It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not dust devils, but boiling water!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It was rain, that has cleaned up solar panels.

The rain has left some water patches.

On the warm up, the water patches began to boil, with steam rising into the martian sky.

1. Here is the movie, starring fluff ball Martian clouds from Sol 407 to Sol 226

2. Here is the 3D picture with those clouds overhead

3. Here is a 3D picture of the boiling water, with steam rising into the Martian sky - which was mistaken for a dust devil

e
s

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Sorry dude. I just see dust. Water is a clear "colourles" liquid. The things you refer to as clouds are probably just dust particles from the rock abrasion tool that have covered the lens. The "steam" you refer to is definatley a dust devil. Several pictures of one were taken over a period of time and was measured travelling at 3 meteres a second. So unless your puddle of water is moving along the ground it cant be steam. You got proof its water?

apc

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   

2. Here is the 3D picture with those clouds overhead

Wow... Ive never seen clouds form directly between a rock and the camera like that before... it's... beautiful.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I dont' see snakes or anything, but I would like to throw in the low pressure of the martian atmosphere (around 0,147 PSI at the surface)

hypertextbook.com...

Now take a look at the Boiling point of water:

We know there is at least ice on mars, i would think that it doesn't take much friction heat to liquify or even evaporate this ice in the marsian atmosphere...

Still the dust devil explanation fit the bill as well and until we see big raindrops on the cameralens I think that seems the most probable explanation.

[edit on 18-3-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
i guess that as theres water on mars it will rain there aswell. Rarely ofcourse.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It's hard to see what photos 2 and 3 are. Photo 1 is not much but a little bit better. I still see no clouds or rain.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I would say also that the first pic is dust thrown up by the rover. Good pic of a dust devil at the bottom, thanks.

I still believe there's water up there though like Silenus said mars has substantial ice caps, even though they are made up of water and mostly carbon dioxide ice [dry ice] which they say evaporates into gas during the summer season, its possible they could be wrong. They also think water may exist under the surface of mars.

I do see what your saying about the dust devil. What you could also be seeing is a steaming mud pot of sorts, like the kind you get around volcanoes.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I agree that something gassy could very well be an artifact in the mars photo's.

The Bonneville crator images I studied when they first were released.

Buried somewhere here in the ATS copyrighted topics is a thread that I started with images indicating what I still believe to be gas plumes venting out of the crator.

I think it is becoming more apparent that there may be a frozen sub layer beneath the surface of mars. As indicated, the atmosphere being soo low, along with the radiant heating of the daylight, it could be possible that the warming of the soil by the suns energy could be taking ice immediately to a gas state, and then it would dissipate into the atmosphere after working its way out of the soil.

I wonder if the crators created by impact could actually have brought the ice closer to the surface, thereby allowing a more rapid and pressurized vaporization of the ice by the sun, producing a vent.

(I will have to search again for the link, but it is in this catagory somewhere, back several months)

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Here is my link...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

(Just past it's first year anniversary
)

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
What If and cleary just a hypathetical,
Life did or still does, exsist on Mars.
The hypothetical:
As the planet rotated further from the sun it grew cold over many years The inhabitants of this planet realized what was occuring and realized as we do here on Earth that the center of thier planet is a heat source as so is the core of the Earth. Thus making them retreat to living uder the planets surface and closer to the heat source. This would entail many years to build such a place for survival and growth but with the environment flipped upside down. The Ice and cold above you and the heat below your feet would generate enough gaseous to make it a liveable world.

Now is this possible? Sure Is Why?

Think of how much time they could of had to plan this. How many millions and millions of rotations do we have from the sun before our world goes cold. Where will we build? hmmm the only place there is a heat source!!

just my thoughts...

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Here is my link...www.abovetopsecret.com...
(Just past it's first year anniversary
)

VERY INTERESTING!

could you provide the reference to NASA original,
I want to see it in stereo.

Thanks

ES

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It looks like Dreikanters to me

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Next thing were are going ot talk about is Big Red man and how Paul bunyan is the cause of the Tharsis bulge and the microscopic red men found in the fines of martian dust

Occam's Razor folks:
Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I dont see jack all in these poor camera shots.

Has NASA learned how to properly position a camera yet? Why the limited field of view? Low quality. How are they ever going to see anything, drive the analyst crazy.

I guess rocks arent interesting enough for a decent camera.

new topics

top topics

join