It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "medicated generation" is all grown up. What are the implications?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

I've worked with kids who have it. And I've seen some that verifiably need to be helped a bit with meds and some who are just medicated that likely don't need it.

We're struggling along with our kiddo at the moment. He most likely has mild to moderate ADD/ADHD, but the psychologist who worked with him said that the only reason she could see to entertain meds would be if he started failing everywhere. However, he also struggles with a couple other learning disabilities at the same time. Some days, it's hard for him, really hard.

We'd prefer to not have to medicate him though.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Never Despise

There are two issues here and nobody seems to want to deal with them.

#1 We do not want to allow children to actually be children, which involves high energy, curiosity, and
more energy. The answer seems to often be let's give them medication. Unfortunately, this seems to
target young boys a lot more than girls.

#2 There is still a stigma around mental health. Some children really do need medication and it can help them
tremendously. Luckily, this stigma is changing. Unfortunately, due to problem #1 we've overmedicated kids that don't need it and failed a lot of kids that do.

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The problem is when statistics and "feeling" of the one doing the assessment are the basis for heavy personality, development, brain chemistry altering drugs.
That's outrageous.

Sure there might be some who accidentally get the right drug in the right dosis but it's luck, pure chance.

Psychology, analysis, behavioural, conversation and ergo and sport therapy - totally fine, probably everybody can benefit from that.

Psychiatrists are the real problem, not a science, not a doctor, not helping anybody. If they were doctors, if they would help anybody the absolute basis would have to be rigorous diagnosis with everything available and not just guessing patient xy might do well with drug z... Or suicide who gives a #...right?
And also a lot of those drugs they subscribe their patients for years aren't meant for that, short term intervention and by far not a "solution" forever or without supervision.
It's making me so angry!

And there's the problem why mental health needs to be destigmatised, everybody can, will and has been on a whim diagnosed with some bs and falls out of the category "can decide for themself", doctor knows best... yeah right, doctor isn't even a doctor...

posted on Dec, 22 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Well, most of us that I know take personal responsibility and have had successful lives. We did not grow up confused about if we were girls or boys. I understand that some people do have those problems, but it's up to them to deal with it. Do not expect me to participate in your fantasy. I was taught to deal with my own problems and get beyond it and be greateful for what I had. Nothing was given to us, we had to earn our place in the world. Doing that gives people self worth.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Nivhk

How's he doing now? Is he still on seroquel or quit taking it?

To be honest, i'm not sure. I haven't talked to him for a while now. Around the same time that all happened he was also double cashing disability cheques and buying expensive things and then started begging for money on facebook from all his friends to start a business. He moved back with his mom to another province and I haven't talked to him for a couple years.

I don't have much interest in reconnecting with him truth be told. Apart from all that, it's really amplified some negative, childish traits, that while were annoying, were kinda the thing you could laugh along with before, not so much now.

I met this guy when we were in our late teens working at a grocery store, as per the point of the op, he never really grew up or moved passed that even before he ended up being prescribed that junk. He ended up taking what I think he thought was the easy way out instead of trying. He'd always had that way about him. Apprently the whole anxiety thing was because one day he worried he might one day think about walking into traffic, so he talked to a therapist and instead of just talking to him, she immediately prescribed him drugs. How that's different than a drug dealer preying on some sad lonely person, I don't know, but as far as i'm concerned it might as well be the same. It feels the same as the friends i've lost to street drugs.

I actually hadn't seen him for at least 5 years before that tron incident. He'd been licinf in another provinxe, moved back with his mom sometime after i left town for school He'd been going through some rough times and had always been a bit immature, but had always been reasonably capable when I knew him.
edit on 23/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   

In the 50's and 60's, I could never skip school. My dad was a pharmacist.

Whatever I came up with....there was a pill, syrup, rub or potion to fix it.

It sets a pattern. Issue. Reward. No issue.
edit on 23-12-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Medications have risk, i have been years against ADD/ADHD medications...it`s partly also gamble, and taking risk does not to me seem rational.

