It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ham Radio Recommendations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:33 PM
link   
What’s a good radio to have when the SHTF? Ham? All weather? Any other communication tools or devices you recommend? How about The Telegram App? What’s the buzz on staying in touch under communism?! 😊

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Tube-powered units that can withstand EMPs. There are many out there, I have tubes that can be used in some of them just because my collection is so large. A buddy is a long-time ham guy, I've only ever had (and still do) CBs. The ham world is alive and well, you shouldn't have any trouble finding out what's what.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Tube-powered units that can withstand EMPs. There are many out there, I have tubes that can be used in some of them just because my collection is so large. A buddy is a long-time ham guy, I've only ever had (and still do) CBs. The ham world is alive and well, you shouldn't have any trouble finding out what's what.

Unless you surround your digital unit in a Faraday cage...and then it would be protected from EMP.

ETA: And, obviously, keep it unplugged and disconnected to the antenna until needed.

edit on 1/10/2021 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Yeah, a tube-type hf rig would be good with a dipole hung across the yard. I would count on repeaters for lower bands being functional or safe from intrusion since 90 percent of repeaters have gone digital, In fact, there is an app for that now. Get you a morse code key and learn a little because then you can use it on little to no power so if you have to go on battery back up you can conserve energy.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
What’s a good radio to have when the SHTF? Ham? All weather? Any other communication tools or devices you recommend? How about The Telegram App? What’s the buzz on staying in touch under communism?! 😊

Ham is for sandwich...

its called A.M radio it stand for Amplitude modulation.

Just saying
edit on 10-1-2021 by THeGreaTZoiD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MRuss
1. You've gotta know how to use your comms.
2. You've gotta have people with similar (in most cases) comms.
3. You've gotta be listening when the other end decides they're gonna start talking.

Most people won't need anything more than a cheap Midland walkie-talkie per family member. They're usually good for the distances you'll be separated by.

If you really want to know more:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Not sure about yours but some States require certification and registration.

Then you're not a Ham, anymore...

edit on 1/10/2021 by MykeNukem because: eta

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Im like the person he was talking about. Buy a Chinese receiver and keep it in the box, and dont read the manual...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Unless you surround your digital unit in a Faraday cage...and then it would be protected from EMP.

ETA: And, obviously, keep it unplugged and disconnected to the antenna until needed.

Well of course, but how many people have their own Faraday cage?

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: THeGreaTZoiD

Ham is for sandwich...

Just saying

And has been known by "Ham" since the early 1900s. It's what most people know it by. Just sayin'.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:10 PM
link   

All it takes is the cost of copper screen from a hardware store, and solder.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I know what it takes, that didn't answer my question.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Ok, to directly answer your question, MOST people have one in their home and do not even know it.

It is commonly known as a Microwave Oven.

Pick up a scrap one that has the magneto burned out and use it as a storage container.

BAZINGA...instant faraday cage for free.

PS: Oh, and multiple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil (common in most kitchens) also works.

edit on 1/10/2021 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:38 PM
link   

'

I think the point was that you could easily build one yourself. It's not rocket science.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: THeGreaTZoiD

Ham is for sandwich...

Just saying

What???? HAM radio is also known as amateur radio. It is regulated by the Federal government (not the states) and requires special licenses and passing specific tests to operate. HAM radio bands can be found all over the spectrum and some can transmit globally. Though not as popular as it once was, it was the "internet" of its day. There are currently about 3 million HAM radio operators worldwide. Check out AARL for more information.

If you're going to be that ignorant, just STFU.

Just sayin'

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

'

I think the point was that you could easily build one yourself. It's not rocket science.

I get that. Most people that aren't into things like this won't have a clue. We're a very small percent of the population.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   
A friend and I just got our technician licenses and call signs for HAM. I disliked the idea of having to pay for the license but it beats the fines of transmitting without one. We use them when we're at deer camp or off road camping with out families. As far as SHTF goes..I dont have a real plan to deal with anything other than a few months of food, water, and shelter.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Tubes you say

I'm a tube guy!! big triodes, 211s, 845s, 805s, mercury rectifiers..etc, I know there are much bigger
edit on 10-1-2021 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

I highly recommend you learn Morse (i.e. CW) too. It's a good backup and carries better than voice in the event of low power long distance, or interference.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 06:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Anathros

I highly recommend you learn Morse (i.e. CW) too. It's a good backup and carries better than voice in the event of low power long distance, or interference.

.... . .-.. .-.. --- / ..-. . .-.. .-.. --- .-- / .... ..- -- .- -. ... .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... . .-.. --- ...- . -.. / .... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. --- - / ... ..- .-. ...- .. ...- . / .- / --. .-.. --- .-. .. --- ..- ... / . -- .--. / .- - - .- -.-. -.- / .. -. / .- / .-.. . .- -.. / -... --- -..- .-.-.- / .. / -.. --- / -. --- - / .-.. .. -.- . / --. .-. . . -. / . --. --. ... / .- -. -.. / .... .- -- .-.-.- 😁

Best I learn because an EMP would not let me translate after the facts.
morsecode.world...
edit on 10-1-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join