It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its apparently official....US Cities are dying!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42 This is for the thread in general.

WE thought about moving down there from ATL suburbs, but property taxes are a little on the high side. Now looking at lower Alabama, much more House and land for the money and low taxes. But I don't think it's a place for artsy people. Or those looking for a lot of entertainment. Better stay where the museums and operas are . Only small towns and rural areas. So don't go there and mess up what's good about them.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: lostbook
a reply to: Edumakated

Wow, Chicago drivers sound like Los Angeles drivers. Although LA drivers are bad in other ways.

I haven't driven in LA but have in Seattle, Atlanta, Orlando, etc and Chicago is the worst.
People are so angry and always, always in a rush even though traffic is crawling.
There is just this tension there, and it puts you in a foul mood when driving.

I would put up Boston drivers up against them as well.

However, the most infuriating are the SWFL 100 year old drivers although even the younger ones do it as well . they like to drive right next to each other under 15 miles under the speed limit, while blocking everyone behind them for miles.

The funny thing is that when you do get that chance to get passed them, you become enraged with road raged and stare at them as you haul arse passed them flicking them the bird to only realize they are so blind and oblivious to the universe that they aren't even aware that your head is about to explode or see you.

However the killer is when you did get that chance to hall arse around them and then you get a red light then a few minutes later the same mofos show up in the lane next you at a mere crawling speeds, LOL. Or I have been told anyways.

edit on 451231America/ChicagoThu, 17 Dec 2020 18:45:29 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I think LA drivers are some of the best. It’s a car culture.

Driving is a requirement in LA. Public transportation I very limited.

And it’s very spread out.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I worked my ass off last winter to finish and sell my first place in Daytona. I closed on March 15th, and the agent didn't do any closings for quite a while afterwards. I did ok on it, doubled in under 5 years. I've never sold a place that didn't double, in fact I got up close to 20x purchase price on one place. That wasn't a big deal in Downtown Philly for a ten year project. Pro tip, cheaper places are more likely to double than expensive ones.

I used to joke how I couldn't afford to live in places I built there, but it's true. Taxes went up, values went up, and I went out. I actually have little need to travel there very much either, nor do I really want to. City life is definitely one thing when you are young, and another if you are older, and have no real reason to be there unless employed as a professional, or in university, etc.

Quality of life is much better in country and the smaller towns unless you have billions. Some people have the money, and won't be leaving...

I already have a country place in PA, no neighbors for 1/2 mile in state forest surrounded by 1 lane bridges, but I found a good deal on a 1960s elementary school up near the border with Southern Tier NY. It's nice up there, all farms, plus the tiny towns across NY...like a whole new world 90 minutes from where I am now. It's an amazing hexagon shape with moving walls and a gym plus 8 classrooms that I might convert to residential rentals.

Crazy stuff. 6.5 acres and a creek to boot.

I also have an 1860 brick and brownstone schoolhouse in a more urbany PA city, def want to flip it cheap, a triplex. Small city politics suck. I'm kind of sick of it. The town doesn't actually appreciate historic rehabs for some reason. I put in a FSBO ad and people are chomping at the bit, mostly from NY. I went under contract in 2hrs all via text. I'm still open to offers, PM me. Two other normal residentials houses to sell in the Wyoming Valley....it's not bad here but I have no reason to be squished in with 1000s of people who supposedly have the same rights as me. I'm done with urban areas. My wife works(ed) nearby downtown in a state-fed job, but she does it from home now. A new secure building, but there were junkies in the public parking lot, etc. Medium size PA towns like this one are not too great.

Anyway, wife can work from home anyplace in PA, thus the new school house. Winter in FL as much as possible. Two separate places is ideal. Nop one location in the East has good weather all year. Just got 20" of snow here, 40 inches at the new school...I am ready to head to Florida. I do like the Daytona area....drive on the beach.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I worked my ass off last winter to finish and sell my first place in Daytona. I closed on March 15th, and the agent didn't do any closings for quite a while afterwards. I did ok on it, doubled in under 5 years. I've never sold a place that didn't double, in fact I got up close to 20x purchase price on one place. That wasn't a big deal in Downtown Philly for a ten year project. Pro tip, cheaper places are more likely to double than expensive ones.

