It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro Tip for Cooking + Fun Facts!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I thought I'd share some pro cooking tips and fun facts...

1. If you add a little coconut oil to your cooking Kale it makes it much easier to slide it out of the pan into the garbage!

2. I burn extra calories by gagging after every bite of Kale.

3. This Kale salad tastes like I'd rather be fat.

4. Spider in your bed? Vitamin packed Kale gives you the energy and strength to burn your home to the ground and move into a spider-free home.

5. I don't understand why people have to say hurtful things like "Hey, let's go to the gym", or "Here, try this Kale".

6. "I love the taste of Kale" - Said no one, ever.

7. Reasons why I don't eat Kale: 1. It sucks. 2. I don't need another reason.

Diet
9am - Egg Whites and slice of Avocado
1pm - Kale salad
6pm - Steamed Chicken breast and steamed carrots
11pm - Half a pizza, a grilled cheese, 3 beers, a bag of chips, 23 cookies and a tub of ice cream

8. Kale is a superfood. And it's special power is tasting like bitter cardboard while convincing you to tell others how much you love it.

9. Kale smoothies taste better when they're brownies and don't have any Kale in them.

10. How do you cure the Chi-Com flu? Is it Kale? It's Kale isn't it? Please don't say it's Kale!!
edit on 12/18/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My wife made kale with fried prosciutto it was really good. Cook the kale in the grease/fat/juice from the prosciutto chunks and it has good flavour then.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

I have a great recipe for Kale

Ingredients
1 - Kale leaf
4 - Bacon
2 - Slices of Tomato
1 - Leaf of lettuce
1 Tsp - Mayo

Directions
Fry up the bacon with the Kale. Remove the Kale and discard. Drain the bacon on a paper towel. Place all 4 slices of Bacon on the bread, top with the lettuce and place the two slices of tomato on top. Spread the mayo on the second slice of bread and place on tomato. Cut sammich in half and eat.

Bada Boom!

edit on 12/18/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I actually like kale.

In the Abruzzo region in Italy, kale, the variety we call verza is part of the traditional Christmas Eve meal. It's very simple, just boiled kale eaten with white lingot or borlotti beans. Just olive oil, salt/pepper, a couple of bay leaves and a whole clove of garlic.

It could be classed as peasant food and reminds us each year of the poor times when food was scarce.

Over the years more was added to the meal depending on finances. Typically, snails, various fried fish, a variety of different fritters made with cauliflower, apple, anchovies and salted cod (baccalà). Every household normally has it's own special recipes.

Anyway, perhaps this simple dish may bring you around to appreciate kale.

edit on 18-12-2020 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Kale is one of the worst foods I know of. I studied it's chemistry intensely and it is not a superfood by anymeans. It is a goitrogen and bad if you eat it raw....most people eat it raw. It promotes blood clots and has the vitamin k to make the clotting more detrimental. It is a big source of lectins that can mess up proper digestion, a little will not hurt you...one bite is fine, but people are going nuts with it. Cooking it deactivates many of the side effects just like cooking spinach does.

I like the OP....so many people learned to love this but their thinking has been distorted by mind altering chemistry it contains.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

My wife made kale with fried prosciutto it was really good. Cook the kale in the grease/fat/juice from the prosciutto chunks and it has good flavour then.

Fried the Kale in the bacon fat. Hmmmmm doesn’t that take the ‘healthy’ right out of healthy food....

You probably gained weight from that ‘healthy’ dish.

To the OP, S & F. Damn dude, you made me laugh. And I wasn’t in a good mood. 🍻 to you!

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I would never ruin my bacon or grease by adding kale to it. That is a sin. I wouldn’t even feed it to the rabbits or goats that I would eat, if I had them. That’s a solid kale no to me.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
FailBook Girl: "I made a beautiful salad today, you should have seen it; Kale, carrots, tomatoes, everything.

I took a picture of it and posted it on Instagram.

I didn't eat it though. I tossed it in the trash because I don't hate myself. And I ordered a deep dish pan pizza instead.

The picture got a lot of likes though!"

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
U get about the same from brocolie and colieflower just eat abit more

Brocolie leafs are actualy better for you

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22
Thank you for that brilliant rebuttal for kale and reminding me of the simple pleasures of Italy. I lived in Northern (Milan) Italy for over a year (91), the Saturday markets changed my immature pallet for the better.

OP: Great laugh, thanks buddy, must admit loving kale in tahini sauce the wife makes

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Cheers! I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Milan. The north certainly has different culinary traditions, usually more calorific.

Actually, we do have something during Christmas that is more hearty and completely slipped my mind.

Fried bread... it's only had during the festive season and is a must have with the verza and fagioli, which is usually served with some broth from the boiling of the kale.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   

yeah exactly. the prosciutto chunks are very similar to the bacon I bought her a whole leg from a European deli in August so we have been hacking away at it. its going to last at least a year lol.
Thanks for sharing your BLT plus kale :p

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Does cooking it deactivate the clotty-ness?

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
a reply to: rickymouse

Does cooking it deactivate the clotty-ness?

The chemistry is heat liable. It does reduce the clotting factor quite a bit. I do not know if vinegar will do that like in Kale Salad, because vinegar sort of like has the same action on some things like cooking does. Also Kale salad usually has lots of Garlic in it, which actually helps take the charge off of the blood platelets so they do not stick together.

I do have links to chemical databases in my links, but the good one I had at some college where you could type in two food chemistries to find the resulting chemicals form is not available to me anymore, the person I knew that went school there graduated and I could not use his password anymore to get access to the computer. I can still get to one like that but I am not going to spend money to buy access or pay to go college to get access.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Make this Zuppa Toscana recipe, and bear witness to the glory and splendor that is kale!!1

Ingredients:
-1 lb spicy Italian sausage (crumbled)
-1/2 lb smoked bacon (chopped)
-1 qt. Water
-(2) 14.5 oz cans (~3 2/3 cups) chicken broth
-2 large russet potatoes (scrubbed clean, cubed)
-2 garlic cloves (peeled, crushed)
-1 med. Onion (peeled, chopped)
-2 cups Kale (chopped)
-1 cup heavy whipping cream

Instructions:
1) Brown sausage in a pan over medium to medium-high heat, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks
2) Drain sausage and set to the side
3) Brown bacon in a pan over medium-high heat, be careful not to cook crispy
4) Drain bacon and set to the side
5) Place broth, water, garlic, potatoes, & onion in a pot
6) Simmer ocer medium heat until potatoes are tender
7) Add sausage and bacon to pot
8) Simmer for 10 minutes
9) Add Kale and cream to pot
10) Season with salt & pepper
11) Heat thoroughly

Easy to double the recipe, as it freezes well

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 10:51 AM