It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about why ATS is suffering - an Insider's Outside perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The problem is NOT the left and right dicotomy of ATS, nor of social media in general . The suggestion of this being the problem shows that someone is viewing this too personally.

Who am I to answer this? Well, I'm nobody really. I'm a long time member, but have been gone for a long time. ATS still has a special place in my heart, and perhaps I am lucky to not have hate it jaded.

We are talking about conspiracies here, and one of the biggest is the control structure that comes around Red and Blue. If we keep playing into this with all of our fears and concerns, then it will do nothing to bring people together. ATS knows that the solution is something above party boundaries, but it is simply clear that members with opinions are generally going to take a conversation back to those known points of Red versus Blue.

A real conspiracy theorist here would give some slack to both sides. It's a big issue, because we are controlled by politics. This is why it should be understood how people could get fired up, which should make you expect passionate reactions. If politics is a big issue for control, then one can do nothing but acknowledge the power of the media. You can argue against the media all that you want, but you are not paying it the respect that it is due. You need to understand that people are told that the problems are Red/Blue, and the only issues is their way, or the other way, or not that way. Some of these people are worried, and are listening to people who they think have their best interest at heart.

Those who believe in such conspiracies generally lead with a bit gentler tone. The conversation doesn't have to lead to someone being called an idiot for their beliefs. "Hey, I understand why you believe that, but what I have researched tells me that is a lie from the media complex". People respond much differently, when you acknowledge some of the lies that they have likely seen also. Why treat the other person with so much disdain, if you understand the control structure that they are in? Once you realize that you're attacking someone who hasn't put it all together as quickly as you, then you understand that there is quite a bit of headroom for decency in conversation.

One of the problems comes from people not remembering that most people are searching for the truth. There are those who will do nothing but argue, and create false drama. Those shills are easily seen, if the discussion can be kept rational. The people who deny that media would ever lie ........ that kind of stuff is visible to those who know. The people who are unwilling to open their eyes at all are almost as bad as those who spread lies intentionally, but the intention is completely different. Many people do not want to live in a world where they are uncovering lies against themselves. It brings paranoia out in many, and it should not be forgotten when discussing problems of a forum on the whole.

So look, you're going to have people who make it about a singular issue. However, it's only the big issue to them. The board just needs to understand how to make sure that each of these individual issues are met (when possible). No individual person's priority should stop someone else from having an opinion. No one person's priority or opinion should ever be a direct physical or emotional threat against someone.

It sounds like the last thread (that was closed on Sept 6 circa), pointed to the fact that he feels political divisiveness. We should read that post again, and see what can be pulled from the emotions shown there. Perhaps a section of the forum where we try to refrain from Red and Blue. The conspiracy section has a Gray Area, and perhaps the Politics needs a Grey Area, where the focus is on trying to discuss topics constructively rather than division upon ideals. There are some great truths to be discovered when evaluating the moderate beliefs of a country, as well as a conspiracy forum.

Remember that THEY want to keep us divided, so even suggesting that our personal division is the problem is kind of playing into their agenda. I personally see the problem in social media, and I distance myself from those who use divisive tactics. It's not the best, but it guards my heart the strongest. ATS will never be a place where everyone can get protected. Oh, poor baby you got your feelings hurt... I'm sorry, but it's going to happen, because there are people with all kinds of opinions, and we can't simply stop everybody because you're upset. That's right, part of the solution is that ATS needs to wear big boy pants, if they want to talk about big boy topics. You can reread that with gender-neutral pronouns if you wish, because general colloquialisms are not used to attack or infringe upon anyone's rights. If you were a good friend of mine, then I would try to respect your wishes .... but dudes and man and guy and stuff just comes out in conversation. I think that falls into respecting people who are trying, and be a little tolerant when they fail.

Respect and tolerance are two main issues, and BLM signifies that. Now, I'm not making this political about BLM, so again put those big boy pants on. We can talk about some sensitive topics, without getting butthurt. Otherwise, why have the conversation on ATS. One of the biggest arguments around Black Lives Matter, is the response of "All Lives Matter". I'm not here to argue one side or the other. I think it's ridiculous. This is where intention and tact play a part. If you go to a BLM rally, and you intend to upset them by saying "All Lives Matter", then you are creating a problem. I fully understand how saying that term should not upset anyone. You can make that argument elsewhere, at another time.

When you stand in BLM face, and yell "All Lives Matter", then you have decided to be inflammatory. You have likely seen people be upset at that term, and you don't understand it. You don't understand it so much, that you want to go yell it to their faces. That is beyond comprehension to me. If you think something is hateful, then why incite more hate? Violence is never the answer. Hatred is never the answer. To me, this just shows how people think that simply because they feel their actions are just, that it allows them to act without tolerance or respect of other's viewpoints. This is all context and presentation. The same thing can be said in a different tone of voice, in a different location, or to different people and have different results.

Part of the problem with ATS is outrage culture. I am not sure how much it has crept into this forum, as I've been gone .... but it has swept into the social networks like Michael Phelps into a head shop. Just because someone is upset at something, does not mean that they can treat others badly. The idea of protected classes is part of the problem. Again, I don't know how much of a problem it is for ATS, but that's where you get my outsider's perspective ... because I get to assume that that is part of the problem without pointing fingers.

And yes, reverse racism is still racism. Not sure if that needs to be said on a conspiracy forum, but treating any race differently than another because of skin color is just wrong. We could argue power structure, but then do you really know the power structure? Part of the conspiracy world is knowing how much that you don't know. Those who don't know are still open to learn.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   
All lives do matter.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
They will not stop until any dissenting voices or opinion are snuffed out.

All lives matter.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It's not about dissent, or even ALM.. lol ...
Those are simply just another of the hot button topics.
The question is how can ATS get past those divisive topics?

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Fantastic post my friend.
Addressing the division is truly an uphill battle, especially at this time of this year. Politics is the driver. The forums are the vehicles and group-think is the passenger. Unfortunately there is no way to instill restraint on anyone but yourself.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This IS a conspiracy site, and a conspiracy is the only place where BLM signifies respect and tolerance.

You honestly think they treat black officers with respect?

How about where BLM made the white prowl with them bow down to

BLM respect black people so much they burn down their stuff.

Ever see BLM respects people dining out doors

Did you see BLM respect people who need emergency treatment at a hospital by blocking the entrance

BLM raises million of dollars and where did it go? Not toward respect and tolerance

When you say BLM stands for respect and to Tolerance, then you have decided to be inflammatory. Because in the real world, they are anything but...

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ThreeDeuce

Taking the chance of upsetting someone with an opinion is the only way to learn and grow as an individual. If they disagree and can provide a valid argument about why your opinion is wrong then you should grow. If they cannot they should grow.

It seems that irrationality is being upheld in the political environment.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
All lives do matter.

they do but this protest is not about you...its about black lives

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
There is no problem with offending anyone. It is when those who are offended use it as an excuse to disrespect and ignore other codes of conduct. Irrationality is indeed being used to sow division.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

These are getting really repetitive and not the slightest bit constructive.

I've not seen any of these "this is why your site is dying" threads with a new idea or constructive criticism since the original announcement by SO.

I know people like to vent. Vent in one of the dozens of existing "ats sucks now" threads.

All new ones posted from now on will be closed.

CLOSED

top topics

join