It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blocking Members?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This ‘Blocking’ mechanism sounds like a wonderful operation. Whilst I can’t imagine anyone would want to block my highly intellectual and informative posts, their are many unsavoury and less informed characters (no names here) who frequent these boards that I would gladly never read again.

Perhaps the kindly moderators could arrange for a poll where we can vote for those members we would like to silence forever?

edit on 25-1-2021 by DougHole64 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2021 by DougHole64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DougHole64
This ‘Blocking’ mechanism sounds like a wonderful operation. Whilst I can’t imagine anyone would want to block my highly intellectual and informative posts, their are many unsavoury and less informed characters (no names here) who frequent these boards that I would gladly never read again.

Perhaps the kindly moderators could arrange for a poll where we can vote for those members we would like to silence forever?

Such a lovely and delicious thought... but alas...

It seems it is not attainable just yet.

Let it be up to the new Owners to decide I guess.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

I am glad we did away with that feature a long time ago.
I would probably be shocked by how many had me on their
ignore list if I knew.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

I am glad we did away with that feature a long time ago.
I would probably be shocked by how many had me on their
ignore list if I knew.

Ah, a 'culprit' then?

No problem. It was an honest and open question.
I understand the nuances behind it and accept the reasons behind why things are as they are right now.

No harm, no foul.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
...and I had to read everything AM posts...so it kinda works out in the end.

This explains a thing or two...

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Good/useful feature at GasBuddy.com forum.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think an "Ignore Thread" would be the better option. Seems like a thing most message boards have. I understand it is a little different than what the OP is getting at but I think the end result would be the same. At this point - if you are still coming to ATS you probably have some firmly planted beliefs and you know the kind of threads that are going to have the kind of users participating that you would want to ignore anyway. So the ability to "ignore" these threads would have the same effect as ignoring those people.

If you are here for anything but politics I see no reason to need to ignore people. Even if you know that some right/left wing jerk from the political threads is spouting something off in the UFO/Alien forum, you can just skip past their post. I think there is a strong argument for more civil discourse this way. If people can get along in the Ancient/Lost Civilization threads and the Space Exploration threads and the Area 51 threads but NOT know what those same people's horrible politics are, then maybe that is for the best.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: entermemo
I think an "Ignore Thread" would be the better option. Seems like a thing most message boards have. I understand it is a little different than what the OP is getting at but I think the end result would be the same. At this point - if you are still coming to ATS you probably have some firmly planted beliefs and you know the kind of threads that are going to have the kind of users participating that you would want to ignore anyway. So the ability to "ignore" these threads would have the same effect as ignoring those people.

If you are here for anything but politics I see no reason to need to ignore people. Even if you know that some right/left wing jerk from the political threads is spouting something off in the UFO/Alien forum, you can just skip past their post. I think there is a strong argument for more civil discourse this way. If people can get along in the Ancient/Lost Civilization threads and the Space Exploration threads and the Area 51 threads but NOT know what those same people's horrible politics are, then maybe that is for the best.

Ignoring/blocking threads would be fantastic.

It's not about censorship at all. It's about individual choice.
I'm not left/right anything. I just simply don't care. I'm European and could not care less about American politics.
It's disheartening to come to these forums on a daily basis and only see "Mudpit" this and "Mudpit" that and bloody well "Mudpit" everything else.
Yes, I can simply not "go" to those forums... but they still infest this site. Whatever. It's just my opinion.

I don't want to see certain threads or posts from certain members. I can live with their nonsense.
It's a "nice to have" feature that I'm talking about. If it's not allowed then that's fine.
I'll simply keep to my niche areas.
edit on 25-1-2021 by Kreeate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Maybe we could bloke members before 05, I don't remember.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
ATS is one of the few spaces left where we can't ignore each other and live in our echo chambers.

Used to.

They ended it.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Maybe we could bloke members before 05, I don't remember.

Not sure what you mean by "bloke", please elaborate?

EDIT: I'm assuming you meant "block". Autocorrect can be a pain sometimes

Yeah, I've heard that a block feature was indeed possible many years ago.
People got their t*ts all in a bunch, together with their knickers and complained about the freedom of the individual.
I guess that freedom died somewhere along with Google and Facebook privacy.

Got to love the new world.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I'd be chatting with exactly 9 lefties who chose not to ignore my posts by now, that's what's up with your suboptimal method. You have no idea where you're at, do you?

Our gatekeepers simply pretend you aint here until they can't. And once they hone in on your person (as in: not on the topic), all that hate will run your mills in ways you never imagined. Which is why you should try to deny ignorance, just saying.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

You have no idea where you're at, do you?

Not the point. Point is... I want the choice/option... which I currently don't have.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Except now...I need a stair-master-chair lift.

You know...up n down at 1/4 mph?!

edit on 25-1-2021 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Except now...I need a stair-master-chair lift.

You know...up n down at 1/4 mph?!

That's fine. Where we're going, it's worth the extra effort

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Way to gloss over my points cuz you want a pony. Alright, cookie?

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

When?

You and I are both here.

The format never changed.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 09:41 PM
link   

If I don't want to read something written by a member with whom I disagree with. . . . I just don't read the post.

I don't see what the issue is.

posted on Jan, 25 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Way to gloss over my points cuz you want a pony. Alright, cookie?

You made no points sweetie. Better luck next time for the big prize.

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If I don't want to read something written by a member with whom I disagree with. . . . I just don't read the post.

I don't see what the issue is.

Sure, I can agree with that aspect. Point is, the garbage posts/threads are becoming like spam/popup ads... infesting everything everywhere and it's becoming a task to filter through it all. Yes, I know there are structured sections. That's not my point. The garbage is so popular that it's constantly shoved to the top, basically being shoved down my throat, even though I have absolutely no interest in any of it whatsoever.

Whatever. I don't care anymore. I can simply go to another site. It's not like I'm chained to this one.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 06:11 AM
link   

This wouldn't work for me because I would literally block everyone until ATS was just me...talking and arguing with myself.

Don't make me make you hold my #in beer mate.........

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join