It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science is Real Folks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The problem with science in today’s world is that it is bought and paid for by those that want their narrative told. Sciences is real, but the money and funding corrupts the outcome.

I see now that I was a bit hasty in my first response to your post. Sorry about that. I found a good example that seems to confirm your quite astute observation.

Acid rain: In_the_United_States

In 1981, the National Academy of Sciences was looking into research about the controversial issues regarding acid rain.[25] President Ronald Reagan did not place a huge attention on the issues of acid rain until his personal visit to Canada and confirmed that Canadian border suffered from the drifting pollution from smokestacks in Midwest of US. Reagan honored the agreement to Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau’s enforcement of anti-pollution regulation.[27] In 1982, US President Ronald Reagan commissioned William Nierenberg to serve on the National Science Board. Nierenberg selected scientists including Gene Likens to serve on a panel to draft a report on acid rain. In 1983, the panel of scientists came up with a draft report, which concluded that acid rain is a real problem and solutions should be sought. White House Office of Science and Technology Policy reviewed the draft report and sent Fred Singer’s suggestions of the report, which cast doubt on the cause of acid rain. The panelists revealed rejections against Singer's positions and submitted the report to Nierenberg in April. In May 1983, the House of Representatives voted against legislation that aimed to control sulfur emissions. There was a debate about whether Nierenberg delayed to release the report. Nierenberg himself denied the saying about his suppression of the report and explained that the withheld of the report after the House's vote was due to the fact that the report was not ready to be published.

In 1991, the US National Acid Precipitation Assessment Program (NAPAP) provided its first assessment of acid rain in the United States.

So Reagan didn't want to deal with acid rain, so Fred Singer (also a climate change denier) cast doubt on the science, which seemed to be why he was there, thus allowing Reagan the opportunity to kick the can down the road for someone else to deal with later.

There are many correlations of that example happening right now in the Trump Admin. Less, and not at all competent individuals in place to cast doubt on, and derail actual science based findings.

On an ideological level: The idea that deregulating every industry for the good of business allows corporations to own all the science and technology in such a way as to maximize profits; and long term damage to health and safety be damned, that's someone else's problem.

With no regulations, the harmed and damaged have no recourse. That sucks.

edit on 20-9-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Damn this is from 1985?

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Well the U.S. Navy did another satellite shoot down later. From a submarine, if I remember correctly.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Operation Burnt Frost
20 February 2008
from USS Lake Erie (CG-70), a Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Every time I try to figure out the whole quantum thing it always seems to go back to the double-slit experiment. The double slit experiment is about light (wave or photon?).

Back in the old days matter was made of molecules, which were made of atoms consisting of Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons. Light was something else, not matter.

So if Schrödinger's cat got into the lab and knocked the lamp over, and the light broke, then people wouldn't even get the idea that matter might not exist.

That's just a wild hypothesis I thought of.

edit on 20-9-2020 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Imagine you have a sealed container. In order to get stuff done, you need to move something inside. You can not just topple or shake the box to get it move as it is precise movement and needs to be controlled. You can not use seals, you need some magic happening. The box is too big to use simple magnets and they would interfere with other things if you made them bigger, also the stuff needs to be moved might be non magnetic, use your imagination.

In your post previous to this one, you wrote 'right out of "science fiction"'. So of course I thought of Dr. Who and his sonic screwdriver. I am aware of ultrasonic imaging because I've seen that done.

The question then was: can ultrasonic waves move items. The answer is yes. Then I watched a youtube video wherein this guy explained it. It looked to me like it would be easier with two multi-compact-speaker arrays rather than trying it with only one.

posted on Sep, 20 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   
But science says it's as if it's all a hologram with the projector ....as Hawking put it....at a great distance so how real is it really

posted on Sep, 21 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Quotes are from Stephen Hawking's final paper bursts the multiverse bubble with a Holographic Universe theory

For an idea to be considered scientifically sound, it needs to make predictions that are testable, so experiments can either prove or disprove it. Otherwise, science starts to sound a whole lot like religion – after all, the notion that God created everything in seven days is also elegant and answers all the questions about our existence, but is inherently untestable.

The Holographic Universe theory, proposed by Hawking is a modification to his 1983 theory called the Eternal Inflation Theory, whereby there is not one Universe, but rather a Multiverse with an ever increasing number of pocket universes, of which our universe is one.

As far as I know, his 1983 theory has not been tested, and his modification can not be tested until a new and improved gravity wave detector is put in orbit scheduled in 2034.

People going around saying the Universe is merely a hologram don't understand what the theory even is. They are pretending that because a smart guy thought of the idea that the idea itself must be true, taken with the same type of authority as say a divinely, infallible prophet for some hypothetical god of truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join