It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its apparently official....US Cities are dying!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I just recently moved; from one new york city suburb to another; there are so many people moving out of the city that it has become an extream sellers market here. All houses (including the ones I sold and bought) are comandnding 8% to 10% above listing price; and listing prices are up compared to this time last year. Houses are going to contract only days (even hours) after they are listed and you can't even think about adding any contingencies as the buyer or you will be rejected out of hand.

We where not planning to sell our home; it was done on a whim following the death of our dog. We had been day dreaming about selling our home for a few years; but one thing stopping us (amongst a few others) was what we would do with our dog in the possible event that we sold faster than we bought; which would cause us to rent for a while. So after our dog died my wife got a realtor in on a lark to see what our house would be worth. The price was right; a week later we where listed and a few days later we where in contract. We got offers from people who didn't even come see the house.

Same thing happened when we went to buy. We quickly came to realize that it was a waste of time to entertain a house that was on the market for more than a day; as it would likely all ready be in pre-contract or there was something significantly wrong with it. We where given the "you are our second choice" message on 7 houses we put in a bid on even though we where offering 8-10% above listing price with no contingencies.

The house we did buy, we put in our offer with in the first hour it was listed; sight unseen except for the listing pictures. Again our offer was 10% higher than the listing price. The owners had one open house (their only showing); we got there an hour early and there where cars parked up and down the street waiting. My wife and I got online the second someone else started one; and than quickly the line was 30 or so couples deep behind us.

We got the house because my wife had the forethought to chat up the sellers as they where leaving the house prior to the open house starting. When my wife told the owner how we had put in our offer in the first hour the house was listed the owner got a shocked look on her face saying "that was you?". Later as we where going through the contract process the owners (a nice older couple) told us we where not their highest bidder; and that their realtor was urging them not to pick us. They went with us because they saw themselves in my wife and I and liked the idea of us in their house.

It certainly is a crazy market that covid has created.

edit on 15-12-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: rickymouse
It is not just cities, states like Cali are experiencing a similar result because of high taxes and a screwed up society that has become too entitles.

Just curious, have you ever lived in California?

No, but I personally know half a dozen people who have lived there over the years. Mostly in the LA area ratrace. They were enthused at first, but came back after they realized they did better around here because the more money they made there did not improve their life, they were poorer there than they were here making fifty percent more money there.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Pretty sure those leaving won't find any open inviting arms in conservative areas.....it will be a rude awakening for them, but needed.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

What are you calling "talent"? The general work force isn't the talent and companies can train anyone to do the "work". Outskirts of Metro areas have the workforce needed. The "talent" will be moved or recruited in from without. No company expects to find the C-suite, executives and the intellectual property creators/engineers among the locals when they move. Those people already exist in the company. All the company wants is cheaper taxes, lower overhead and a good workforce pool.

If you think companies don't move to cities for silly reasons then you have another think coming. I worked for a company that moved from one metro area to another because the CEO and CFO were both originally from the other city and they sold the board on how beneficial it would be for the move. It turned out not to be so great since none of the talent wanted to move and they all took a golden parachute rather than a move bonus. Within another 2 years they fired the CEO and CFO and moved overseas and with it recruited all new "talent."

I've been down this road with companies more than once.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Edumakated

We've been considering buying a home in Serenbe. Otherwise, I want to go North GA in Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, Ellijay area...

We might be neighbors in the future..

Been looking at Big Canoe area...

Honestly, never heard of it until now. Looks nice.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Commuting out is easier than in. So if someone lives inside the city and goes outside to work that is easier than going into the city from rural.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5

originally posted by: TonyS It is easy to blame the deluge on the coronavirus

it certainly is, because it's true. the scamdemic is killing society.

From 2019:

It's an hour long, but here's a summary.

Bordered by beautiful mountain ranges and gleaming waters, Seattle is one of the most desirable spots to live in the United States. According to Seattle is Dying, a documentary produced by the local KOMO news outlet, the appeal of the city is giving way to rampant crime, homelessness and disgrace.

After tackling issues related to homelessness and drug addiction in previous documentaries, the outlet decided to focus on how these elements impact the quality of life for residents and what can be done to curb the tide of despair that has gripped their beloved city.

The scope of the problem is distressing, and its visual evidence can be seen on nearly every corner. Junkyards hiding under overpasses, tents set up on the side of highways, disturbed members of the homeless community shouting obscenities on downtown streets.

The city has spent large amounts of money to battle the epidemic in their communities, but these philanthropic efforts have had little effect. The film illustrates a profound disconnect between the reality on the streets and the courses of action taken by the city's government agencies.

That disconnect is the central focus of the film as the filmmakers attempt to devise a strategy for restoring order to the region. They receive input from several whistleblower police officers who wish to remain anonymous. The conditions on the street are nearly post-apocalyptic, they claim, and the criminal justice system limits their ability to effectively enforce the law.

In a random list of 100 repeat offenders, the filmmakers find that every subject is homeless and drug-addicted. Most of those tested are afflicted with mental illness. But the majority of them have repeatedly been thrown back into society without a conviction or additional follow-up of any kind.

So the covid (whatever that means now that a vaccine is available) is just the current scapegoat for the liberalization of major cities. There is nothing wrong with liberal ideals, but it doesn't allow for a safe and growable society. Think of liberalism as nudity, it's fine for the induvial but as a society it's a bad idea. I'm not sure why all these Transcendentalist ideas have to be shoved out as the way for everybody. Didn't Fruitlands teach any of them anything?

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

It's totally different than living in Manhattan. This is the suburbs.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Gryphon66

West of Atlanta along I-20 might suit your needs.

