It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satchel anyone?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Anyone here regularly carry a satchel bag, otherwise known as a "man purse", a "murse", or a "man bag"?? I'm thinking I might want to start carrying one. Not talking about a backpack here, I have plenty of those. I know, I know...it's kind of girly, but I'm not really worried anyone is going to challenge my manhood, big, ugly and scarred up as I am.

I always find I have more stuff in my hands and pockets than I can possibly carry, and I usually wind up leaving something behind (which drives me crazy). To be quite honest, I'm kind of jealous of my wife and her purse and I'm always handing stuff to her to carry for me (which isn't fair). I mean, where else can I carry all my tampons, birth control pills, makeup and lipstick??? J/K! Seriously though, I've usually got car keys, office and other keys, my wallet, a small notebook, my sunglasses, my phone, water, a knife, a small light, a handkerchief and a bunch of other stuff.

Historically, I've always carried a small backpack with me, but there's two problems with this. 1.) I usually wind up collecting stuff in there until it weighs a ton, and...2.) I usually wind up repeatedly transferring select items out of, and back into, my pack to my person for short excursions like the store or whatever. This takes time, and it also creates another problem; in town a backpack in a car is a target for theft. A satchel, man bag or 'murse' (if you must) seems like it would work for me. Then I'd just carry it everywhere.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here regularly carries a smaller bag like this on a regular basis? Also, if you saw a big bearded ugly cowboy carrying one, would you be snickering? I mean, I do kind of worry a little bit about looking like an idiot.

Thoughts / comments?
edit on 12/4/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Check! Fanny pack, EDC bag, fringe leather messenger bag....

Sorry...original hippie!✌️

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

One, or all three?

I carried a messenger bag for a while, one of those Timbuk2 bags, and those are great bags, but I had the same problem with those that I have with a backpack...too much stuff collects in there. (my fault) So I wound up switching back to a backpack because it was easier on my back.

It might be evident, but this is a longstanding 'quest' of sorts with me...to find the perfect bag for every day.

ETA - When I was working overseas in SE Asia I often carried a small fanny pack with photocopies of my passport, ID's and other forged secret identities and money of various flavors to get out of a pinch. But fanny packs with me will not work, not here anyway.

edit on 12/4/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

He
Hehe
Hehehe

Haaaaaaaa haaaaaaa

I carry my laptop in my shoulder bag.
But when hear satchel... I think explosives. So i have a satchel full of Pillsbury Doughboy explosives for the holidays.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Exactly my point!

But you missed one...the dude from Hangover.

Anyway, yes, the stereotype.

But remember, Indiana Jones carried a 'murse' and he was cool.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I say no fn way.
Saddlebags on an antsy horse is as close as any man should journey into the purse realm.
Please don't wreck the Marlboro man caricature I have of fcd.
Ellen/Elliot Page was my last straw
Lol

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Would it help if I carried my Malboro's in there?

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Gawd...thanks a lot, like a whole bunch!

Now I need to go grab some powertools and phart, right after peeing off the porch!

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Are you talking about those portable bars people carry around to make themselves look important? Lots of pints of various boozes can fit in one of those cases and nobody would know what you really have in it. Just make sure the bottles don't clang together or some street people might steal your case.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well, you carry a ‘satchel’ in red dead redemption 2.
So if the cowboys had ‘em.. well, can’t think it’s extremely ‘girly’.

I’ve only ever tried the backpack route, use to carry one with my daily for a couple of years.
I don’t even realise if I have one on my back now, just seems like the ‘carrying’ extension of my body.

But a decent leather satchel could be nice, could maybe even mean taking some things off the belt, but last time I tried that I lost a leatherman..

If it’s done right, and carried correctly, I see nothing ‘girly’ about carrying a nice satchel, preferably made out of some think-skinned critters hide.
Should maybe get me one for fishing.

edit on 4-12-2020 by GreenGunther because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Dude, are you trying to make me cry?
Please god no!!
You'd probably have to clear out the Antifa and BLM pamphlets first.
I hear they come with every order.
Lol

I'm just playing, do what you are comfortable with, I just make my wife carry my extra stuff in her purse.
(Lol...that wasn't a dig)

Either way, post some pics of you modeling it.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I dunno, I just...the only things that should be worn over a man's shoulder like that is a bag full of tools, a rife strap or a bandolier full of grenades...
edit on 4/12/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I don't think it'd help if you carried the actual Marlboro Man in there.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

a reply to: Mandroid7

Only if it's next to your manbun holder.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

LOL!!

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

but I had the same problem with those that I have with a backpack...too much stuff collects in there.

Well see, that's the problem. Things accumulate in any bag you're gonna carry. Doesn't matter what kind of bag it is, you'll still have the same problem.

Just as an aside, I think women have pocket universe type technology built into their purses. Seriously, how can you fit that much stuff in such a small space ?
Every time my fiance opens her purse, I expect to hear this ...

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Are you intentionally trying to make me vomit???

I promise I won't be getting any penny loafers to go with them! Does that help?

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   

You have dogs yes?

Dog + 2 Satchels = Saddle-bags.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Bigburgh

Exactly my point!

But you missed one...the dude from Hangover.

Anyway, yes, the stereotype.

But remember, Indiana Jones carried a 'murse' and he was cool.

Good point

Indy was badass!

Then there's

Fluff his hair.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join