It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a bad case of David Lynch!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Today I watched David Lynch's "magnum opus" Inland Empire (2006.)

Nothing special about this viewing--I've seen it a half dozen times. I have been a huge fan of his abstract films for many years, and I have always felt that his body of work takes place in the same reincarnated cinematic universe. 'Twin Peaks: The Return' has cemented this theory for me.

Anyways, I love showing off the strangeness of Lynch to my more adventurous and open-minded friends (I'm just kidding I don't have any friends.)

With the right people though, it can definitely lead to some great discussions and interpretations.

While I'm sure most David Lynch films are behind a paywall or cheap DVD jacket these days, Inland Empire is actually free on youtube. Have any thoughts you'd like to share about this film or its meaning?

It is perhaps his most challenging and abstract film since Eraserhead. Enjoy if you dare.

[Warning: there are adult themes such as infidelity]

And hey if 3 hours of weirdness doesn't do it for you, maybe you'd like to jam out to some aerobic instruction vids I discovered. I can already feel the pounds dripping away!

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You know, I am a really big Lynch fan, and he inspired a student film of mine and various other writings, but Inland Empire is one I have not actually seen. I own it, but all the times I've tried to watch it I was a bit inebriated and couldn't get into it, even though I love his other stuff: Blue Velvet, FWWM, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr, and his even more experimental earlier stuff such as Eraserhead.

I never watched Twin Peaks when it was on, that was slightly before I became interested, but I have the series.

I really enjoy his short films, and his Rabbits series.

But never tried to get through IE after those several attempts.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Anything with Laura Dern in it has my attention (with the single exception of Star Wars. I'm really sorry she did that.)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Apparently the 'rabbits' shorts inspired Inland Empire, and a few skits are featured in the overall narrative. It's a long movie and will put you in a trance (Zzzzz..) if you're not careful.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Anything with Laura Dern in it has my attention (with the single exception of Star Wars. I'm really sorry she did that.)

Agreed 100%. I've had a crush on Laura Dern since I first saw Jurassic Park. Admiral Social Justice Hair was awful though.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Oh also--

David Lynch personally campaigning for Laura Dern

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Apparently the 'rabbits' shorts inspired Inland Empire, and a few skits are featured in the overall narative

I think I remember hearing that.

will put you in a trance if you're not careful.

One reason I like him. I don't want action and BS to enjoy a movie. I like being sucked in visually and/or with simple (or zero) dialogue and music where the story is visual, mood, + (minimal) sound.

Damn, Straight Story is another favorite. So Lynchian unLynch-like. That one is emotional. Beautiful.

I'll have to check it out again.
edit on 1-3-2021 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I'll have to check it out again.

You should!

It's right up there with Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive in my opinion. I've seen it called the 3rd installment of a trilogy.

posted on Mar, 1 2021 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Lynch's films are great. Even when he cooks quinoa.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I love David Lynch movies-even when he's trying to make a "regular" film his weirdness can't help creeping in-like in "The Straight Story"
And Inland Empire is hardcore weird,even for Lynch.

But Dude-those Japanese aerobic/launguage classes are on a whole different level of weird.
They make David Lynch seem completley non weird by comparison.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I will need to watch Inland Empire. I have not yet.

I love David Lynch though, for his creativity. I even read his book : "Catching the Big Fish", which I would recommend to anyone interested in his more personal leanings.

My personal favorite movie of his was "Wild at Heart" starring Nicholas Cage and Laura Dern, and actress who basically I give Mr. Lynch the honor of having 'discovered'. Friends and I turned Wild at Heart into a drinking game even ... hahaha, if you can imagine, but I was younger back then, and any excuse to drink was never neglected

Thanks for this thread, OP. I will watch this next time I get 3 hours of free time ... or maybe in chunks between 'work'

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

That's very true.
Like I think Wild at Heart tries so hard to be a normal romance/bonnie and clyde type story but ends up with all the weird characters and super strange behaviour (shocker) of Nick Cage.

Sort of similar to Blue Velvet but I think Wild at Heart may be his most normal attempt?

Loved the new Twin Peaks. Got it on DVD.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

But Dude-those Japanese aerobic/launguage classes are on a whole different level of weird.
They make David Lynch seem completley non weird by comparison.

It was too weird/funny not to share. I knew someone would get it

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Hey ... yeah I can also see your angle on "Wild at Heart".

Regardless, a movie that I LOVED that I totally would recommend is "Dune".

*silence* *crickets*

I know ... apparently most people didn't like Dune. But, I did ... a lot.

I love that movie, seeing Mr. Lynch's interpretation of pop Sci Fi, but like you said about "Wild at Heart", with a very unique, and strangely exquisite twist(s).

From what I have read, David Lynch was very disappointed with the cuts made by his producers in the film. I wish they would have accepted is director's cut (his personal choice as director of what would be kept vs cut, and thus, how the film would appear if he had control).

