It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia Is Building an Entire City in a Straight Line

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Saudi Prince Mohammed Bin Salman has made the announcement that they are building a new city in the desert that will be a Smart City utilizing the latest in technology AND it will be built in a line that's 105 miles long. Obviously, this new city is called "The line."

Saudi Arabia has shared a wild idea to build a city without roads, where 1 million people will live in one long line along a core train track.

Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, said in his Apple-like announcement that no one will live more than a “5-minute walk” from the services and shops they need, and the train line that anchors the line city will take just 20 minutes to travel its entire over 105-mile length.

THE LINE, as bin Salman is calling the ambitious project, will "preserve 95 [percent] of nature ... with zero cars, zero streets, and zero carbon emissions," he said in a press release. The city will be powered by 100 percent clean energy and artificial intelligence, while "an estimated 90 [percent] of available data will be harnessed to enhance infrastructure capabilities far beyond the 1 [percent] typically utilized in existing smart cities.

I don't know if this idea will work. It sounds good on paper but reality is a different beast. There may be many unforeseen issues that may may arise from this type of city. Maybe it will work just fine and I'm all wrong..! Who knows? I guess we'll just have to wait until it's built. What say you, ATS? Good idea? Bad idea?

www.yahoo.com...

+36 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Wait until he discovers the circle.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Why mess around, they have the money why not build EPCOT?

edit on 16-1-2021 by Guyfriday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
Why mess around, they have the money why not build EPCOT?

Yeah, they have so much money they can pretty much throw it away keeping up an impractical project. They'll just do it to say they did. UAE is kinda the poster child for doing it.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

the theory goes that a linear city could grow from either end and be a low impact on the environment where a circular city ie how cities are now, doesn't allow for "clean" growth.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 16-1-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

the theory goes that a linear city could grow from either end and be a low impact on the environment where a circular city ie how cities are now, doesn't allow for "clean" growth.

en.wikipedia.org...

Spoil sport!

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Let's hope somebody's bright enough to put the 7/11 at the midpoint.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

en.wikipedia.org...

gee, I hope they don't hurt the desert sands.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Such a horribly inefficient design... Your production and end user are always further than they need to be.
That's the problem with 'modern' design... it's more of a chest-thumping display of wealth than smart use.
Of course, for as long as the selfish elite run things, this is how they'll continue to waste potential on what could be amazing.
This is the way cities should be built, to maximize production and access with minimal energy, resource and time:

edit on 16-1-2021 by ADAMandEVIL because: Eta fix

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The start of a long wall?

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

No way to defend that. Forget bridges, one explosion would take out the thorofare (bad fortress planning). Fez, Morocco has the best city design ever; a giant Bysantine maze in which you need a guide to find destinations.
edit on 16-1-2021 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

You get a star for this comment! Made me laugh!

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Star for the laugh.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I'm wondering how city services will work like trash hauling and waiste management...? What about mail and other transportation services...? How will it all work when there are no cars and no transportation besides a train that everyone has to depend on?

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Star for the laugh.

I hate stars. I like coloring outside the lines (you replied to yourself).
edit on 16-1-2021 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The Saudi’s aren’t building anything.
They just pay someone else to build things.

When the oil finally drys up they will just be another crap hole in a desert.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I'm wondering how city services will work like trash hauling and waiste management...? What about mail and other transportation services...? How will it all work when there are no cars and no transportation besides a train that everyone has to depend on?

I wonder about the reliability of the electrical "grid" and how waste water management would work..

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Slaves you and me. Well not me to old.

posted on Jan, 16 2021 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Let's see how they incorporate Hospitals , Fire dept's, EMS, police, routine health care ....

I must admit I'm curious to see this get built and see how it will function.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join