It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "unanswered questions" of Buddhism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Supposedly, Buddha refused to answer certain questions. There are several lists of the ones he would not touch; a good representative is the following list from the Majjhima Nikaya. These were assertions that Buddha refused to either confirm or deny.

1. The world is eternal.
2. The world is not eternal.
3. The world is (spatially) infinite.
4. The world is not (spatially) infinite.
5. The being imbued with a life force is identical with the body.
6. The being imbued with a life force is not identical with the body.
7. The Tathagata (a perfectly enlightened being) exists after death.
8. The Tathagata does not exist after death.
9. The Tathagata both exists and does not exist after death.
10. The Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death.

When people asked Buddha these types of questions, he basically said, "Look, I am here to help you escape from suffering, not to indulge in metaphysical theories." He used the following metaphor to highlight the futility and uselessness of such speculation:

It's just as if a man were wounded with an arrow thickly smeared with poison. His friends & companions, kinsmen & relatives would provide him with a surgeon, and the man would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the man who wounded me was a noble warrior, a priest, a merchant, or a worker.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know the given name & clan name of the man who wounded me... until I know whether he was tall, medium, or short... until I know whether he was dark, ruddy-brown, or golden-colored... until I know his home village, town, or city... until I know whether the bow with which I was wounded was a long bow or a crossbow... until I know whether the bowstring with which I was wounded was fiber, bamboo threads, sinew, hemp, or bark... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was wild or cultivated... until I know whether the feathers of the shaft with which I was wounded were those of a vulture, a stork, a hawk, a peacock, or another bird... until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was bound with the sinew of an ox, a water buffalo, a langur, or a monkey.' He would say, 'I won't have this arrow removed until I know whether the shaft with which I was wounded was that of a common arrow, a curved arrow, a barbed, a calf-toothed, or an oleander arrow.' The man would die and those things would still remain unknown to him.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Maybe he didnt know.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Budda in fact did know. Which is why he was enlightened.

At that point? No questions. Find each, his own truth (smiling).

Truth comes from within
edit on 4-12-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Buddha told people what they needed to know at specific times and places:

Upaya-kaushalya is a concept emphasizing that practitioners may use their own specific methods or techniques that fit the situation in order to gain enlightenment. The implication is that even if a technique, view, etc., is not ultimately "true" in the highest sense, it may still be an expedient practice to perform or view to hold; i.e., it may bring the practitioner closer to the true realization in a similar way. 

edit on 4-12-2020 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Never Despise

Thx for sharing.

If he would say the world is finite they would fear the end of the world.

If he would say the world is infinite they would feel sad for being mortal.

Some things don't matter certain moments.

What does really matter?
Is?

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I’m guessing the Buddha wanted his disciples to focus on the Dharma, rather than worry about metaphysics—same reason he didn’t want to be deified and worshipped (even though some did that very thing).

I read this thread and liked it.
I did not read this thread and did not like it.

edit on 4-12-2020 by Gandalf77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

A metaphor is a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable. Often a Metaphor is used for rhetorical effect, directly refers to one thing by mentioning another. It may provide clarity or identify hidden similarities between two ideas.

What you shared would be more in line with a Parable or Proverb.

edit on 12/4/2020 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn
Thanks and duly noted.

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Cool thread, thanks 😊

Diamond Sutra: Chapter 23

“Furthermore Subhuti, what I have attained in total Enlightenment is the same as what all others have attained. It is undifferentiated, regarded neither as a high state, nor a low state. It is wholly independent of any definite or arbitrary conceptions of an individual self, other selves, living beings, or a universal self.”

diamond-sutra.com...
edit on 4-12-2020 by primalfractal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: primalfractal

Thank you as well, and all others in the thread.

“Now, Kalamas, don’t go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, ‘This contemplative is our teacher.’ When you know for yourselves that, ‘These qualities are skillful; these qualities are blameless; these qualities are praised by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to welfare & to happiness’ — then you should enter & remain in them.”

-Guatama Buddha

posted on Dec, 4 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77
I’m guessing the Buddha wanted his disciples to focus on the Dharma, rather than worry about metaphysics—

Perhaps it is simpler than that.

Perhaps he was affording others a moment to reflect FOR THEMSELVES.

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The end of unnecessary suffering happens when there is no hope or desire for anything other than what is occuring.

If there is pain then there is pain.......the one that believes there should not be pain is the cause of unnecessary suffering.

The dis-ease of should (and should not.)

What is happening is happening!

Is there any thing separate from what is happening?
edit on 5-12-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 04:29 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: Never DespiseIs there any thing separate from what is happening?
YES there is. The will of Almighty God is still happening. And this is his will that you believe on him who he hath sent, Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour.

edit on 12/5/2020 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

The end of unnecessary suffering happens when there is no hope or desire for anything other than what is occuring.

So does this mean I don't have to brush my teeth anymore?

posted on Dec, 5 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Leftist

That last Buddha I met in China in 2015, did not brush had rotted teeth in his mouth most of which were missing. So no I don't suggest you stop brushing your teeth. if not for your health at least for others around you.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leftist

So does this mean I don't have to brush my teeth anymore?

Why be concerned about something that is not happening?
Being concerned with things that are not is the suffering!

So....do you dislike brushing your teeth?
Or is the thought of 'having to' brush your teeth that disturbs the peace whilst watching tv or something other than brushing your teeth?

Peace is always right here.....just as long as you are too.......but being concerned with what is not right here is why there is a search for the end of suffering.
edit on 6-12-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Letting Go - The Pathway of surrender - David R Hawkins.

Instead of listening to thoughts about why we feel the way we do and how to make life and situations better......allow the feeling and feel it.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

When you're not searching you're hiding what you are looking for.

posted on Dec, 6 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance
What are you looking for?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join