It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DYATLOV 9 MYSTERY SOLVED

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
1959, In the then Soviet Union, 9 young people, 7 men, 2 women, from a local university set out on winter ski trip/hike in the Ural Mountains

When they did not turn up a search party went to look for them It found their campsite, on a mountain ominously named "DEAD MOUNTAIN" in the
local language, wrecked and the bodies scattered down the mountainside.

Some were missing eyes and in one case missing a tongue. Several bore severe injuries, broken ribs and cracked skull. Traces of radioactivity

were found in the area. Their tent had been cut open from the inside.

Soviet officials did what they did best, covered it up . After the fall of the communists, investigators had strived to explain the mystery

For the past 60 years numerous theories on how the hikers died. Everything from attack by bears, a Yeti like creature, attacks by local people, the Mansi, for trespassing on their lands. Secret soviet military test involving nuclear weapons.

Now a Swiss engineer had proposed a new theory on how the hikers died

An Avalanche

Measuring the slope of the mountain, found it was steep enough to support a avalanche. The avalanche was small only 16 feet wide ((5 m)

As the avalanche hit the camp, the panicked hikers fled into the freezing night and died of hyperthermia. The injuries wee explained by series of crash test in the 1970's by General Motors, using cadavers, to calibrate airbags.

The hikers had placed their skis on the ground and laid their bedding on top. The avalanche slammed them into the skis with sufficient force to fracture ribs and cause the injuries

www.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
How did BigFoot create the avalanche though?

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Misleading headline. There is a new theory out about what happened. A theory does not equal "solved."

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Does an avalanche explain the traces of radioactivity? a reply to: firerescue

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam
How did BigFoot create the avalanche though?

Wow! I am not even going to log onto the 'net today anymore. I just found everything I needed to for the day.
Best reply of 2021 so far

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Buvvy
Does an avalanche explain the traces of radioactivity? a reply to: firerescue

The article mentioned some common camp lanterns at that time were radioactive...

Avalanche is an interesting theory. Might explain why the tents were cut from inside.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:46 PM
link   
welcome to soviet russia.
we have radioactive, tongue ripping, undressing avalanches.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

Avalanches? It a good theory but there was some paranormal activity going on around the mountain. There were reports of amber orange type ufo orbs being seen in the area at the time of the incident. I would expect this to mean that they shapeshifted into Bigfoot type creatures and massacred the people for whatever reason.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I’ve argued this many times and it’s what makes the most sense, except I think it’s possible that they thought it was an avalanche and they fled in fear into a storm creating their own demise. It was so cold that night that they would have perished quickly.

Imagine waking up to someone screaming “Avalanche” and then imagine the panic of everyone grabbing any clothing they could, explaining some wearing others clothing, and then when they couldn’t find the zipper in the dark someone sliced the tent open. They all randomly split up and tragedy ensued. Some running of into a ravine and others just lost.

Oh and the radiation everyone alludes to, they all went to the Ural Technology school during the Cold War, there is no telling what they were exposed to.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: anticitizen

The undressing is known as paradoxical undressing, happens because of hyperthermia.
The tongue ripping probably due to not being able to feel the tongue.
Radioactivity, well, it was Russia.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Interesting indeed.
Avalanches have been suggested and (semi) ruled out by a few researchers previously.
It would've had to have been pretty unusual and very localised.
Not sure how they were confident to rule it out due to the length of time before they were found.

I need to brush up on the details but if they had such physical damage inflicted in the tent, would they all have made it to the treeline?
I think Dytlov himself was found between the tent and treeline but there were footprints suggesting he had made it to the forest but went back towards the tent.

Radioactive readings were minimal and I think one or more of the team were geologists and the clothes may have been exposed to rock samples that could have radioactive properties.

Dead Mountain doesn't sound too ominous, the locals (Mansi) called it dead because it was no good for hunting so more barren than actual death.
(Unless you get lost up there and starve presumably).

Sorry if this is in the article but I couldn't read it all for ads and stuff.

There's a few books out there worth looking up for further reading.
I have the following.....

Dead Mountain - Donnie Eichar.
Don't Go There - Svetlana Oss.
Dytatlov Pass Keeps it's Secrets - Irena and Vlad Lobatchev with Amanda Bosworth.

