It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with dog feeding issues please!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl
Never feed dogs chocolate, it will kill them. Also don't feed them raw meat or wheat products. Blueberries are poisonous to dogs. Hope this is of some use.

posted on Sep, 27 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Older animal?
Infant Baby Meats. Found over in the kiddo section of most stores. It's not cheap but it's easier for them to eat an digest.
Use it as a stop-gap till you get to the Vet. It comes in tiny jars, but worth it if you can get some nutrition into them. I've found older animals "may" have reduced smelling, so warming up the baby meats in hot tap water in the jar really helps!!

Pedialyte
Dogs can have it an helps when they have "something" but you're not sure what it is yet.

Pet foods are generally pretty horrible, only needing to prove they won't kill a animal to get FDA approval, or USDA I forget, but either way it's a miracle our critters live as long as they do eating it. As our animals get older they pretty much have the same issues as a human, so it helps to think of it that way. Softer foods, extra supplements ect get necessary.

If illness is drastic go to Tractor supply or your Vet's to pick up a large syringe to do forced feeding. Sometimes you gotta do what's best for them regardless of how unpleasant.
The trick to it is blowing on their face to get them to swallow. Plus holding their heads to not get any food down their windpipe.

Hoping your Pup gets better soon!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Dunno what happened with your best bud but something similar with my Vizsla did and it turned out to be some sorta gum sarcoma. Everything you’ve described was present with DG.

Had him for 13 years — from undergrad till I was just past 30. Miss him everyday 3+ years on. Glad he was by your side for 15 years (may still be?) and hope the connection lasts till you’re taking a dirt nap.

Great first thread 🧵
edit on 25-11-2020 by Cravens because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Okay, so what I am going to suggest to you may seem weird, but it does work. I will tell you right up front, it is not easy with most.

First, Parvo is usually a puppy disease, and while adults can get it, it is very rare and easily determined with a blood test. So, you should be able to rule this out pretty quickly. Oh, and if you don't trust your vet...GET ANOTHER VET...NOW! (I trust our vet more than I do my own physician!! No kidding either!)

Now, on to the main part. You should probably try to feed your dogs some pumpkin. I know, it sounds weird, but it works. Many dogs wont like it, and will turn their nose up at it, but when you can get them to eat it, it will help their tummy both calm down and reduce diarrhea. Pumpkin is also full of minerals and vitamins dogs (and many other critters need).

The first thing you're going to say to me is..."it's hard". The only answer I can give you is...try it with cows!! It's a LOT harder! Some animals love the stuff, but some won't eat it.

The pumpkin I'm talking about is the stuff in a can that you can buy at any grocery store. You can also try actual pieces of pumpkin, but unless they like it this is even harder.

Pumpkin will do a couple things. First, it will help their tummy, and second it will help clear out whatever it is in their digestive tract that is bothering them. A dog that won't eat is not well.

You may think this is some witchdoctor stuff, but it's not. It's old country medicine, and recommended by most country large animal Docs, and it works for dogs too. (You can look it up on the interwebz).

It will take some time, and it won't be easy, but it's a miraculous cure!

ETA - Oh, and it's okay to dress it up some, but don't do it with anything with fat in it (like chicken skin, etc). If you're going to feed rice and chicken, do it without the skin. Fat and oil are horror on digestive tract issues. (No cheese either).
edit on 11/25/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Get off the kibbles and bits and into a better chow [Blue Buffalo?] along with "soft" food. Our vet said that as they age the kidneys wear out. The soft food makes it easier for them to digest.

We also give our guys some snacks that have fat so to make their stools softer so they can go.

Kelly dog died of cancer at 12. Was a type I diabetic for last 4 years of life. I gave her a needle a day of insulin. Sam the cat is now at 16 years. Doing fine. He also gets soft food, filtered water and snacks daily.
edit on 11-4-2021 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Apr, 12 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Hey friend, thanks for the reply. I haven’t updated this thread because I just haven’t to been able to bring myself to.

Turned out that my main man was in stage 3 kidney disease. I hadn’t been feeding him kibble for about 8 months anyway. We gave him fluids under the skin every day and I fed him only chicken and kidney-approved vet approved veggies. I got to have him for 7-8 weeks after the diagnosis, but had to finally make that excruciating decision. I’m grateful that my vet here made the experience as good as it could be, considering- she gave him a relaxer first and then it was over quickly. I’m still crying daily amd it’s been a while. It’s hard to describe the thing we had for 15 years. That little guy lived for me. It was the biggest privilege to have him.

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Yea that really sucks. I am sorry.

Domestic animals are so much to us.

That's kind of what happened to my dog Kelly. I simply thought that after she ate a rabbit that she had stuck bones or whatever in her passageway and that they could cure her via surgery.

Na, it was a grapefruit size tumor in her urinary tract yet she was in great shape and thin. No bulge! Neighbor said she looked like a puppy.

Then bam. I had to made a decision at the Vets. It was a shock then and still today and she was put down in 2004. I buried her in my yard.

Sam, our current pet is going on 16 years. He seems fine but has days of dementia. Then snaps out of it. He gets hard and soft food and snacks daily as per vets instructions in 2014.

Blue Buffalo Adult Senior.

I wish you well as its just like a member of your family.
edit on 16-4-2021 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Apr, 16 2021 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Thank you, friend. I know what you mean about BAM having to make that decision at the vet. A year before this, my middle griffy got very sick one day, and at the vet she said he wouldn’t make it/there was nothing they could do unless I was able to drop $20K.

My best friend had a Wheaten Terrier who lived to be 19+! He was such an awesome dog- we called him an “8.” (reference to a movie) Anyway, the last year or two, he had dementia as well, and would have his good days and bad days too. Prayers for your Sam that he is with you, healthy and chuffy and happy for years to come! ❤️🙏🏻

top topics

<< 1   >>

join