It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mozilla Foundation CEO: We Need More Than Deplatforming

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Majic

Isn't there a way to cut off the internet, like they do in North Korea, Iran, CHINA? Did anyone ask former VP Al Gore? He claims to have invented the Internet.

We're going to need that ability, according to the incoming Biden Administration.

He invented pants too

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray
a reply to: stormbringercompanion

Brave has built-in Tor connectivity. I use it and have a wallet for my BAT but recently the payouts have been abysmal so I've shut off ads. You can also use BAT to tip websites that participate, a neat way to fund sites that get attacked and whose payment processors refuse to work with anymore.

I've never had a problem with Brave and highly recommend it.

Just switched to Brave today. So far multiples faster than Firefox.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

As it happens, I independently decided to give Brave a try as my first candidate for a Firefox replacement. Among several other considerations, I was encouraged by this:

Study ranks the privacy of major browsers. Here are the findings

I still need to test it out with various sites to make sure all is well, but I'm posting with it here and the fact that it can use Chromium-compatible extensions has made the migration quite painless so far.

I know browser choice can be a rather passionate subject and I'm not endorsing anything here, but thanks for your recommendation, and if I don't run into any show-stoppers, I may well add my own.

After that, it will be time to finally see if I can find an alternative to Mozilla Thunderbird for centrally managing my many different email accounts...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

Yes, however....

Brave
Copyright © 2021 The Brave Authors. All rights reserved.
Brave is made available to you under the Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL) and includes open source software under a variety of other licenses. You can read instructions on how to download and build for yourself the specific source code used to create this copy.

That is from my Brave browser About page. It's based on Chromium. Now what? [Edited for accuracy]

We're not going to be able to get away from most of the big tech companies. Not until someone makes serious headway with alternatives which I have always been in favor of, since way back in the late 80s.

edit on 10-1-2021 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
Mozilla Foundation CEO: We need more than deplatforming

I've been using Mosaic/Mozilla browsers in some form or another since Netscape 0.9 in 1994, and despite some rocky roads, I've stuck with them due to a combination of inertia and general satisfaction with them. Up until now, I haven't had much cause to be concerned about the ethics of the various companies and foundations behind the software, but this changes all that.

It's not so much a matter of politics per se, but rather than I cannot trust anyone who openly calls for this sort of Orwellian reign of terror, and cannot in good conscience associate myself with any organization committed to promoting and perpetuating censorship and oppression on the Internet -- particularly when its own manifesto simultaneously declares "The internet is a global public resource that must remain open and accessible."

Hypocrisy on such a fundamental scale is a big flashing warning sign to run -- not walk -- away, so I'm looking for a browser that can serve as my new window on the Internet.

I'm being deliberately vague on technical specifications because I'm open to a wide range of options, and although I'm requesting suggestions for new browsers, I'm also interested in any opinions my fellow ATSers may wish to share regarding the accelerating shift from libertarianism to totalitarianism on the part of the Mozilla Foundation and other technology companies.

What say you?

I an disappointed as well. I held them in high regards in the tech realm as I do ARM and Linux OSes. This changes things definitely. Sad state of affairs concerning people's main communication medium, the Internet.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Brave is perfect, never have any issues with it. Someone here told me to try it.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
That is from my Brave browser About page. It's based on Chromium, yes, but Mozilla holds the license. Now what?

That is incorrect. All that means is that the browser "copyright" used is the Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL). It does not mean Mozilla owns the license to the browser code, only that the use of the browser code must follow that particular set of copyright rules.

That's all.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Who would’ve thought Mozilla would be the company to start calling for the heads of American citizens....

Oh wait. That’s not what they meant? Too soon?

My bad...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Fascism is far more popular than I ever gave it credit for. That's the explanation.

When Antifa engages in fascistic tactics on the streets of America and online they are cheered on. When their corporations couple themselves to our government and usurp our rights, they cheer.

Americans love fascism. It's far more popular than I ever thought possible and all they had to do was make us fat and comfortable and tie that comfort to their profit margin.

The average person prefers tyranny, fascism, etc. Most people don't want freedom. The like being in the matrix. Despite history, this is why the masses always seem willing to give up freedoms for convenience and security. Man's natural instinct is to be ruled over...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

I noticed that too when researching the Brave browser (such as on Wikipedia).

As with the GNU General Public License, the Mozilla Public License is a standardized legal template which does not in itself make anyone using it beholden to the Mozilla Foundation.

Even if the Mozilla Foundation should introduce a new version with objectionable terms, Brave Software, Inc. may continue to use version 2.0 indefinitely without adverse consequences, so I don't consider that a problem.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic

I noticed that too when researching the Brave browser (such as on Wikipedia).

As with the GNU General Public License, the Mozilla Public License is a standardized legal template which does not in itself make anyone using it beholden to the Mozilla Foundation.

Even if the Mozilla Foundation should introduce a new version with objectionable terms, Brave Software, Inc. may continue to use version 2.0 indefinitely without adverse consequences, so I don't consider that a problem.

Yeah, I see that.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Yeah, sorry. You probably didn't need to see that twice.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Have been using Brave for 90 percent of browsing.

Looks like it'll be 100% now

I see Brave recommended on several sites.

www.pcmag.com...
geekflare.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What was that browser I toyed around with a while back, Brave? Might dust that off soon.

ETA: drat, I replied without reading the whole thread.

Yeah, I tried out Brave a year or two ago, and it was pretty good, in terms of rendering and support of various different sites. Can recommend it.
edit on 10-1-2021 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I still use the Comodo Ice Dragon based on Firefox. Was it not an open source after all?
I cant stand the other browsers based on Chrome. You cant scroll the tabs.
They fkn shrink into tiny BS. Details like this make me angry. And I like to keep couple hundred of tabs open 🙂
In Firefox you can actually see what tab is active. The other ones are not loaded until you click on them.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The old Firefox before the sell-out with "ask me every time" cookie option, along with NoScript and Addblock was the ultimate browsing tool. Now I'm eating cookies like a lama

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well, that was easy. Brave is now my new browser, Firefox has been uninstalled from all my devices and a 26-year legacy has come to an abrupt end.

Now it's time to find a replacement for Thunderbird, and I don't expect that to be as easy.

If anyone has any suggestions for a preferably free email client that can gracefully handle multiple accounts across various services, I'm all ears.

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 03:27 PM
link   

If you're on Linux and looking for a POP email client, there is KMail (which is a bit of a resource hog) and I also tried Trojita several years ago, but it was a bit immature, feature wise.

Mailbird seems to come up often in email client searches, but I've never tried it out.

If I ditch GMail I'll probably go back to a terminal-based email client to read messages from my own mail server

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Hmm i would uninstall Firefox but idk, every alternative seems to be either Chromium or Mozilla based? Maybe its pointless because next we'll hear how Apple and Microsoft will be adding an anti-conservative update to their OS's. I'll pick a new browser when i'm formatting my computer and running pop_os exclusively.
edit on 10-1-2021 by FocusedWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FocusedWolf

Ultimately, it may all come down to who or what horrifies us the least.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join