A bit further than Douglasville, I should think.

We've been considering buying a home in Serenbe. Otherwise, I want to go North GA in Blue Ridge, Dahlonega, Ellijay area...

I was born and raised in Atlanta...moved away in 1999. I don't recognize the city anymore. Thought about moving to Morningside or Iman Park but I am kind of over city living, but sure wife would prefer that...

How recently have you visited Serenbe? It has had its fair share of major issues from a extremely liberal leadership in the community.

You may recall a story about a guy named Clay Johnson and his sexual harassment suit and accusations....he was one of them....he was on the board for Serenbe as well as their school board. The guy is a true dirtbag....I have known him since I was 6.....these are the types that run that community.

You have to be on board with all of their views and have gobs of money to live there.....it will basically be just like living in a big city.

I have stayed there numerous times and even considered buying a house there myself, until I got a chance to see the other side of their rainbow.

Oh....and I am in Sandy Springs....
edit on 12/15/20 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

East TN and West NC are pretty nice. TN even more so due to the lack of state income tax, if there were a closer major airport to that area I would have looked there rather than in SC. I'll still be close enough to the airport for when I need it, and far enough out that the only time I'll be in a city is if I have to travel for work or decide on my own to go for the day.

West NC, depending on where, you can be closer to Asheville, which in spite of the San Francisco in the mountains vibe is kind of a cool little city. Especially the food options, but I wouldn't want to live around there, gets a bit colder than I would like.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

We might be neighbors in the future..

Been looking at Big Canoe area...

Honestly, never heard of it until now. Looks nice.

Big Canoe is where a lot of Atlantans have their second homes....nice area.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

East TN and West NC are pretty nice. TN even more so due to the lack of state income tax, if there were a closer major airport to that area I would have looked there rather than in SC. I'll still be close enough to the airport for when I need it, and far enough out that the only time I'll be in a city is if I have to travel for work or decide on my own to go for the day.

West NC, depending on where, you can be closer to Asheville, which in spite of the San Francisco in the mountains vibe is kind of a cool little city. Especially the food options, but I wouldn't want to live around there, gets a bit colder than I would like.

Asheville is top of my list. But researching other Western, NC towns as well. I love Charleston, SC but that is city living and bit too rich for my wallet right now. I'm not too familiar with SC otherwise.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Asheville is top of my list. But researching other Western, NC towns as well. I love Charleston, SC but that is city living and bit too rich for my wallet right now. I'm not too familiar with SC otherwise.

Arden NC is just outside of Asheville.....really nice area and has the Sierra Nevada brewery! Very nice brewery.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

Commuting out is easier than in. So if someone lives inside the city and goes outside to work that is easier than going into the city from rural.

It depends on the city. Here in Chicago, it can take more than 1 hour to go 10 miles from downtown Chicago Loop to western suburbs on i-290 where a lot of companies had corporate offices. Upwards of two hours on a really crappy day.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Gryphon66

West of Atlanta along I-20 might suit your needs.

A bit further than Douglasville, I should think.

I was born and raised in Atlanta...moved away in 1999. I don't recognize the city anymore. Thought about moving to Morningside or Iman Park but I am kind of over city living, but sure wife would prefer that...

How recently have you visited Serenbe? It has had its fair share of major issues from a extremely liberal leadership in the community.

You may recall a story about a guy named Clay Johnson and his sexual harassment suit and accusations....he was one of them....he was on the board for Serenbe as well as their school board. The guy is a true dirtbag....I have known him since I was 6.....these are the types that run that community.

You have to be on board with all of their views and have gobs of money to live there.....it will basically be just like living in a big city.

I have stayed there numerous times and even considered buying a house there myself, until I got a chance to see the other side of their rainbow.

Oh....and I am in Sandy Springs....

Cool. Actually graduated from Riverwood High in Sandy Springs back in the day.

We usually rent a house in Serenbe for holidays and other visits to Atlanta. Fully aware it is a lib oasis. I live in a bat sh*t crazy liberal town now, so the politics wouldn't bother me too much. I was just down there meeting with a Realtor a few weeks ago. I just like that it is away from city, architecture, and amenities. Very quiet and relaxing place imho.

My problem is all the places I actually like to live tend to be pretty liberal and I guess it is that I am a foodie and like arts and culture. However, politically, I cannot stand lefties... if they could be creative and not liberal politically it would be heaven for me. I don't know if that place really exists. lol.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Ha...I had a lot of friends that graduated from Riverwood....way back in the mid 90's when it had no windows and was more like a prison....LOL. I grew up just down heards ferry in Winterthur.
edit on 12/15/20 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
In an age where most work can be done remotely via the internet, it doesn't really matter where you live. My sister-in-law works remotely for some company multiple states & hundreds of miles away. As technology progresses further, I believe many will do the same thing. I predict the major metropolises will continue to decrease in population, and cities that are currently hovering between 50,000 and 100,000 will start seeing increases

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Ha...I had a lot of friends that graduated from Riverwood....way back in the mid 90's when it had no windows and was more like a prison....LOL. I grew up just down heards ferry in Winterthur.

LOL. I graduated in '92. Definitely a prison cube! Grew up in East Point though. I was bussed up to Riverwood for High School.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

That area is beautiful but the schools are horrible. I can see why it is more of a second home/vacation like area.

posted on Dec, 15 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

a reply to: Vasa Croe

That area is beautiful but the schools are horrible. I can see why it is more of a second home/vacation like area.

Schools outside of suburbs or well defined high income city neighborhoods almost always suck.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join