It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandfather clock issues

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You could always stick Gunther inside with a tiny hammer and a bell.

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm getting you a hand cranked Victrola for Christmas.

Please post about the hilarity that ensues when you attempt to operate the device.

Hey! It kept great time overnight (it's still working) but still no chimes.

Gotta have those chimes.
Not an expert, here,...but it always seemed to me the chimes are conditional to one of the weights functioning properly.
Whichever of the 3 doesn't incrementally lower as the clock continues to operate time-telling is the one for the chimes.

In the case of my GF clock, it's the largest and heaviest of the three...and, sometimes it's wound too tightly and needs released.

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
...and, sometimes it's wound too tightly and needs released.

Sounds like 99% of the membership here.

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

With mine, the left weight is for the hour, the center for time, the right weight (heaviest) for the quarter hour.

Will have to wait for the oil but I may play with the chains after work today.

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   

fun fact. I used to work for a company that sold computerized lumber handling equipment. The company sold a rough mill package to Howard Miller Clock co. in Zeeland Mi. I was on point for that install back in 1997 I think. It was the first whole mill job we had done. We had challenges, but overall, got what we thought was a satisfactory mill in place. They make nice clocks, and Michigan was cold in February. I remember the lead guy in the shop was an engineering master. We made several changes on the fly that amazed me. he didn't have a degree. Just experience and smarts.

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   

One last thought...
One time, I lost my chimes and 1/4 hr gongs...and opened it up for a look.
Inside, you should see a small bell hammer connected at the top by a string. Make sure that is both, intact (in my case it had rotted and snapped) and has enough slack or tension to reach the bell chime with enough force to ring.

This can get stretched or broken...or pulled too tight to properly reach and chime the bell. There should be a simple tension adjust on the backside of the hammer mech.

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

... They make nice clocks, and Michigan was cold in February. ....

Maybe I'm misreading this, but okay...what does being cold in Zeeland, MI have to do with making clocks or building a lumber mill...or the lead guy in the shop?

Sorry, but that one just zoomed over my head if it was in there somewhere? Not trying to be petty, but I was interested in your story and just didn't understand.
edit on 12/3/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
A Howard Miller GFC, niiice find! I've been by the factory here in MI (Zeeland) a few times, some day when we win the Powerball, I'm buying Howard Miller clocks, and going over to Herman Miller down the road from Howard and getting a nice custom home office desk made. Both companies make some damn expensive stuff, but it's well worth it

originally posted by: Skid Mark
I was going to leave an actual comment but you already got a lot of good advice so I'll just leave this.

Misreading without the "L" is exactly why I clicked on this thread in the first place.

Wait a minute, that didn't sound right...

I meant I misread the title as DB peddling geezer pr0n and was about to express my displeasure at his sudden career change

posted on Dec, 3 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: network dude

... They make nice clocks, and Michigan was cold in February. ....

Maybe I'm misreading this, but okay...what does being cold in Zeeland, MI have to do with making clocks or building a lumber mill...or the lead guy in the shop?

Sorry, but that one just zoomed over my head if it was in there somewhere? Not trying to be petty, but I was interested in your story and just didn't understand.

No idea what he was getting at regarding February weather, but both Herman Miller and Howard Miller are west of me over in Zeeland, MI.

posted on Jan, 15 2022 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Picking up our 2nd Howard Miller Grandfather clock tomorrow.

It's a 10 day, 3 weight unit.

The bride and I are excited!
edit on 15-1-2022 by DBCowboy because: Covid drank my beer

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Picking up our 2nd Howard Miller Grandfather clock tomorrow.

It's a 10 day, 3 weight unit.

The bride and I are excited!

You'll love it.
Sold mine when we moved...and I really miss those Westminster chimes echoing in the house at night.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join