It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with dog feeding issues please!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hello, fellow dog lovers! First thread ever.

My 15 year-old brussels griffon (above) has recently (past two or so months) stopped eating regularly. I’ll detail what all has gone on, some or all or none of which may be relevant. I’m hoping some of you may have experience with or knowledge in this area.

Background: Until February, I had three griffys, ages 14, 12, and 10. All of them are healthy and happy and active little guys. Velcro dogs, as griffys are, and are pretty much with me always.

A few months before my 12 year old died in February, all three of them pretty much stopped eating their kibble. All I ever had to do was put out a bowl of kibble, and each would eat freely. When the bowl was empty I would refill. It was great. But I started noticing I was hardly ever having to refill the bowl anymore. I started cooking chicken and rice for them, and they loved that. My middle baby died suddenly in February- one day he started having bloody diarrhea and then just straight out blood without the diarrhea, and it was so bad I had to put him down, because the vet said he wasn’t going to recover. I can still barely talk about it, and still can’t let myself think about his last moments.

So the other two were depressed for a while but got back to normal. My oldest started getting pickier and pickier about what he would eat. I started cooking different things for them twice a day. He would eat most days as long as I mixed it up (he doesn’t seem to like eating the same dish several days in a row). Then about 8 weeks ago he started just refusing his favorite foods. Also, when he would eat, he wouldn’t eat it out of the bowl. If he’s going to eat, I have to hand feed it to him, bite by bite.

Around two weeks ago I tried some pre-made refrigerated food from the pet store. Fresh Pet or Vital Pet or something. It’s in the shape of a large sausage, you slice some off, cut it up, and serve. Well, he (my problem eater) LOVED IT! For 9 days in a row he ate it up, twice a day. Now he’s off it. He will sniff food I hold up to him, and then turn his head away and up in a definite “”Get that away from me.”

He has a lot of trouble seeing and hearing. I wonder if the sight issue has anything to do with the food issue, as he often seems afraid of the food bowl. It’s odd.

So he hasn’t had a good meal in three days now. I’m about to fix him scrambled eggs with cheese and pray he eats it.

Those 9 days where he loved his food were so wonderful- not having the twice a day stress of making him food and then wondering “Is he going to eat?” was such a load off of my mind.

Any ideas? Anyone been through this? Help!!!! My two babies are like my kids. My son is in college and these two critters are my life. Help would be so fabulous! Thanks in advance, friends!

edit on 26-9-2020 by KansasGirl because: Stupid ATS picture function sucks ass

PS
Why are the photos I’m trying to upload from my phone showing up as JPEGS?? And therefore not uploadable?
edit on 26-9-2020 by KansasGirl because: ATS horrendous photo sharing tomfoolery

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

That looks a bit like my Mom's dog and she is having the same issue.
She cooks her fresh chicken and the dog just looks at her like (you gotta be ribbing me)
I keep telling her to not cater to the dog....after 24 or 48 hours, it will finally be hungry and eat what is put there.
I keep telling my mom, we have thumbs, the dog doesn't, so we are in charge.
The last thing you want is for the DOG to think it is in control.

Dogs are pack animals and they need to know you are the leader, not them.

edit on 26-9-2020 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Bloody diarrhea is a sign of a deadly virus called parvovirus you cant get another dog for like a year or year and a half. I had 2 dogs die of it dont know where it came from or how they got it.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Yep, but when you wait for the dog to eat what you put in front of it, and it refuses to eat it on the fourth day running, you do what I’m doing, which is anything I can to get him to eat.

This dog is FIFTEEN. He has literally been by my side and in my lap for fifteen years, going through some really ugly times in my life. He’s fifteen, which is old in dog years. I’m not at this point going to start going all “I’m the alpha, do what I say. You don’t want to eat? Then you starve, buddy.”

I have an appointment with a vet but it’s not until late next week.

Thank you for your input! So has your mom found anything useful with her pup? By the way, this guy has been an eater how whole life. He’s always been on the chunky side because he loves to eat.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themaskedbeast

Bloody diarrhea is a sign of a deadly virus called parvovirus you cant get another dog for like a year or year and a half. I had 2 dogs die of it dont know where it came from or how they got it.

