It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know TV is Bad when ....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Wrote this a while back..

I'm Jack the ripper and your Jack Tripper,
Jumping the shark like Henry Winkler,
"Three's company" I'm already hitting on chrissy's, sister..
Larry's got a sausage party upstairs,
A lot of hairy dudes and foamy beer,
Just don't do the ludes you'll be in the clear..
If you get bored go down to the Roper's,
Stanley's a bore but his wife's a groper,
It's "different strokes" for different folks,
You choking jokes,
missed "the love boat" to "fantasy island", MASHing your teeth crying ,
Let's not forget Heather locklear was a looker,
And the only reason to watch T.J. Hooker,
welcome back Kotter and Klinger,
I Didn't forget "Barney Miller",
I'm old school a Bluestreet Hiller',
At the peach pit eating chicken grillers with Dillon,
Its "good times" we're chillin',
spending "punky Brewster"'s six million dollars like a man,
"The fall guy"Hannibal taking a stand with the plan,
"The A team" comes through when "Family Matters",
We don't "leave it to beaver" or Jerry Mathers,
We Yee Haw! like "Hee Haw" and "dukes of hazard",
"Get smart" "Parker Lewis can't lose"
And "Murphy Brown" spreads like huey Lewis's news,
I'm the "knight rider" baywatcher "magic garden" treasure chest,
the best,
"The head of the class" atop the "falcon crest",
Wooing "Golden Girls" with empty nests,
I'm a "dynasty" that's "the facts of life",

just like everybody hates you like Raymond's wife...

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

After years of complaints, I upped our comcast level, bought a fire TV, got her Prime, Epix, Hulu, Netflix. And she has damn Dr. Phil on 23 hours a day. Well, Cheaters on Saturday and Naked and Afraid on Sunday.

posted on Mar, 6 2021 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Most US script writing is heading to a time when the "best" show will simply be a bunch of people sitting in chairs in a featureless gray room, but it will be "brave" and "exciting" because every single one of them will check the diversity boxes off. It will be praised for its "rich" character development and drama. That's all it will take in the future.

Because as time goes on, they get more inclusive in the diversity department and shallower and shallower when it comes to true depth of character, development and storyline. They mistake things like "gay", "POC", etc., as plot points or development when they're actually just superficial traits.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: billxam

I have to give her a pass for the Wendy show - she may look like a linebacker (Wendy NOT the wife!) but she's one of the few pushing common sense.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I've watched some #e during this last year.
The vast majority of TV programmes are just inane nonsense and I firmly believe part of the concerted effort to dumb down society.
The reality programmes defy description.

Having had my favourite pastime taken off me - the pub - I have to blame 'er indoors for making me watch this rubbish.

But even I have my guilty secrets - The Masked Singer being the one I found myself watching and actually discussing.

I have got my own back on the missus and got her hooked on The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Banshee and most recently Deadwood.

By far the best though has been re-watching every series of Line of Duty and after repeatedly being told to watch Killing Eve I finally got round round to it and I've got to say I think its excellent.

The biggest realisation though is the amount of complete and utter #ing idiots who put themselves up for ridicule by appearing on afternoon quiz shows and revealing to the world how uneducated, ignorant and just plain bloody stupid they are.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Character development is near extinct as they throw in the odd POC for no particular purpose except to appear to be racially balanced and apparently the mavens of Cultural Correctness are of the opinion that the population of the US is 50% Black, 10% white and the balance an odd collection of "others" which of course must include an obviously Muslim middle eastern person. Oddly apparently few if any Asians live in the US..

I've been begging the other Billy to ditch cable and mainstream alphabet networks for a year now.

What's wrong with American TV?

If you watch it you get the idea everyone has an openly gay friend, so at least 1/3 of the population is gay or trans. Gay and trans people always get an entire episode devoted to how badly society treats them and everyone who didn't vote for Biden hates them. This is so predictable that we record our favorite shows and skip these morality lecture shows heavy on liberal preaching entirely.

If you watch US TV you get the idea that everyone has one Muslim friend, one black friend, one white friend, occasionally one Asian friend, one Hispanic friend and no one dates anyone in their own racial group. This is not how the world works and people do not pick their friends based on having fully racially balanced friendships and relationships.

It is an almost laughable and pathetic formula that all new TV shows use, trying to appeal to everyone but really being very unrealistic, although extremely liberal, politically correct, and preachy.

US TV often, very often, uses sex in place of dialog, which gets so boring! Kiss, pull each others clothes off quickly, kiss a tummy and wham it in. Nearly every time, no romance, so predictable and the writer can skip writing any meaningful dialog or develop a character or move the plot along.

They are so busy being politically correct they forget they are supposed to have a story line and character development.

They are so devoid of story line and character development that they rely on boring formula sex scenes in place of dialog.

I love TCM, the old B/W movies

We also love old British series, the older the better.

We actually search for shows that portray life as it is rather than the current very preachy politically correct formula for TV shows.

posted on Mar, 7 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Yes, but if you watch the commercials, every family is an interracial couple or black.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join