It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandfather clock issues

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
During my cold and stay at home until I'm better, my wife had to get out of the house to get away from my whining.

While she was out she went to an estate sale and purchased a Howard Miller "Tempus Fugit" clock. It was made in 1982 according to the brass plate.

I reassembled the clock and got it going but the pendulum stops after just a few minutes.

The clock is on an even surface, is level.

Does it just need a good cleaning?

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I believe if it's a real pendulum clock you need to wind it, usually with weights on a chain...

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's the spring ...oil it or replace it.

Peace

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I would start here...

A Linky For That

How to Fix a Tempus Fugit Grandfather Clock

The pendulum is weight driven so the obvious question would be... have you wound it?

edit on 2-12-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Bottom out the weight(s) and give it a full wind up. If that doesn't work usually there's a nut at the bottom of the pendulum that might be too tight or too loose.

The one I grew up with had these issues from time to time. They are a very, slow, and patient type of hobby that you only realize needs attention when you stop hearing it tick.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

How do you "wind" it? It's a 3 weight clock with a pendulum.

link   

The escapement gear (which has curved 'sharks fin' like teeth) should be providing just enough energy to keep the pendulum in motion.

This gear needs to be driven, either by a spring mechanism or by a weighted chain mechanism. As the escapement gear moves, the top of the pendulum is pushed slightly each 'click'. The period of the swing of the pendulum ensures that it happens at a very set and stable rate, which keeps the time.

edit on 2/12/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

It's the spring ...oil it or replace it.

Peace

Looking for oil now.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

With a 'weight' clock, you pull the weights to the top. As the weights 'fall' they drive the escapement.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Bottom out the weight(s) and give it a full wind up. If that doesn't work usually there's a nut at the bottom of the pendulum that might be too tight or too loose.

The one I grew up with had these issues from time to time. They are a very, slow, and patient type of hobby that you only realize needs attention when you stop hearing it tick.

I adjusted the pendulum but I really think it needs oiled, maybe?

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

With a 'weight' clock, you pull the weights to the top. As the weights 'fall' they drive the escapement.

It's what I did.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   
My thinking was that it just needs oil, but I'm new to these things and didn't want to make any greenhorn mistakes.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Regardless, for 100 dollars, I think it was worth it even if I have to get it professionally serviced.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

During my cold and stay at home until I'm better, my wife had to get out of the house to get away from my whining.

While she was out she went to an estate sale and purchased a Howard Miller "Tempus Fugit" clock. It was made in 1982 according to the brass plate.

I reassembled the clock and got it going but the pendulum stops after just a few minutes.

Could have a broken winding coil inside. I've had that problem with mine...although it's a good century older.
Does your GF clock have weights to wind up?

link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

It's what I did, dang I'm new to these devices!

link   

Step one: open front door.

Step two: toss that POS out.

Seriously though, Youtube is always good for that stuff.

Just search for yours on there.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Could have a broken winding coil inside. I've had that problem with mine...although it's a good century older.
Does your GF clock have weights to wind up?

Yes, it's a 3-weight clock.

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I already tore the hell out of youtube just assembling it!

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

If you have the extra cash and like the clock, maybe get it professionally done, and ask questions. Otherwise, open it up and fiddle around, re-engineer it, etc.

My family grandfather clock was usually serviced by my father, I just figured out how to get it going from time to time on my own. Lots of info on the internet about them from the looks of it tho. Good luck!

posted on Dec, 2 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Thanks, it's my new "toy".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join