Yeah, the vet didn’t think that’s what it was- but then again, I don’t trust that vet, after the night I went through with my baby. I can’t talk about it even now. But, if it was that, wouldn’t my other two have already gotten sick with it, by now? He died back in February.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   

No, Pooky, as I named her, is too smart and stubborn....she knows when we are trying things.
We just let her be herself and she eats when she eats....sometimes she goes days and than gorges anything put in front of her.

I wish I had a pic of her, she is a tiny little dog, sweet as pie and an asshole all at the same time.

Also, check your PMs, I sent you a pic of me and Missy, a bull mastiff and another dog friend...and yes, she was my beer holder.

edit on 26-9-2020 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Only if they got into whatever the other dog did not sure if it spreads like a flu. The vet only said if i got another dog it would die the same way. They didnt eat for about 8 days and were constantly having bloody stool they would drink water here and there very little to no food.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Also my vet didnt think that was what it was and was unsure. The 2nd vet said it was clearly parvo. I had never heard of it before that. I switched vets after that 2 years later I got an evil cat that was smarter than any dog i have ever owned.

I taught her to fetch with the ring on a milk jug lid she would go through a hole in the screen and use the bathroom outside. That cat was probably my favorite animal.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
Hello, fellow dog lovers! First thread ever.

My 15 year-old brussels griffon (above) has recently (past two or so months) stopped eating regularly. I’ll detail what all has gone on, some or all or none of which may be relevant. I’m hoping some of you may have experience with or knowledge in this area.

Background: Until February, I had three griffys, ages 14, 12, and 10. All of them are healthy and happy and active little guys. Velcro dogs, as griffys are, and are pretty much with me always.

A few months before my 12 year old died in February, all three of them pretty much stopped eating their kibble. All I ever had to do was put out a bowl of kibble, and each would eat freely. When the bowl was empty I would refill. It was great. But I started noticing I was hardly ever having to refill the bowl anymore. I started cooking chicken and rice for them, and they loved that. My middle baby died suddenly in February- one day he started having bloody diarrhea and then just straight out blood without the diarrhea, and it was so bad I had to put him down, because the vet said he wasn’t going to recover. I can still barely talk about it, and still can’t let myself think about his last moments.

So the other two were depressed for a while but got back to normal. My oldest started getting pickier and pickier about what he would eat. I started cooking different things for them twice a day. He would eat most days as long as I mixed it up (he doesn’t seem to like eating the same dish several days in a row). Then about 8 weeks ago he started just refusing his favorite foods. Also, when he would eat, he wouldn’t eat it out of the bowl. If he’s going to eat, I have to hand feed it to him, bite by bite.

Around two weeks ago I tried some pre-made refrigerated food from the pet store. Fresh Pet or Vital Pet or something. It’s in the shape of a large sausage, you slice some off, cut it up, and serve. Well, he (my problem eater) LOVED IT! For 9 days in a row he ate it up, twice a day. Now he’s off it. He will sniff food I hold up to him, and then turn his head away and up in a definite “”Get that away from me.”

He has a lot of trouble seeing and hearing. I wonder if the sight issue has anything to do with the food issue, as he often seems afraid of the food bowl. It’s odd.

So he hasn’t had a good meal in three days now. I’m about to fix him scrambled eggs with cheese and pray he eats it.

Those 9 days where he loved his food were so wonderful- not having the twice a day stress of making him food and then wondering “Is he going to eat?” was such a load off of my mind.

Any ideas? Anyone been through this? Help!!!! My two babies are like my kids. My son is in college and these two critters are my life. Help would be so fabulous! Thanks in advance, friends!

PS
Why are the photos I’m trying to upload from my phone showing up as JPEGS?? And therefore not uploadable?

Let him go, friend. Lost our 2 dogs...10 yrs, 15yrs...gotta 1 year old yorkie.

Do the best thing....blessings your way!

PS But as long as he's active, healthy...? G. Bless
edit on 26-9-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

"Lucky"-16yrs old... Rip 2019

edit on 26-9-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Have the vet check out it's teeth.
With the "pain association" response to the bowl and eating soft food easily.
May be something there.
Right now, you can check for excessive plaque around gum line, loose teeth and any inflammation
or discoloration in the gums.
Especially in the back right behind his big molars.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You've done everything you can do. My old dogs got picky about eating when it's their time. Often they've required hand feeding as well. The only suggestion I can offer is to try baby food - liver, beef, chicken NO veg. Sorry to hear about your middle one. Hope things improve for the eldest.

