It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Herbal Cough Suppressants: Hyssop and Horehound

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

Thank you for adding quality information/visuals to the thread!!

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just note, too, if you have Sweetgum trees (and we have a bunch here) you can harvest the seeds (and bark/sap/leaves) as they're an antiviral and antimicrobial agent that's similar to and a precursor of the active ingredient in Tamiflu.

Sweetgum

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Those are some pretty trees!

It's so cool to know there's natural medicine everywhere

posted on Feb, 6 2021 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Just note, too, if you have Sweetgum trees (and we have a bunch here) you can harvest the seeds (and bark/sap/leaves) as they're an antiviral and antimicrobial agent that's similar to and a precursor of the active ingredient in Tamiflu.

Sweetgum

WOW... I mean just WOW!

I learned a ton from that article and can't thank you enough for posting that link for the Members here on ATS. I had no idea of the extent of SWEETGUM. And if I may (since others might not know either), I'm going to post up a copy from the article;

In addition to the sap, the leaves, bark, and seeds of sweetgum also possess beneficial compounds such as shikimic acid, a precursor to the production of oseltamivir phosphate, the active ingredient in Tamiflu®–an antiviral drug effective against several influenza viruses. Other extracts derived from sweetgum trees have shown potential as antioxidants, anti-inflammatory agents, and chemopreventive agents. The compounds found in the extracts derived from sweetgum sap suppress hypertension in mice. Extracts from sweetgum seeds have anticonvulsant effects, which may make them suitable in the treatment of epilepsy. In addition to the potential medicinal uses of sweetgum extracts, the extracts of the sap possess antifungal activity against various phytopathogenic fungi and have been effective treatments for reducing nematodes and the yellow mosquito, Aedes aegypti, populations thus highlighting the potential of these extracts as environment-friendly pesticides and antifungal agents.

I will say it again.. WOW, I just love the fact that Nature can do so much for us if we search deep enough,
Johnny

posted on Feb, 7 2021 @ 02:29 PM
link   

My eyes have scrolled over his post so thanks for bumping it up. 😉
I think I heard about Styrax gum before as a magic incense. Maybe it was a part of incense in the Bible 😀

To give you both something in return here's a herb with similar qualities

European ivy (Hedera helix).
Infused in wine it makes people less drunk. It's a cough medicine and regulates blood pressure depending on dose. Because it's evergreen I like to use it during the winter as an adaptogen to cold weather

posted on Feb, 8 2021 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ
European ivy (Hedera helix).
Infused in wine it makes people less drunk.

I already hate it....!

It's a cough medicine and regulates blood pressure depending on dose. Because it's evergreen I like to use it during the winter as an adaptogen to cold weather

OK, I like it again...!

Actually I was unaware of it's medicinal qualities which makes this more exciting for me because I'm sort of a Geek-Sponge when it comes to learning something new.

So Tanx!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join