ... or is that situation more of a political statement on the liberties identified for US citizens (2nd amendment of the Constitution) and as last-resort, defensive tool against government tyranny?

Is it really necessary to explore which context (casual references to gun fights in music and media vs peaceful display of responsible gun ownership) is more toxic in American culture?

When will there be a "withering" MSM piece on the lengthy history of the use of the term "clap back" as a reference to gun violence in rap culture, and at least some token criticism and claim of responsibility for "news" organizations that have seized the mantle of moral superiority in this country, all the while lecturing their opponents using .... a metaphor for shooting someone? Is that the type of discourse that we are cultivating now in America? Rather than engaging in a reasoned, measured debate with our opponents, we just skip ahead to "clapping back" at them?

Huh.

Interesting.

I will be on the lookout for some introspection and self-awareness from our propaganda masters in the MSM.. I'll be anxiously awaiting the analysis of the term 'clap back' in American media and why it should be immediately stricken from public discourse, and how it displays a shocking level of tolerance for violence and condones 'returning gun fire' as an acceptable response to those we disagree with.

That piece should be coming out any day now...

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I thought cracker was in reference to the white color of a saltine.
Lol

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I've seen the term used a few times. I didn't understand the meaning and was a bit confused on it. Thanks for clearing this up.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
An interesting deep dive into a modern phrase. The history is interesting, but isn't the intention (not history) behind the word what gives it meaning?

If a large majority see the word as a comeback, then does thd old meaning still hold any significance? Word meanings change all the time, like the word gay.
edit on 7-3-2021 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag
I've seen the term used a few times. I didn't understand the meaning and was a bit confused on it. Thanks for clearing this up.

No problem, glad to help.

This is the type of lack of self-awareness and critical thinking on the part of the MSM that undermines their credibility when it comes to fulfilling their traditional role as socially responsible guardians of the public good.

30+ years ago the American media was examining the role that certain kinds of music plays into the American cultural psyche.

Now, the media has skipped critical analysis the music and just incorporated its questionable lyrical content directly into their "reporting".

Makes perfect sense.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12
If a word has a different meaning to an autistic person who isn't plugged into mainstream media or social trends, instead means the definition that is written down for it, do they get punished for using a word that suddenly has different applications due to bored thugs and rapists changing the definition of words?

Asking for a friend that uses N word for fellow friends and rap music.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Another often used phrase is "shot back", as in "The press secretary shot back with a searing response to the reporter's question."

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
An interesting deep dive into a modern phrase. The history is interesting, but isn't the intention (not history) behind the word what gives it meaning?

If a large majority see the word as a comeback, then does thd old meaning still hold any significance? Word meanings change all the time, like the word gay.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the very same media that uses such language in their work (i.e. like you said, based off intention rather than historical context) didn't offer cover for journalists that seem to make a living off of attacking and expunging terms from the English language based on their historical context rather than intended meaning, e.g. "black listing"

Consistency would be the hallmark of a respectable press that seeks to be arbiters of fairness and reason. However, "consistency" and "fairness" are just mere words when used in reference to the media now; the actual concepts have been abrogated by the media for many years now.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Interesting. I had no idea of the history.

I assumed it was based on the behavior of clapping with each syllable while screaming the same obscene insult at somebody over and over during verbal altercations. That's the only thing I've seen that made sense to me, but I wasn't up on gangster rap lyrics.

Now that we know the origin can we point out that it's cultural appropriation when news and media use it?

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:16 AM
link   
And then there's..."circle back"!

Most worn out word, ever.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Another often used phrase is "shot back", as in "The press secretary shot back with a searing response to the reporter's question."

Fair.

To your point, there are other idioms and catch phrases of the sort. The phrase 'touche', used in English language to represent a similar meaning (i.e. a good verbal 'comeback') got its start in the French language as an indication of scoring a blow to an opponent in a sword duel.

Additionally, lots of verbal 'jousting' can be analogized to combat, or blood sports such as boxing.

Then again, we don't suffer from an epidemic of deaths by sword duel in the US at the present time, and no musical genres I'm aware of have developed slang or code speak for thrusting a rapier into an opponent's person.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
And then there's..."circle back"!

Most worn out word, ever.

Ah, like in this instance?

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Even people I know lose credibility and respect when they say "Clap back".

Aside from it's seedy history, tacky vernacular is still tacky 20, 30 years later no matter how cool some thug tried to make it in '93 on their cassette album, it simply sounds sub-par, like you don't have much to work with upstairs and are broadcasting the fact. That, hollaback girl, fly, etc, good #ing Christ, there's some crap the 90's and aughts can take back before it goes viral. Again. < shudder >
edit on 3/7/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I see your point. I think the only awnser is to ignore such media. It's a small minority of outraged SJWs and hacky journalists that pick up the outrage and treat it like news.

When SJW stories are generating lots of clicks, then media tends to follow.

Then, you have the anti-sjw underground media that relishes in any wacky sjw story. Therefore, the media who reports these outrage stories is getting clicks from haters and supporters alike.

I just don't take any of it seriously. Most of the world isn't the least bit concerned with whatever new outrage in American media.

It's not important and the only people who seem to care are those who have no real problems or struggles.

Recreational outrage for the wealthy and bored.

edit on 7-3-2021 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This has the same vibe as the kids who cried about how cool the 90s were while hitting a bong with their nirvana outift.

Regurgitate, reuse, recycle.

Right out of pedo-wood playbook.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It may be just a schizophrenic obsession at this point. They were playing with word-magic for a long time tho. Speaking like a minority group to appeal them. Giving words false meaning, connotation,... WTH is a white nationalist? Is it a thing or it's a label with 900 pounds of fake agenda behind it?
Or latest use of "conspiracy" instead of saying "conspiracy theory".
Is it done by PR professionals and psychologists or by idiots? What about both?

It's good that someone calls them out everytime but remember they are attention stealers.
Being OCD with them is a lost. The fake news, MSM lost this mojo over majority. Only certain number of sheep is still under mind control. You cant red-pill those people. The wont listen to you or to effective mass de-programmers like Alex Jones to have their beliefs torn apart. They've decided to live in that version of reality. To eat the lies with food. Just as the cattle eats antibiotics with silage, they got used to their daily blue pill when it's crushed into small digestible pieces

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I think it’s funny that you had to dig incredibly deep to figure out the origin of a phrase that’s been commonly used for years.

I will be on the lookout for some introspection and self-awareness from our propaganda masters in the MSM.

Yeah, because using this phrase is some MSM plot to feed you propaganda. Good lord.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I would never have understood it without your explanation.
I saw the term in the title of an ATS thread (which I did not read), and vaguely associated it with the odd modern phenomenon in which a studio audience claps applause at someone on-camera, who in turn responds by clapping back at the audience "Yes- I agree- What a great person I am".

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

Intention always matters. Id probably tell him to chill on the n word. I had white friends who used it before and it just sounds cringey.

Punishment? Not unless he walks into a room full of black people and starts laying down those N words.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Not to belabor the pop culture language (because those observations are "on point") but clapping to emphasize your argument has been around for a lot longer than most rap artists. That's what I always think of when I hear "clap back" is when the rebuttal is underlined by the actual physical gesture. Like those status posts with the 👏 emoji between every word is a reflection of fairly standard body language.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join