It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Halloween be cancelled due to cultural appropriation and COVID 19

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   
To hell with it.
I'm dressing up as an African American, gay, Trump.

If I survive the night, I will have caused 1000's of heads to explode.

(no, not really, just at my limit.)

edit on 14-9-2020 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
To hell with it.
I'm dressing up as an African American, gay, Trump.

If I survive the night, I will have caused 1000's of heads to explode.

(no, not really, just at my limit.)

It would surely trigger a hell of a riot, but it'd be worth it. Any interest in an African American, gay, transgender Pence wing girl? I may be available.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Lol every year on 6. January, at least one kid in most German town blackfaces to be one of the three kings that visited baby Jesus.

It's true, google "sternensinger". Also yellow and redface sometimes.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

The average of 24 and 62 is about 40. Well 43 to be exact.

And I think that you are reading info on the cdc link wrong. All deaths involving covid 19 is at 179K.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
City or county of LA, I’m forgetting which right now, banned Halloween roughly 2 weeks ago. The following day they retracted the ban and said it was only a suggestion that no one partakes in Halloween, most likely due to people here not liking that.

Wild thing is I’ve been teasing my (Mexican) mother in law, who is very gullible, for the past few months saying things such as ‘they banned cinco de Mayo!‘ and ‘now they banned July 4th!’ She didn’t believe me when I told her about Halloween, naturally

edit on 14-9-2020 by haaat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

That's awesome.
We don't do that in U.S. that I know of
We do Christmas caroling before Christmas.
The church that I grew up in combined caroling with what we called ingathering for charity, mostly for disaster relief.

I knew this girl who was Methodist when I was in High School. I went trick or treating for UNICEF with her one Halloween. That was just a one night thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Is it ironic that you mention cultural appropriation and Halloween is one of the most appropriated dates in history?

Just dress as a cave man and club anyone wearing clothes.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Halloween is the eve before " All Hallows Day " or " All Saints Day " It's part of The Christian Calendar.

To cancel it would be like cancelling Christmas Eve. So the answer is no.

What you can cancel is the stupid dressing up and kids terrorising people for " treats "

That's the church genuinely stealing an ancient date that was seemingly celebrated world wide. Especially in the British Isles and Northern France.

That said we used to celebrate harvest in primary school too, we used to call it blackberry week. If I remember correctly a week or 2 before Halloween.

Tbh Christianity reappropriated most important dates including Hallowsmas/hallowtide and yuletide/Christmas...

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

If you want to make a compqrement to the flu, you need to take the excluded number. You compare apples with oranges.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Everyone should just go as a plague doctor. I'm not going to post the image here again...but...it's not what you're expecting.

Oh my...LOL. A simple explanation for anyone who questions the costume should suffice, right?

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

originally posted by: dug88

Everyone should just go as a plague doctor. I'm not going to post the image here again...but...it's not what you're expecting.

Oh my...LOL. A simple explanation for anyone who questions the costume should suffice, right?

Americans are far too knee-jerk to listen to a historical explanation for the purpose of that outfit. Someone would be beaten to death over it, I guarantee it. Narrow-minded arrogance is a harsh mistress we cannot seem to get rid of.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
And to think, in 2009 some argued Halloween should be cancelled because it was the supposed High Satanic holiday, that was causing people to be infested with demons of adultery and invert debauchery, and every year thousands of kids are being sacrificed to Beelzebub on that night.

Sigh ... the more things change, the more they stay the same.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I must of missed that. Joined too late or something.
Maybe it was the adult parties contributing to adultery rather than the trick or treating.

Long long ago, when I was a newlywed
this older woman took me aside and
showed me pictures that had been taken
at what she said was a Halloween party.

Some time later, I told my wife that I suspected
that those people may have been swingers.
She then told me that of course they were
that's why she took me there to introduce me to them.

Now I understand what Sylvia meant so many years before that when she called me a turtle.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Also thinking of South Africa, where Halloween (outside adult private fancy dress parties) was basically unknown, and going trick-or-treating was just spreading in some very liberal neighborhoods.

Halloween was very much a feature of the "Satanic-panic", which had it's peak a decade earlier, but enough Christians still believed it all to barrage the press with demands to ban it in SA, and also other strange campaigns, such as to change the name of Devil's Peak along Table Mountain. Some kids were even shot with paintball guns while knocking on doors. However, the anti-Halloween fervor was by no means limited to SA at the time. In fact our Satanic-panic was very much influenced if not derivative of some US evangelists, who in the Bush ("Dubya") years very much tried to throw their weight around in Africa. mnatheists.org...

So strange, at one point it my life religious fundamentalists wanted to ban everything that offended their sensibilities, and now a leftist outrage mob wants to ban everything that offends their sensibilities.

Yeah sometimes the very same things, for very different reasons.
Different masks - but similar faces: "We should get to decide what everybody else should be doing. Because we're so special ...".

edit on 15-9-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Halloween comes from the culture of the Scots.
The Scots count as "white", so I'm not sure they would be allowed "cultural appropriation" protection.

posted on Sep, 15 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

In fact our Satanic-panic was very much influenced if not derivative of some US evangelists, who in the Bush ("Dubya") years very much tried to throw their weight around in Africa.

I remember that. "Pass new laws" they demanded "death penalty for this, death penalty for that."

top topics

<< 1   >>

join