They rejected his director's cut, the film was expensive, but tanked in the theatre, regardless that my friends, family, and I all like it ... and the die hard Dune fans of Frank Herbert's didn't like how the plot was changed, or something. I dunno, I read the book "Dune" only after I saw David Lymch's movie, and to be 100% honest, I liked both equally, and for different reasons. I cannot complain either way.

I am glad I saw David Lynch's movie first though, because I really liked it - as much for the visual artistry as for the dialogue. It is a unique movie. The cast does outstanding. If I read the book first, and had preconceptions, maybe I would not have liked the movie so much?

Admittedly, the book was deeper, as books should be, and that is what I enjoyed about the book. But I would love to see the original director's cut for Dune, if it even exists anywhere, and has not been destroyed.
edit on 2-3-2021 by Fowlerstoad because: typos are my bane ... er, I mean: one of my banes!

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

I am really curious what he would have done with Return of the Jedi had he not rejected it.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fowlerstoad

Hey ... yeah I can also see your angle on "Wild at Heart".

Regardless, a movie that I LOVED that I totally would recommend is "Dune".

*silence* *crickets*

I know ... apparently most people didn't like Dune. But, I did ... a lot.

I love that movie, seeing Mr. Lynch's interpretation of pop Sci Fi, but like you said about "Wild at Heart", with a very unique, and strangely exquisite twist(s).

From what I have read, David Lynch was very disappointed with the cuts made by his producers in the film. I wish they would have accepted is director's cut (his personal choice as director of what would be kept vs cut, and thus, how the film would appear if he had control).

They rejected his director's cut, the film was expensive, but tanked in the theatre, regardless that my friends, family, and I all like it ... and the die hard Dune fans of Frank Herbert's didn't like how the plot was changed, or something. I dunno, I read the book "Dune" only after I saw David Lymch's movie, and to be 100% honest, I liked both equally, and for different reasons. I cannot complain either way.

I am glad I saw David Lynch's movie first though, because I really liked it - as much for the visual artistry as for the dialogue. It is a unique movie. The cast does outstanding. If I read the book first, and had preconceptions, maybe I would not have liked the movie so much?

Admittedly, the book was deeper, as books should be, and that is what I enjoyed about the book. But I would love to see the original director's cut for Dune, if it even exists anywhere, and has not been destroyed.

I never read the Dune books and I never knew Lynch did that film.
I was randomly streaming films like not even a month ago and I watched that during a long lunch and it was really good. I liked the colours, the way they did the blues.
When I saw Lynch's name come up I was like 'yay!!'
And yes it was true to form especially with that weird tank with the spice guild wormy leader in it.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

That's very true.
Like I think Wild at Heart tries so hard to be a normal romance/bonnie and clyde type story but ends up with all the weird characters and super strange behaviour (shocker) of Nick Cage.

Sort of similar to Blue Velvet but I think Wild at Heart may be his most normal attempt?

Loved the new Twin Peaks. Got it on DVD.

Oh yeah the new Twin Peaks Rocked!
He was unleashed for that,unlike the debacle with the studio forcing his hand last time..
i get what youre saying about wild at heart trying to be normal-The Straight Story is mostly a heart warming road trip story about an old dude and the characters he meets on his lawn mower journey across America to find his brother-but Dave's weirdness can't help getting involved in small ways.
Its a very easy going film to watch compared to his more weird stuff.
I think Harry Dean Stanton has a small part IIRC,its been years since I saw it.
www.imdb.com...

Edit:
I just read your post about Dune-I liked it as well.
I rewatched it last year,and for the first time I noticed David Lynch has a tiny cameo in the movie-He's the grease monkey guy who speaks to Paul though a vid screen/comms station in one short scene.

edit on 2/3/2021 by Silcone Synapse because: slwo eht

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I have been involved in meditation and ritual for at least 15 years but probably longer, and a lot of the things Dave's characters see reminds me of things I have seen and experienced. It is freaky and creepy and sometimes dark but that's because we are interfacing as human beings with an unseen world which may be a parallel universe.
I know Dave does TM meditation and mine is different but more chakra based but at any point, we are all accessing the same things. Also in the original Twin Peaks series. Upside down super pale white crawling naked humanoids crawling on the ceiling anyone? check :/

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Conveniently forgot about Wild at Heart and Dune. The former feels more like a parody of an outlaw film, and the latter just seems so low budget and cheesy it's...awesome in its Lynchian way, with an awesome cast.

posted on Mar, 2 2021 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Dreaming and the Cinema of David Lynch

This essay explores the influence of dreams and dreaming on the filmmaking of DavidLynch. Focusing particular attention on Mulholland Drive (2001), Lost Highway (1997), Blue Velvet (1986), and the television series Twin Peaks (1990–91), the essay will discuss the multiple dream elements in Lynch's work and how they have contributed to the broad cultural influence of his films. Lynch's filmmaking offers an excellent case study of the powerful connection between dreaming and movies in contemporary American society.

Sadly it's behind a paywall.

Book: The Cinema of David Lynch

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join