Cheers for the OP.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That is interesting.

My biggest freak factor mystery though is: why was the tent cut out for escape from the inside?

I guess they could have been fleeing an avalanche, but wouldn't it be faster to just use the normal entrance to gtfo?

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Haven't read up on it in some time, but seem to remember the searchers found the camp pretty easily, wouldnt even a small avalanche sweep the tent away or cover it up?

Yet they found the hikers boots and clothes still in place inside the tent I thought?

Possible sure, but don't think its equals solved.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

They were asleep, pitch black, hear an avalanche and literally have 5-10 seconds max to do something. They were lucky have a knife, never mind leave through the front door lol.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Avalanches? It a good theory but there was some paranormal activity going on around the mountain. There were reports of amber orange type ufo orbs being seen in the area at the time of the incident. I would expect this to mean that they shapeshifted into Bigfoot type creatures and massacred the people for whatever reason.

Another theory (and possible reason to cover-up) was that they'd stumbled across an area where parachute mines were being tested by the military.
This could explain the orb like lights .
It does not, however, explain the injuries.
I guess a blown up body would not be such a mystery and could have been recognisable as such.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Cheers for the info on the parachute mines Tulpa. Being honest and realistic about it there could well be a military testing reason for their deaths. Soviets were capable of sacrificing millions back in those days for their cause. Just been reading this www.santafeghostandhistorytours.com... and some of it is a little strange

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

It's just one of many theories about this case.
There's so many.
Donnie Eichar suggests infrasound in the Dead Mountain book. Infrasound has been theorised as an explanation for some paranormal events and "strange feelings" in certain places.
Eichar seems to think that the landscape funnels wind through the pass area and inside the tent it might have made them think the sound was an avalanche and the infrasound caused the confusion, panic and dread .

It's an interesting book. Don't know if I agree with this theory or not because I don't know enough about infrasound, but interesting all the same.

Just adding.
Thanks for the link.

edit on 3012021 by Tulpa because: Addled comment....added

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 04:10 PM
link   
My problem with the avalanche theory: In the photos of the site taken by the searchers/investigators, you can see the tent is clearly still standing. It has collapsed in the middle, probably due to being cut open and the weight of accumulated snow over the months the hikers were missing, but the tent poles were still standing upright. How does an avalanche hit the tent with enough force to break the ribs and fracture of the skull of people inside, but still leave the tent standing?

I still kind of buy into the parachute mine or other weapon's test theory. I think they were awaken in the middle of the night by the sound of explosions from weapons tests that were taking place around them. Maybe even the force caused a small snowslide that crashed against the side of the tent. Not with enough force to bury it but just enough to make them possibly think they had been buried by an avalanche. I think they cut their way out in a panic and ran out. They may have seen/heard the planes (or whatever was dropping the explosives) flying overhead, seen the bombs exploding. In a panic they ran down the mountain towards the treeline for shelter. I think some of them got caught up in the concussion wave of a blast and that's where the severe internal injuries came from. The others probably tried to start a fire to keep warm and take care of the inured who couldn't move while the rest tried to make their way back to the tent for supplies, but they froze to death before they made it and the rest froze to death in the forest and ravine where they had initially hid. I believe the Soviets knew what they had done. They probably hadn't expected anyone to be on that remote mountain where they were testing weapons. I think they covered it up.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
For the past 60 years numerous theories on how the hikers died. Everything from attack by bears, a Yeti like creature, attacks by local people, the Mansi, for trespassing on their lands. Secret soviet military test involving nuclear weapons.

Now a Swiss engineer had proposed a new theory on how the hikers died

Are you sure he was the first to propose the avalanche theory, in 60 years!??

I'm sure I read about "a avalanche" being a possibility in the past.

posted on Jan, 30 2021 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

The article mentioned some common camp lanterns at that time were radioactive...

Old fashioned lanterns used thorium mantles to create light Thorium is radioactive

Also the westerm side of the Urals was the center of Soviet nuclear production Radioactive waste was dumped into local
rivers and lakes where it dried out and radioactive dust was blown about by winds

Also in 1957 a nuclear waste site at Khystm exploded and spread contamination widely

top topics

<<   2 >>

join