It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pre-SHTF Thoughts Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Funny you should mention that. I have 2 fields of fire looking down on my house. One from the front and another from the back side.

You figure your back side is ready to take a heavy pounding? lol

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I've talked to the neighbors

Smartest start ... bar none.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: recrisp
Not that anyone ever reads my walls of text

I do. Put a star on 'em as well.

I found a big mistake in what I wrote, and this is, 'just in case' it matters to anyone.

Apparently you read 'em too.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

originally posted by: Snarl
There was a movie I can't recall the name of. The 'mom' decides to throw herself to the wolves abandoning her husband a child.

Charlize Theron in "The Road"
A horrid scene among many in the film.
The book is even darker.
Probably one of the more realistic depictions of a post shtf world sadly.

Yes!! That was the flick I was thinking of.

I'm hoping SHTF doesn't block out the sun.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Not that anyone ever reads my walls of text, I found a big mistake in what I wrote, and this is, 'just in case' it matters to anyone.

"I have a 9mm pistol that I daily carry, so that is for close-up shooting. I also have a .357 revolver that is good to have. I also have a Remington 870 pump that I have loaded with 7 shots buckshot and/or bird shot, the buckshot is when I don't have to worry about what is behind my target, the bird shot is when I do."

I have a 9mm pistol that I daily carry, so that is for close-up shooting. I also have a .357 revolver that is good to have. I also have a Remington 870 pump that I have loaded with 7 shots buckshot and/or bird shot, the buckshot is for when I do have to worry about what is behind my target, the bird shot is when I don't.

I had my do's and don't's mixed up...

Good arsenal. I have a 30-30, Remington 870 pump, Winchester 20 Gauge, Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum, a .22, and I'll be buying two 9mm's in a couple of days.

ETA: if anyone comes a lookin and asks, they were all stolen last night.
edit on 1-2-2021 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I'll be staying home if anything happens. I've talked to the neighbors, a lot of farmers, a few ex military. We will do what we can.

I got lucky a few years ago, and my grandmother gave me the Foxfire series books. I read them off and on still.

May I make a few suggestions to add to your list of books to read?

Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (and not so wild) Places (1994)

US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76 (1970)

The Ultimate Survival Guide: Self-Reliance Strategies for a Dangerous World (2014)

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   
One item there will plenty of is abandoned cars.

If you have a car facing south, you can take advantage of the windshield and dashboard to use as a solar dehydrator for fruit and meat. Just need some racks (metal window screens are perfect) elevated so as to allow airflow. A toolbox (not as common as they used to be) can be a handy car find. Especially with all that sheet metal for knives, cookware, plows, shovels, hoes, etc.

Seat fabrics for material for replacement clothing/coats. Wiring for cordage. Various flammable fluids. Ready made furniture, seatbelt webbing for straps. More plastic than you know what to do with to be melted and reformed into knife handles, etc. Pickup trucks mean leaf springs which is great for forging quality tooling/knives. Careful removal of glass can go towards cold frames/hot houses for growing food.

And none of that covers what junk people haul around in their cars. Paper napkins, plastic ware, plastic bottles (which is an unbelievable resource—a single 2 liter bottle with cap is a bowl, cutting board and several soup spoons after planned cuts).

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
I'll be buying two 9mm's in a couple of days.

Better make sure they come with a respectable number of rounds. Wanna share anymore details on what you're considering?

You gave chiefsmom some book recommendations. Here's one for you: Defensive Revolver Fundamentals -Grant Cunningham. Yeah ... Yeah. It has the word revolver in the title, but it still covers all the subtleties for properly wielding any handgun. And, you might learn something about revolvers you'd never even thought of before.

I am an occasionally requested guest instructor in the local area. Most of what I teach still comes straight out of that book.

I need to go take some scavenger lessons from the MySpace Mod.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

P-38 can opener is your best friend. I keep mine in my wallet and have for about 30 years now...perfect for removing the top off an aluminum can. And available in any military surplus shop for a dollar or less. Even knock offs on Amazon get down to 50 cents or less when bought in bulk.

One thing on the list that I have not bought yet (and yes, Shawn and I talked quite a bit about the design and some modifications a couple years ago when he was perfecting it) The Settler’s Wrench. 1” is a great size, but I would still like to see a 3/4” (and a 1/2” for that matter although more situational than anything). And while the idea of a Scotch Auger is nothing new, Shawn’s idea of making the eye a tapering tool was. I just hipped him to putting a reamer to the non-taper end to eliminate the friction problem.