A.D.H.D. Drugs Have Long-Term Risks

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 02:49 AM
link   
We have all been guinea pigs since the first processed foods were being developed. The sixties and seventies were a vast experiment in non ordinary reality by a perceived choice or unperceived design. When my son was in 3rd grade in the late eighties they wanted to put him on Ritalin. I laughed and said no way you are going to start drug therapy on this kid. These drugs are designed to keep us in the middle emotionally . No ups and no downs. They want us to be good worker bee's (drones). Following blindly with no dreams and no complaints. Just look around you and see how many people are doing just that.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88
That's a shame and has me worried that's how people view me. Not that you're wrong, but I had always been a fixer, giving the clothes on my back to others.

My issue comes from the personality reset at such a critical age and instead of finding myself, I focused on helping everyone else. I'm not really sure what my place is in life.

At work, I tend to go above and beyond, but every 2 weeks I tend to go through a day or 2 of being completely overwhelmed that I just need to hide in a closet. Doesn't help that I live with a narcissistic father who I'm sure is undiagnosed aspergers, so I have no peace even at home.

Anyways, that ends up with me losing the job and going through the cycle again. I'm not sure what to do to change, especially with covid. I'm terrible at social cues and used school through observation to learn how to interact with people, but ever since high school it's been isolation.

So I may come off abrasive to people, I know I have here, but also the reason I try to post is to put myself back into social environments. In most threads, the anxiety of making a post tends to have me wanting to delete and disappear.

posted on Dec, 23 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I almost feel like I should do something on the Minnesota seroquel scandal and do some sort of Q/A.

To help get information out about actual silenced populace, maybe find help and also a general introduction type thing.

posted on Dec, 25 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Never Despise
Starting around 30 years ago and escalating quickly, children began to be dosed with psychoactive pharmaceuticals...for attention deficit syndrome, alleged antisocial behavior, depression (especially mopey teens), OCD, and other ills.

Now, I do not mean to trivialize mental health problems in the young or in anyone else. They exist, they are real, they can be catastrophic.

Yes, but the vast majority are a direct result of a hidden attack on our young via toxic chemicals masquerading as food (sugar, HFCS, sugar, bisphenols (such as BPA and related), phthalatesm, perfluoroalkyl chemicals (PFCs), perchlorate, artificial food colors, etc etc ad nauseum.

Clean up the dieat, eliminate the sugar and processed foods (white flour products, etc etc), and 99% of the kids with symptoms return to normal.

Oh - and it is normal for kids to be kids - short attention span, etc. It is not some kind of disorder that needs medicating.

posted on Dec, 26 2020 @ 03:21 AM
link   

I'm not disagreeing with your argument, but your timeline is off by an entire generation.

The kids who were being dosed up to the eyeball with drugs come from a generation whose parents thought that they could medicate everything away. Their moms and dad were persuaded to Uppers and downer like they were candy by the commercial pharmaceutical industry decades earlier.

You've got kids on Ritalin born to mothers on Valium.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Side effects may include......you ever here those commercials and at the end they list like 40 side effects.

Id rather be depressed then have some of those side effects.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Which medicated generation? Kids these days look at old TV shows and movies from the 20th Century and wonder why nearly everyone in them is constantly smoking hard addictive narcotics.

posted on Dec, 27 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=25647835]Never Despise[/post

you know, I have been thinking like that for a while, I called it the attack of the riddelin eaters. we were getting strong armed with my son even to the length they threatened to remove him from us then after refusing for a while they dropped it. there was nothing wrong with him he just wasnt interested in some things. Glad we hunkered down he is a fine man now a plummer and he was a good kid too, wrestled 12 years 3 time state qualifier.
ya we should have drugged him

edit on 27-12-2020 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2020 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Seen many a kid go from the pills the doctor handed them to the ones they found themselves and trading and selling their prescriptions. Those drugs messed up a lot of folks, some not with us anymore. It’s disturbed medicating children this way, parents are confused and want to trust someone to help, but those they turn to are paid off for pushing another prescription out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join