Regards,
ganjoa

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
Thank you for the response. But “let him go?!” He’s active and healthy- he just spent an hour chasing around my nephew’s dog, a lab. My 10 pound bodyguard going after a dog 7 times his size. It’s just the eating issue...

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Thanks for that. He had a checkup and visit to get caught up on all his shots in May, and the vet said his teeth were fine. But I’ve wondered about that too. I’ll have them check (and I’m taking to a different vet).

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

I don’t like hearing that, about yours getting picky about eating when it was their time ☹️😳, but thank you for the baby food suggestion! Thanks! And rip for your babies ❤️❤️❤️

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
a reply to: Mandroid7

Thanks for that. He had a checkup and visit to get caught up on all his shots in May, and the vet said his teeth were fine. But I’ve wondered about that too. I’ll have them check (and I’m taking to a different vet).

In response to that post , all pets need a good teeth cleaning every now and then.
Infection can set up and they will have the same symptoms as you stated.
They have pain and don't want to eat during the period of the pain.
Just went through this with my 11 year old Maine Coon cat.
Hiding , not coming out , not eating right .....
After teeth cleaning ?
Back to the same old , same old.
What upsets me ?
Our usual vet that does the yearly visits , did not catch it.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   
First of all, I’m so sorry to hear your dog is going through all this. I can’t even imagine how difficult it is for you to see him not wanting to eat. I agree with what others have said about his teeth. Maybe he has a sore tooth that is abscessed or infected. Even one tooth can cause havoc, I would think. I had to have a tooth with a rotten infected root pulled out. The pain before the pulling was unbelievable. I didn’t eat for like two days. So I imagine an animal would feel the same way.

I like the baby food idea too. It may be easier him being an older dog to eat something like baby food. Another thing maybe you could try is putting gravy on his food. We had to do that with our black lab, Shadow, when she was a puppy. We got her from a shelter, and she wouldn’t eat anything until my Mom started putting gravy on top of the food. Then she gobbled it right up. As I recall, I think my Mom may have added some mashed potatoes too, and Shadow loved that. Shadow lived to be 14, so she had a good long life. Soft easy to eat foods may be the best thing.

And it sounds like you need to talk to a different vet too, get a second opinion. I hope they can find out what’s going on and get your dog back to eating. Dogs are more than pets. They are our siblings/children/grandchildren, and are precious.

posted on Sep, 26 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I just had this happen with my 5 year old German shepherd husky mix starting this year from Feb-July. He just got picker and picker. I tried every different food mixesI could think of including straight BACON! The Vet did a test and said his calcium levels were high. She said she thought it would make them feel sick to their stomach when they ate. I tried to save him for all those months and I couldn't. Gibson was a good boy and I will always miss him. I got to a point where I couldn't let the deterioration continue and had to let him go.

i hope things can end better for you, but it seems dire. I so so sorry.

edit on 26-9-2020 by Sacredfox because: Spelling/Grammer was always my worst subject. Oops.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I use a splash of low sodium chicken broth on my dog's grub when they aren't eating regularly, it came recommended from my sister in law who is a vet (the animal kind, not the Vietnam kind).

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Don’t underestimate the effects a tic can have.
A vet diagnosed one with a liver problem which cleared up with
a few Ayurvedics. She was weak in the rear legs, breathing was labored, and no appetite.
One hit of Indian ginseng set her straight overnight.
A few days later I found a Ixodes scapularis (black legged tic) behind her ear.
The saliva from these monsters paralyzes breathing and rear legs.

Please check PMs

# 1163

edit on 27-9-2020 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Read again, please!🐕

"Let him go"...meant as long as he's healthy, awake, age be damned...and the way we are too about foods throughout our own lives...just let him run n be happy. We did.

16 yr old was home...blind, deaf, arthritic...had coney dogs the day he passed... out the window at the A&W drive-in.(America)!

He left a day later...in our arms...after 16 yrs...and broken hearted as I still am...we...("let him go..and be...at home") till...

Hey, Kg? God bless you both!😎✌️🐕

"Junior"-now-16 months
edit on 27-9-2020 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join