It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microgrids

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I believe you might be talking about this thread. I basically detailed how to write my automation code too
Though, the actual database access isnt explained.. It does need to be fast, but this can largely be done with effective heirarchy in the storage system and adding self-updating tags at the top of a given heirarchy for other nodes to access.

Storage would be the biggest issue, but I think that with the advent of "cheap" 512gb-1tb SD cards.. It should be good in perpetuity.

ETA: I think its best to view "3d Printing" in much more general terms than is typical. It is an additive manufacturing process that can poop out materials in 3d space. In other words, its a framework. This framework can be used to print any materials from plastics (harvested directly from trash and turbed into filament too), concrete, metals, and even at the molecular level. This *exact same* framework can be used for subtractive manufacturing like CNC as well.

You also mentioned some newer CPUs, etc. Ive recently been getting into mini PCs (as opposed to micro PCs) and they are pretty fun. It takes a bit more horsepower than something like a raspberry pi has, to effectively run a media center with stuff like 4k playback. rPi can even struggle with a lot of 1080p encoding, but a lot of progress has been made there too. Thatd be the biggest change to the overall concept. Using mini-PCs and a NAS for home media like streaming, data storage, etc.

I think the biggest hurdles to all of this are:

Many who push for this more advanced stuff are not looking at what can be done here and now. Nor do they push for a framework that could be implemented now, and upgraded with their "ideal" later on.

The second are all the folks that tend to look at it through a lens of maybe 10-15 years ago.

The last is simply how much power, responsibility, and initiative is abdicated to centralized, corporate institutions. Everyone is so busy talking about and watching these groups that they dont accomplish much of anything themselves. This aspect is pervasive; it applies to everything from politics to environmentalism to the food supply. Every problem and solution is expected to come from these corporate-political group(s). One side just says "we dont like what yer offerin!" and the other side thinks that anyone who doesnt buy into the marketing is responsible for all the ills in the world. Very, very difficult thing to deal with here.

In my opinion, the issue isnt what tech we do or do not have.. Its where we direct our momentum and focus as a society. Basically, we have turned into a society of voyeurs where the only things that get traction are those that can gain enough visibility in a strict corporate structure (Alphabet inc, Twitter, Twitch, media, etc.).
edit on 21-2-2021 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
Is a caravan a style of mobile home?

Omg! You must not have ever seen my absolute most favorite movie of all time...

posted on Feb, 21 2021 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Nope, haven't seen it, but I hear it's great.

<< 1   >>

join