I used to joke how I couldn't afford to live in places I built there, but it's true. Taxes went up, values went up, and I went out. I actually have little need to travel there very much either, nor do I really want to. City life is definitely one thing when you are young, and another if you are older, and have no real reason to be there unless employed as a professional, or in university, etc.

Quality of life is much better in country and the smaller towns unless you have billions. Some people have the money, and won't be leaving...

I already have a country place in PA, no neighbors for 1/2 mile in state forest surrounded by 1 lane bridges, but I found a good deal on a 1960s elementary school up near the border with Southern Tier NY. It's nice up there, all farms, plus the tiny towns across NY...like a whole new world 90 minutes from where I am now. It's an amazing hexagon shape with moving walls and a gym plus 8 classrooms that I might convert to residential rentals.

Crazy stuff. 6.5 acres and a creek to boot.

I also have an 1860 brick and brownstone schoolhouse in a more urbany PA city, def want to flip it cheap, a triplex. Small city politics suck. I'm kind of sick of it. The town doesn't actually appreciate historic rehabs for some reason. I put in a FSBO ad and people are chomping at the bit, mostly from NY. I went under contract in 2hrs all via text. I'm still open to offers, PM me. Two other normal residentials houses to sell in the Wyoming Valley....it's not bad here but I have no reason to be squished in with 1000s of people who supposedly have the same rights as me. I'm done with urban areas. My wife works(ed) nearby downtown in a state-fed job, but she does it from home now. A new secure building, but there were junkies in the public parking lot, etc. Medium size PA towns like this one are not too great.

Anyway, wife can work from home anyplace in PA, thus the new school house. Winter in FL as much as possible. Two separate places is ideal. Nop one location in the East has good weather all year. Just got 20" of snow here, 40 inches at the new school...I am ready to head to Florida. I do like the Daytona area....drive on the beach.

posted on Dec, 18 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Those poor people.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The suburbs around nyc are getting filled with city folk.

And they are out bidding each other on houses

Many friends dont want to sell, but see this as the best time. Money is too good

Mostly all Asian

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

There may well be adverse political effects for the rural areas that will see the newcomers vote for the same high tax agendas they are fleeing from.

This is something that has infuriated me from day one. These liberal idiots destroy their home cities with absolutely ridiculous liberal policies until they are entirely untenable. Then they look for a thriving city to move to and find it in a red state where conservative policies are working. But the stupidity of these people knows no bounds. They move to this successful thriving city and immediately begin demanding the same idiotic liberal policies that destroyed the city they just left. I have plenty of family in Texas. They call it getting Californicated. Its just another example of how liberalism is a cancer that destroys its host - only this cancer is communicable.

posted on Dec, 19 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
Those poor people.

Literally, no, figuratively, yes.

posted on Dec, 21 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Just read this as well, Charleston is lovely, but still a little bigger than I would like. You also get the hurricane issues that may pop up from time to time, flooding due to the nature of the area as well. However, the food options and historical landmarks are some of my favorite in the south. My wife and I make the 3.5 hour drive sometimes just to go for the weekend and eat at some of our favorite places (pre-covid) or see some of the historical and cultural sights.
edit on 12/21/20 by Hypntick because: typo

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: lostbook

Wow, Chicago drivers sound like Los Angeles drivers. Although LA drivers are bad in other ways.

I haven't driven in LA but have in Seattle, Atlanta, Orlando, etc and Chicago is the worst.
People are so angry and always, always in a rush even though traffic is crawling.
There is just this tension there, and it puts you in a foul mood when driving.

Yep, sounds just like LA.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

This is why they move out. Too bad they bring it with them.

posted on Jan, 6 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Here in Southwest Michigan it's an hour or so train ride to downtown Chicago. Anything under $400 k is selling in days. They are buying $200k homes and bulldozing them. Lumber has tripled in price but nobody cares. Good carpenters are making at least $50 an hour working as many hours as they want.

Idiots are moving in. New neighbor wants to know why we don't have a big outside light on my shop. Told him thieves need light to see. I have 16 cameras that I can see everywhere from my phone.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join