It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Told to Make Arrests Even if There’s No Crime

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Full Title: High Level Cop Exposes Illegal Quota — Cops Told to Make Arrests Even if There’s No Crime
Most of us have heard of such corrupt things done by police departments. At least this time there is a lawsuit involved. It is not just big cities that do this but small cities as well; that is how they fund their police departments. Speed limits going from 70 MPH to 30MPH is a 1/4 of a mile works great at catching people who do not slow down fast enough.

The most recent ticket writing and arrest scheme to be exposed comes out of Chicago, Illinois. The Chicago police department is one of the most notoriously corrupt departments in the country which is why it should come as no surprise the cop who exposed the illegal quota system was retaliated against.

Chicago Police lieutenant Franklin Paz, Jr., 48, has since filed a lawsuit against the department after he was demoted and reassigned to an entry-level position for exposing the department’s illegal arrest quota. Paz was in charge of a “platoon” of cops in a special unit called the Community Safety Team. As the lawsuit illustrates, however, the team was not at all concerned with safety, nor did they care about community.

The quota system, according to the lawsuit, was run by Deputy Chief Michael Barz who urged Paz and other lieutenants to increase the number of arrests, traffic stops, and tickets — regardless of actual criminal activity. In other words, cops were told to act like mafia goons and constantly shake down and harass citizens within the community.

“The use of numbers and statistics, particularly traffic stops, became the primary basis that Barz used to evaluate the work that the officers under his command were doing,” the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit also said Barz “expected” officers assigned to the new team to “generate specific amounts of police activity per shift they worked.” According to CBS 2, there are more than 1,000 officers assigned to the CST, which means tens of thousands of citizens were harassed by them on a daily basis.

www.activistpost.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I know for a fact the city and county departments where I live have no such quota so let’s not generalize.

Regarding the OP - it’s Chicago, and based on what i know about Chicago, not surprised.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'm sure there's no racial profiling involved in making these arrests.

edit on 1/21/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Variable2027

Well. Maybe so. Could be. Who knows?

I’m not trying to derail but there is copious info here about LEOs ranging from jurisdiction and protocol, to abuse of authority and civil forfeiture.....

But this has me recalling the recent thread that garnered attention concerning Superior, AZ PD....

Might wanna look into it

edit on 21-1-2021 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Is that all you could come up with since it's Chicago? Thoughts like yours is why we'll never get past race.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Do you think ignoring racial profiling will make it go away?

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Sounds like Lightfoot is a fascist and a racist.

ACAB.

Let's gooooo!

No justice, no peas!

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Sounds like Lightfoot has nothing to do with it. But she may get involved, now.

The quota system, according to the lawsuit, was run by Deputy Chief Michael Barz who urged Paz and other lieutenants to increase the number of arrests, traffic stops, and tickets — regardless of actual criminal activity.

Newly appointed Chicago police Deputy Chief Michael Barz, of the community safety team, speaks Sept. 21, 2020, during a news conference outside the 5th District station. (Erin Hooley / Chicago Tribune)

www.chicagotribune.com...

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I'm sure there's no racial profiling involved in making these arrests.

Because racial profiling would be done by Chicago's Chief of Police, David Brown, a BLACK man, working for Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot, a BLACK woman.

Quite aside from the fact that profiling for Black drivers from 1/4 mile away from police car radar positions when the target vehicle is going 70 mph is near impossible.

Think a little, just a little....

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Michael Barz is not the Chief of Police, nor is he the Mayor. But he is the one who runs the policy. All he wants is more arrests. But I'm sure racial profiling won't be a factor in those arrests for his little "community safety team." Of course it won't.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Do you think ignoring racial profiling will make it go away?

Is it racial profiling or just profiling in general? Where do you live Phage? You ever spend much time in pockets of America that are just down right dysfunctional as a society? Are there places in Chicago, or LA, or generic_01 city were you would not go?

What is the profiling there? Is it racial, or is it just a lot of bad people concentrated no matter what color they are. Everyone profiles...

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
Jackson

What is it...their color or what their color represents walking down the street in some crappy part of a city and you hear footsteps?

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Everyone profiles..

Perhaps.
But when those who have authority over others do so it becomes highly problematic. When someone is stopped (and perhaps in this case arrested) only because of their race, it becomes highly problematic.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Michael Barz is not the Chief of Police, nor is he the Mayor. But he is the one who runs the policy. All he wants is more arrests. But I'm sure racial profiling won't be a factor in those arrests for his little "community safety team." Of course it won't.

Do they really care who they stop, give tickets to etc? I have my share of speed traps and just strange stops by police and I'm 60 year old white guy and drive a high end car... I even had a cop pull his gun on me as I was driving home from work because stopping for doing 5 over and happen to see some targets in my car as I dug for my insurance.

Now if you are in the area of Chicago that kill about 20 people on a typical weekend I'm sure just being Black in that area will get you profiled, not saying it is right or wrong...just human nature...

edit on 21-1-2021 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Now if you are in the area of Chicago that kill about 20 people on a typical weekend I'm sure just being Black in that area will get you profiled
And if you're black in a white neighborhood, no problem?

just human nature..

And boys will be boys.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Perhaps.
But when those who have authority over others do so it becomes highly problematic. When someone is stopped (and perhaps in this case arrested) only because of their race, it becomes highly problematic.

Is it because of their race or because they fit a description of who commits typical crimes in that area. I understand what you are saying and it is a fine line that needs to be very carefully walked.

I truly believe cops mirror their environment. If it is a bad area the cops are going to be harsh and unforgiving because the area is harsh and unforgiving.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:54 AM
link   

And I'm sure arrest quotas wouldn't exacerbate the situation.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 01:58 AM
link   

And if you're black in a white neighborhood, no problem?

Is that even a thing anymore...lol I live near white ass Portland and my area is very mixed, the old "white neighborhood" is really a thing of the past. Just the houses around me is a gay couple, a Mexican family, maybe 3 or 4 mixed couples Asians Black, hell even Iranian...lol

And boys will be boys.

You learn what is dangerous through life experiences, right? 4 young men no matter their color standing on a street corner in a bad neighborhood just might get you to cross the street...

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 02:02 AM
link   

And I'm sure arrest quotas wouldn't exacerbate the situation.

We can agree arrest quotas are 100% wrong and the guy should be fired and the city should get its ass sued off. There is so much wrong with just that without bring in "they are racial profiling" to do it.

posted on Jan, 21 2021 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Yeah. No problem.
Except for those who are detained or arrested simply because they are black.

(post by Breakthestreak removed for political trolling and baiting)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join