It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened locally in your area?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   
While everyone seems to be focusing on the ever narrowing race for president; which tells us the country is devided but nothing more; I'm interested in hearing what happening in your area with local. Does it paint a better picture of where the country is going than the presidential election does?

For me, I live in New York, local elections are showing that the Republicans are turning back the tide that the Democrats have enjoyed the last few election cycles.

A few Republican seats that the media painted as competitive appear to not to have been. And a few seats that Democrats had won from the Republicans in past elections are going back.

My wife and I didn't have much emotional investment in the presidential race believing both major candidates to be bad choices; in the end we canceled out each others votes. But locally we both voted straight ticket Republican feeling that the Democrats had let the power go to their heads. We are happy to see the local outcomes. Hopefully it will give the Democrats pause as they move forward.

Heading into Election Day, Democrats in New York had high hopes across the ballot, with three House races targeted in a national “Red to Blue” campaign.

But by Wednesday morning, those hopes were greatly dimmed: The three Democratic candidates, all women, were far behind after the initial machine count of ballots.

Elsewhere in the state, two first-term Democratic congressmen, Max Rose and Anthony Brindisi, were in danger of losing their seats; just two years earlier, they had been hailed by their party as trailblazers who prevailed in districts traditionally held by Republicans.

And in the State Capitol, where Democrats harbored visions of a supermajority in the State Senate, the party seemed far from that goal and may even cede ground.

With more than one million mail-in ballots still to be counted in the state, final results were far from certain in many races. But the preliminary vote totals seemed to reflect a resurgence of Republican power in the New York suburbs, where at one time some Long Island towns were among the party’s biggest strongholds in the country.

The Republican hold seemed to wane in 2018, with Democrats taking seats in New York and similar suburban districts in other states. But on Tuesday, the tide seemed to turn back again, reflecting the Republicans’ success at ousting House incumbents in swing districts across the country.

That trend was mirrored nationally in results from statehouses, with the lowest number of chambers slated to change hands in more than half a century. While Democrats won both legislative houses in Arizona, they lost the House and Senate in New Hampshire.

NYT

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Not sure, votes are still being counted.

ETA: I guess they called Michigan for Biden and Peters. Somehow Peters picked up over 50k votes today out of nowhere. This whole thing smells worse than an Abitibi plant.

edit on 4-11-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Here in Florida, we managed to do something az,mi,wi,pa,ga,and nc can’t do right I guess.

We had our votes counted and tallied by today. Everyone today, is civil and annoyed with the election.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
My state of PA is crooked with asshole Tom Wolfe at the helm. My whole state is red except 6 districts making up the usual ghettos philly, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and a 3 significantly smaller districts.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Oh in Washington State there is some major wonkiness' going on.

Gov. Jay Inslee declared victory after Election Night returns showed him with a large lead over Republican challenger Loren Culp.

But wait (same source

Culp told supporters at an election party in Tenino that he would not concede the race until all the state finishes counting the votes.

"We are going to let every vote be counted. We will let every vote be heard. We are going to let the counties that haven't reported yet report. We will see what happens tomorrow night," he said.

He said he believed there could be some "irregularities" in the counting, saying that results on Referendum 90, the sexual health education measure that passed, didn't match what voters told him.

"No idea how that happened, right? Everybody I've talked to. I've talked to hundreds of thousands of people over the last 15 months. I've not met anyone who wants that, and they're telling us it passed by 60%?" he said. "You've got to be kidding me."

As soon as this happened this occurs;

“As all of you know, I’ve been the chief of police in Republic for the last four years, I was police officer there for 10 years, … received the key to the city along with other awards, even got awards from neighboring counties for the work that I’ve done both as a narcotics detective and a K-9 handler,” Culp said.

Culp had taken a leave of absence a couple months ago to finish out his campaign for governor.

“And talked to my boss, the mayor, everything was fine, and come to find out a couple days before this election, the city council had a special meeting — not their normally scheduled meeting, but a special meeting — and they voted to defund the police department, including my job,” he said.

