It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Posterity...we all saw it coming, some just didn't recognize it

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

This is the nature of technology which can help us in our lives in so many ways but always end up being abused by evil and treacherous people

BS...the progress of technology has nothing to do with critical thinking about what freedoms you trade in for comfort.

It's like leaving your door unlocked, placing a billboard in your yard saying "I'll be back in 3 hours, the door is open but please don"t take my valuables that are in my bedroom safe (combination 5R6L4R9L)"

And then blame those evil and treacherous people for taking your stuff.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus
Come on Mr. Horus , authoritarians do not act like authoritarians all the time. Sometimes they smile and offer a hand full of candy. Sometimes they let us go to the potty by ourselves,sometimes they pretend to have our best interests at heart.

How would you know Hitler if you saw him on the street
Would he wear a German Swastika, have fascist smelling feet?
Would he walk around sig-Heiling with his hand held in the air,
Or would he wear a three piece suit and then pretend to care?

This is not 1935.

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It turns out - to my way of thinking - that our societies become everything that we don't resist. Societies are steered by those with the wealth, the authority, and the influence, and they think and plan long term. Right now, in global terms, our human world is a building site. Stuff is in place, but not quite finished. We are, by all intents and purposes, in transition, and I would suggest that those feeling the chaos and bewilderment of it all, are those over a certain age.

How's it read again..?

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

L.P. Hartley - The Go Between

I suppose we can paraphrase Hartley and reverse the direction. We can say that the future present, too, is a foreign country, and they do things differently there, also. I am from the past, but alive in the present, and the world I thought I understood I no longer do, nor care for it. Like a number of you, I can look back and see how advances in technology shaped our societies, but it did more than that, it changed the way we view the world. We ourselves changed ourselves because of the perspective we had through the lens of our own changing life experiences. Technology encroached upon our personal lives through the way it changed societies, and we all had to (begrudgingly) adapt in order to fit in and remain relevant. It is certainly something the older folk have to try to do, otherwise, we can find ourselves quickly consigned to the very fringe of society.

Of course, technology itself is not the real issue here, it is how we use it and for what purpose? The internet opened societies up to each other, brought them all to each having a voice. Waves of once disparate ideologies crashed upon foreign shores, each shouting that their way of thinking, their view of the world is just as relevant as anyone else's. In certain countries, it is the younger generations who are more open to cultural diversity and the way technology brings them together, whereas the older generations often view it as an opening schism. Britain is one such example. London may be openly diverse in cultural terms, but much of the rest of Britain still lags some distance behind, but it will get there, but not without undergoing the fracturing of the past from the present, and it is this fracturing that the older generations don't like. The past is their soul, their comfort, and the present is pretty much wrapping it up and seeking to dump it all in the trash can of irrelevancy. There's no stopping it, because new generations bring new perspectives. They embrace the change as it is seen as a victory over outmoded old principals, morals, and ethics that are looked upon as inconvenient obstacles to change. Unfortunately, where the younger generations see new horizons, the older ones see danger.

The older generation have a choice, stay relevant or simply bow and exit stage left.

posted on Dec, 17 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: fernalley

You are not alone.
You are a victim of "isolationism".
We all are.

As far as your friends and family are
concerned, sometimes it is best to
"live and let live".

After all, they should be free to believe
what they will. Just as you are.
With the power of spirit,