While scavenging a house...make your first stop the bedrooms for pillow cases and shoestrings to carry the loot.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl
Thank you!

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Not that anyone ever reads my walls of text, I found a big mistake in what I wrote, and this is, 'just in case' it matters to anyone.

"I have a 9mm pistol that I daily carry, so that is for close-up shooting. I also have a .357 revolver that is good to have. I also have a Remington 870 pump that I have loaded with 7 shots buckshot and/or bird shot, the buckshot is when I don't have to worry about what is behind my target, the bird shot is when I do."

I have a 9mm pistol that I daily carry, so that is for close-up shooting. I also have a .357 revolver that is good to have. I also have a Remington 870 pump that I have loaded with 7 shots buckshot and/or bird shot, the buckshot is for when I do have to worry about what is behind my target, the bird shot is when I don't.

I had my do's and don't's mixed up...

Good arsenal. I have a 30-30, Remington 870 pump, Winchester 20 Gauge, Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum, a .22, and I'll be buying two 9mm's in a couple of days.

ETA: if anyone comes a lookin and asks, they were all stolen last night.

Better arsenal than mine, for sure, I only got most of them fairly recently.
The new times makes for new thoughts, I say.

Gun owners are the most forgetful, and clumsy people I know, and now, your hard-earned guns are gone. We must be better than that!

Will you, or can you, show us the purchases in a couple of days? It actually might help some of us. (Before we forget)

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I am an old man and am stuck here in the UK. So I cant have a gun. That`s ok I have a nice recurve bow and will soon take a gun from one of my kills. Hate being trapped on this Island. If I had a shot gun. I would take the lead out of a several rounds and replace it with a nut n bolt connected to a piano wire. Sure make a mess in a close up situation . Crazy times ahead I guess. I shall go down fighting to survive

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Some of y'all have missed one of the greatest survival tools of all!

It's commonly available, nobody would ever think of it, they're indestructible and have 1,000 uses. Never, ever, leave home without one!! They're not offensive, and they don't give anything about you away; if anything they tend to disarm others.

What is it, you ask??

You played with one as a kid, and you never thought it might save your life. Some of your friends probably humbled you with how much better they were than using it, but regardless of their skill, if you know this one trick you will survive when others do not.

What is it...you ask?

A Frisbee.

Yes, you read that right...a "Frisbee". Just a single Frisbee. Two is even better.

A Frisbee will dig.
A Frisbee will be a tray to hold small parts (like field stripping a pistol on the dirt).
A Frisbee will never flip over.
A Frisbee is flat and will pack almost anywhere with little weight and room penalty.
A Frisbee will be a dinner plate.
A Frisbee will haul water.
A Frisbee will dig your truck out of snow or mud.
A Frisbee is not magnetic.
A Frisbee is not a threat.
A Frisbee will work as a traction mat under a car/truck tire.
A Frisbee is virtually indestructible.
A Frisbee will never sink, they float.
A Frisbee works as a jack stand in soft sand.
A Frisbee works as a paddle in water.
A Frisbee won't freeze.
A Frisbee...just a simple Frisbee, has 1,000 other uses you never thought of.

A Frisbee will save your life!

edit on 2/1/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

My dad had me read the US Army Survival guide when I was younger.
I still remember the part on how to test if a leaf is edible. Elbow crook, under lip etc...

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:15 PM
link   
So, my power was out for a few days due to the last storm.

That sucks.

We live in the country, have a large garden, chickens etc. We would be better off then most if the SHTF, but I really hope that there is not an extended issue.

Gardening is hard work. Living without our modern conveniences, even for a short period of time is not fun. We have grown soft as a society and I think that it would be hard to live through such a situation.

Just reflecting on my recent experiences.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Play frisbee golf? Those puppies are literally weapons. Better than a rabbit stick.

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Yes, and you really can use it as a weapon too...if you're good at it!

It's not going to kill or badly injure someone, but it will stun them long enough to either get away, or make your move (especially if you hit them across the bridge of the nose with it).

Plus...a Frisbee makes no noise!

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Tomorrow. Passing there to Bald Mountain shooting Range N. of M59.

Thank you!?

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Yep. Even your nice little neighbors who will be beating you down for whatever you have...and take your guns.

And all mine.

*5 guns...1,000 rds... 3 bullets in the end.
1 for my dog.
1 for my wife.
1 for me

posted on Feb, 1 2021 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Hey, Tru? As well, people don't seem to have any grip on where to go, what to take, or how to get there...or care in general.

I know, we do. But, it will be madness.
edit on 1-2-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join