All but one councilmember voted to defund the department, Culp said in his video.

“Not even a letter of thank you, not a plaque for 10 years of service,” he said. “Not ‘hey, Loren, thanks but we don’t need you anymore.’ They just voted to defund the police department and away with that went my job.”

Culp says Republic has had its own police force for 120 years.

“Think about that: 120 years tradition just voted on by four people on the city council to defund it, and do away with it,” Culp said. “It’s absolutely incredible. It’s unthinkable to me.”

Clearly this wasn't in retaliation for going against Inslee. So in Washington State question the Governor's office and face the consequences. And they say Trump is the Dictator.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

same ole stuff. I live in a small college town that's growing super fast with tourism and a university that won't stop growing so rent is super high and jobs are limited. Default Democrat every single time and it always gets worse every year because they know they just gotta run Democrat to win.

I'm independent but I'm tired of college students coming in and voting and changing my town and leaving in less than four years.

I know it's not about the juicy presidential election but wtf.... make these students vote in their own counties/state election if they've only been here for two years or less.
edit on 4-11-2020 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

I live in Florida also. I work in Palm Beach County, so I was not surprised to see they went with Biden, but all of the rural areas cancelled that vote out.

I was out all day in the Palm Beach Gardens area, and out in the West West Palm Beach area, if you didn't know an election was held yesterday, with the outcome being a toss up, you would not know it.

Everything was business as usual.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Went in to vote & was told that I couldn’t do regular voting, that I would have to fill out a provisional ballot, because I hadn’t sent in my mail-in ballot! Wait what? I didn’t want to do mail-in! The poll guy said that I would have had to bring in the mail-in ballot to be voided, if I wanted to do regular voting! What? He said it would have come in the mail in August & showed me one. We got to talking some more & he said that he couldn’t guarantee that the provisional ballots would even be counted! He had a manila envelope full of them. Said that he had to take them to the county seat after the polls closed. He said he has been working the polls for fifty years & never saw b.s. like there is this year!

I filled out the provisional one, but was getting more & more p.o.‘d! He put it in an envelope, put a sticker on it that had a tracking number & gave me the matching number. I went home & went through the junk mail in the recyclables, but found that darn envelope mixed in with health insurance statements. Went back to my voting place & voted a second time! Legally of course! They voided the provisional & the mail-in one. Nobody tells me that my vote might not count!!!

On a side note, they handed out Q-tips to use for the touch screen, but everybody signed the book with the same pen! 🤦‍♀️
No sanitizing of any kind, but there was a huge, gallon sized, pump jug of hand sanitizer sitting on a table. Didn’t see anybody use it though.

WOQ

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

NJ voted to legalize the MJ.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

NJ voted to legalize the MJ.

Didn’t they also try to shut down a bridge to nyc last election?

Meh crazy world
edit on 4-11-2020 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

That was before the election to teach the people of Fort Wee a lesson that Fatty Boombah Christie is the Godfather.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

ETA: I guess they called Michigan for Biden and Peters. Somehow Peters picked up over 50k votes today out of nowhere. This whole thing smells worse than an Abitibi plant.

Went to bed last night, James was up 300K. Woke this AM, James was only up 7K.

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Here in N.J. Cory Booker got Reelected to the Senate by 4 Quadrillion Votes . Geez , I didn't Know that Many People Even Lived in New Jersey ...........

posted on Nov, 4 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

Absentee votes are not votes out of nowhere.

i don't believe any of you are actually this stupid. Snap out of it.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Not quite locally, as those aren’t finished being counted somehow, but CA voters passed giving felons the right to vote.

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Guess I’m an ass for not forgetting about that. Many apologies

posted on Nov, 5 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Guess I’m an ass for not forgetting about that. Many apologies

It's cool. I understand, we have had some many political scandals here it's hard to keep track.

Remember The Torch.

top topics

join