It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ham Radio Recommendations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Amateur radio is regulated and licensed by the FCC. To get on the ground level you must pass a 35 question multiple answer test and since the first of the year the FCC has implemented a $35 charge for the license in addition to the $0 to $25 dollars the VE's charge, rates vary from club to club.
The technician class is good for all of 2 meter, 1.25 meter, 70 centimetre and higher frequencies usually not used by a technician. Certain parts of High Frequency (HF) are also open to Tech's.

General class is next and includes most High Frequency and all of the normally FM frequencies (2 meter on up). Separate 35 question test and an additional $35 + testing costs again.

Amateur Extra is basically everything, passing a 50 question test and again the $35 + costs. I am an Extra and a VE (Volunteer Examiner).
If a SHTF scenario occurs, High Frequency would be used for long distances and the FM 2 meter and higher would be used for short range communication among amateur radio operators.

There are other avenues one can use, FRS, GMRS, CB as mentioned, and MURS. FRS does not need a license, GMRS license is now $35 and no testing. MURS and the Low Power Radio Service (LPRS) are included in the family of Citizen Band Services, no license required.

All of the services I described are easily found with search engines and are listed on Wikipedia.
edit on 1/10/2021 by NightFlight because: spelling

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Just takes a trip to the hardware store!

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: Anathros

I highly recommend you learn Morse (i.e. CW) too. It's a good backup and carries better than voice in the event of low power long distance, or interference.

.... . .-.. .-.. --- / ..-. . .-.. .-.. --- .-- / .... ..- -- .- -. ... .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... . .-.. --- ...- . -.. / .... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. --- - / ... ..- .-. ...- .. ...- . / .- / --. .-.. --- .-. .. --- ..- ... / . -- .--. / .- - - .- -.-. -.- / .. -. / .- / .-.. . .- -.. / -... --- -..- .-.-.- / .. / -.. --- / -. --- - / .-.. .. -.- . / --. .-. . . -. / . --. --. ... / .- -. -.. / .... .- -- .-.-.- 😁

Best I learn because an EMP would not let me translate after the facts.
morsecode.world...

If a lead box won't let your radio survive, I doubt you would be around to talk on it, either...

We found that regular ammo boxes with the handy talkie within it and closed properly worked well. Just about any radio size can be fitted in one or another size ammo or other ordnance box with appropriate cover. We didn't have cell phones or any other personal electronic devices to test at the time. They weren't around, yet.

I'm sure you have heard the Mig 25 radio story...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: Anathros

I highly recommend you learn Morse (i.e. CW) too. It's a good backup and carries better than voice in the event of low power long distance, or interference.

.... . .-.. .-.. --- / ..-. . .-.. .-.. --- .-- / .... ..- -- .- -. ... .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... . .-.. --- ...- . -.. / .... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. --- - / ... ..- .-. ...- .. ...- . / .- / --. .-.. --- .-. .. --- ..- ... / . -- .--. / .- - - .- -.-. -.- / .. -. / .- / .-.. . .- -.. / -... --- -..- .-.-.- / .. / -.. --- / -. --- - / .-.. .. -.- . / --. .-. . . -. / . --. --. ... / .- -. -.. / .... .- -- .-.-.- 😁

Best I learn because an EMP would not let me translate after the facts.
morsecode.world...

_ . _ . _ _ . _ _ . _ . _ _ . _ _ . . .

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'm thinking you still want to unplug whatever the unit..if possible, probably best to have a generator too.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
Amateur radio is regulated and licensed by the FCC. To get on the ground level you must pass a 35 question multiple answer test and since the first of the year the FCC has implemented a $35 charge for the license in addition to the $0 to $25 dollars the VE's charge, rates vary from club to club.
The technician class is good for all of 2 meter, 1.25 meter, 70 centimetre and higher frequencies usually not used by a technician. Certain parts of High Frequency (HF) are also open to Tech's.

General class is next and includes most High Frequency and all of the normally FM frequencies (2 meter on up). Separate 35 question test and an additional $35 + testing costs again.

Amateur Extra is basically everything, passing a 50 question test and again the $35 + costs. I am an Extra and a VE (Volunteer Examiner).
If a SHTF scenario occurs, High Frequency would be used for long distances and the FM 2 meter and higher would be used for short range communication among amateur radio operators.

There are other avenues one can use, FRS, GMRS, CB as mentioned, and MURS. FRS does not need a license, GMRS license is now $35 and no testing. MURS and the Low Power Radio Service (LPRS) are included in the family of Citizen Band Services, no license required.

All of the services I described are easily found with search engines and are listed on Wikipedia.

Thanks for this.

I'm Canadian, but I was sure this was regulated in the US. I thought States handle it, but it's Federal.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MRuss

The best SHTF radio is any radio that works.

You can find some of the best Ham radios on www.gigaparts.com...

A good ham radio would be a HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Transceiver.
List of my fav all mode radios:
Icom IC-705
Yaesu FT-991A
Yaesu FT-818ND 6W HF/VHF/UHF Transceiver

The Yaesu FT-818ND would be my pick, it is a cheap small compact radio and built like a tank.

other communication tools or devices:
Large spool of 50ohm coax
Large spools of wire to create antennas.
solar panel system with lithium ion batteries
tablet computer/with software to run main radio or sdr radios/ antenna calculator app etc.

and of course a faraday cage...

checkout this Ham guy on youtube:
He covers almost everything you would want to know.
www.youtube.com...

What’s the buzz on staying in touch under communism?
Use cryptography for all communications

The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: HalWesten
Tube-powered units that can withstand EMPs. There are many out there, I have tubes that can be used in some of them just because my collection is so large. A buddy is a long-time ham guy, I've only ever had (and still do) CBs. The ham world is alive and well, you shouldn't have any trouble finding out what's what.

Tubes you say

I'm a tube guy!! big triodes, 211s, 845s, 805s, mercury rectifiers..etc, I know there are much bigger

I have a supply of 4-250A tubes. They can warm the room.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Tetete.... made me snort😆

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

Tube-powered units that can withstand EMPs. There are many out there, I have tubes that can be used in some of them just because my collection is so large. A buddy is a long-time ham guy, I've only ever had (and still do) CBs. The ham world is alive and well, you shouldn't have any trouble finding out what's what.

Tubes you say

I'm a tube guy!! big triodes, 211s, 845s, 805s, mercury rectifiers..etc, I know there are much bigger

Nice..I bet they do! I like running the tube gear in winter

My interest is in high end-ish home audio, I would like to play around with some 833 tubes. Mostly I use WWII 211 triodes, and 845..hard to find old ones of those..$$

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Tubes you say

My interest is in high end-ish home audio, I would like to play around with some 833 tubes. Mostly I use WWII 211 triodes, and 845..hard to find old ones of those..$$

I had a part time job in school that included selling Marantz and McIntosh audio. All matched set tubes and high end individual components; no integrated circuits. The transformers [Thordarson-Meissner] and all steel chassis made them weight-lifters friends. They were expensive then but I don't know what they are worth now. Unfortunately, I don't own any.

posted on Jan, 11 2021 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Tubes you say

I had a part time job in school that included selling Marantz and McIntosh audio. All matched set tubes and high end individual components; no integrated circuits. The transformers [Thordarson-Meissner] and all steel chassis made them weight-lifters friends. They were expensive then but I don't know what they are worth now. Unfortunately, I don't own any.

Nice job, I would of been right at home! Marantz made great stuff, McIntosh too, I run vintage McIntosh in the bedroom system. A lot of the old Marantz and Mc gear is worth good $. Cool Marantz trivia..they had had some gear on the Appolo mission!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join