It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I did it man!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
WHAT......
I'm not the first?
Dude if my power go bye bye for some time I am glad I have solar panels to keep me warm and I have that hot spot thingy.
So I can watch the flix thing.

No solar for me, we're on the historic register. A whole-house generator can handle heavy initial AMP loads from the fridge and sump pump and also keep the baseboard hot water recirculator going.

I love that area of W.O. I remember my cousin and I getting chased by security with salt guns back in the early 80's.
Oh the nostalgia. Now I'm hungry for a Jimmy Buffs Italian hot dog!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

BIG CONGRATS to you!!

Very happy for ya!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:06 AM
link   

"My basement has been flooded for many years. I have to get that out then see what is down there."

What's down there: Mold. Fungus. Parasites. Plague. Demons.

And if it's been there for years? I bet it's in all the walls. All of them. God speed.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Jimmy's is still there, right by Star Tavern.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
What's down there: Mold. Fungus. Parasites. Plague. Demons.

And if it's been there for years? I bet it's in all the walls. All of them. God speed.

A little black mold never hurt anyone.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I did the opposite of burning my house down. I flooded it out. Virginian snap freeze caused my pipes to burst and since I live in Tennessee and no one was there to let me know it basically demoed my whole house for me.

The walls were gone, the floors were gone, every light fixture was hanging by the wires. When I went to go inspect the damage my neighbor told me that he was the one who called the water department for me. He said water was cascading out of every seam on my house after the ice had melted.

Learn from my very expensive mistake lol

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So sick of the moldisms surrounding the black type.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:17 AM
link   

You aren't going to do anything, the house is going to do you.

Truer words could Never be spoken.

Congrats Allaroundyou. You've succeeded.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Family has a 135-year-old pile of limestone out in the country that husband and I are considering taking over and retiring to if we think we can manage to have the finds to put some work into it.

It's a gorgeous old house, but it needs lots and lots of work.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Burn it down and buy a townhome.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Why? I'd have to live next to people.

The never-going-to-happen dream is to find some money and get it completely refurbished. It would be an awesome place, all three stories of it with the massive wrap-around porch.
edit on 17-2-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 08:15 AM
link   
My first old house was a wreck when I bought it...but underneath all the decay...it had 'Good Bones'.

...It was built on an Indian burial ground.
edit on 17-2-2021 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Why? I'd have to live next to people.

Burn their house down too.

It would be an awesome place, all three stories of it with the massive wrap-around porch.

Sounds similar to my arson-waiting-to-happen.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Moved into my house about a month ago. I'm used to being in a controlled access apartment building, so heating and cooling were a lot simpler as my neighbors did most of the work. Even a brand new build and I've got some areas that need improvement, and also some things that sounded good in concept and didn't pan out right in execution. Congratulations on the new move!

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Congratulations! Ah the charm of an old house. I miss it. We used to live in a +200 year old house with no central heating but a 10kW Swedish fireplace, solar and battery system.

Then after my sister in law and I inherited it, she decided to get rid of it and we sold it. Curse and blessing.

But I miss the noises at night, the old doors and nothing was straight there were almost no right angles walls. Two years ago a storm took out the sat dish and I had to get up there in the middle if the storm so it won't bash in the roof and window underneath. 4 feet dish mounted in 20 feet height.

I suspended a hardened cement bag from the middle of the three part ladder, so it would be stable.

The thrills lol. AM is spot on, there's always work with an old house.
edit on 17.2.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
AM is spot on, there's always work with an old house.

I'm also frightened to think about how much money I put into this thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Just wait until you get far enough into the country that your most numerous neighbors are the trash pandas and big old boar breaks into your attic and destroys the roof causing over $25,000 in damages. That's my family house. My folks got that one. Now they use the family "tool" to blast the furry marauders.

Another neighborly charm are the snakes that occasionally wander up from the basement.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
AM is spot on, there's always work with an old house.

I'm also frightened to think about how much money I put into this thing.

The house we have now is new and very nice...but when I think back...I really miss all that stained glass, stone gargoyles, wood and plasterwork and Rookwood fireplaces of that old Vic mansion I spent over 5 years renovating.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I jest but I wouldn't give it up. It's all original plaster, Tiffany stained glass windows, hardwood floors, detailed moldings and a monstrous kitchen.

You have any pics of yours? I'd love to see the craftsmanship.

posted on Feb, 17 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   

So happy for you. I love old houses, but you have to love them back!

After our first one my husband said never again!

PS. I've moved from the North, to the South, to the North to the South, and once again back to the North.
It takes exactly 4 years to become completely acclimated to the weather.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join