It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Halloween be cancelled due to cultural appropriation and COVID 19

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The liberals have made many costumes inappropriate. They call dressing up like any culture at all as something that is forbidden on campuses and in schools. Some high schoolers were punished at school for wearing their father's mariachi outfits as cultural appropriation a year ago. (their fathers are part of a mariachi band) So even dressing in your own historical cultural outfits are not acceptable. Wearing one's hair in any manner that is not typical for people of your own skin color is called inappropriate and cultural appropriation.

One never knows if ones child will be singled out for an inappropriate costume and punished at their school. Even wearing a superhero costume the child must be of the same skin color as the superhero or princess in the last movie or the child may be punished.

The liberals have become so touchy about race and cultural identity and culture being only for ones own "race" and one's own "culture" that it has made finding a costume that the child might not be socially disgraced for close to impossible. For heaven sake, don't wear a witch costume or you will insult the wiccans!

My daughter's school has told children in the past to only dress as historical or literary figures, which are now forbidden because even George Washington is inappropriate because he represents slavery.

So should we not put costume parties in the dust pan of history as insensitive, mean, and inappropriate?

In this age of COVID 19 should we send children around door to door to infect people with COVID 19? I am wondering how to handle the candy issue. Putting out a bowl means it all disappears with the first few children and later children get nothing. As a senior who loves to pass out Halloween candy, I am now left with a problem. I don't want to be exposed to that many people, but I do enjoy passing out candy to children.

I love their costumes and don't care if a white child dresses in a Mulan outfit, or a black child dresses as Snow White, or an Asian child dresses as Superman. But liberals really, really care and shame these children and even punish them at schools for it. Should we not spare these children the embarrassment and harassment of being told they are being racist or inappropriate in their choice of costume?

In order to end all culturally and racially and historically inappropriate costumes I think it best for all if we cancel Halloween and send it to the dustpan of politically incorrect history.

In order to protect the public from COVID 19 this year and perhaps next year I think it best for all if communities/states forbid Halloween parties and cancel trick or treating.

With both issues now in play maybe it is time to officially cancel Halloween to spare the hurt feelings of those who accidentally wear politically incorrect costumes and stop the spreading of germs not just for COVID but in the middle of flu season. I say this with a sad heart, but for the good of all.

edit on 9/14/20 by The2Billies because: grammar

(post by AugustusMasonicus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Halloween isn't a problem because everybody wears a mask anyway 😎

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I've already got the world's scariest costume.
I'm going to walk around without a mask and scare the hell out of people.

But seriously I'm just tired of hearing about people's fragile little feelings.

Nut up already

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Everyone should just go as a plague doctor. I'm not going to post the image here again...but...it's not what you're expecting.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I've already got the world's scariest costume.
I'm going to walk around without a mask and scare the hell out of people.

But seriously I'm just tired of hearing about people's fragile little feelings.

Nut up already

I actually agree with you, but... I don't agree when children are sent home from school or suspended from school like the boys wearing their father's band costumes. That crosses the line and political correctness caused it. It tells children they must stick to their own race/culture in dress/hair/style and never pretend (put themselves in the shoes of) another race/culture (through pretending) or they are mean and racist, which is not true.

I'd love to be able to go back to the day when we celebrated and appreciated other culture's freely. I think that is much more likely to bring people together than declaring strict separation by race and culture when it comes to what one can wear or do. It is also in my opinion much more inclusive than forbidding enjoying the fashion or positive attributes of another race/culture through imitation, as politically incorrect and racist.

Today a white child dressed in a Black Panther costume is likely to get suspended, get beat up, rather than being seen as admiring the Black Panther superhero - and that is injustice and encourages racism rather than ending it. Things in the US like this are far more than just telling the child to "nut up", they are a sign of what political correctness is really doing by trying to end hurt feelings, they are increasing and creating hardened feelings.

That is reason enough to end Halloween costume parties. They force people to think deeply about staying within the boundaries of their race and culture and make people focus on that in order to "not offend" or not be politically incorrect - thus actually creating the racism it pretends to be ending by forcing people to stay within the boundaries of their skin color and nationality. Which is STUPID because skin color is caused by levels of a hormone in one's body, everyone has the hormone, some just have higher levels and some lower levels, and this should not dictate how one can dress or if one can celebrate and imitate people with different hormone levels. But it does in the US and so this racist practice of forcing people into a racial mold in their choice of costume should end, if people can't see the harm that is done.

edit on 9/14/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

No. Do we cancel Halloween because of the flu? No. So we certainly shouldn’t cancel it for a virus that is even less deadly.

edit on 14-9-2020 by KansasGirl because: So/do

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Hell no. You cannot cancel Halloween. It may possibly be the only day of year we reveal our true selves.

" He who makes a beast of himself relieves himself the pain of being a man."
-Hunter S. Thompson

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

No. Do we cancel Halloween because of the flu? No. So we certainly shouldn’t cancel it for a virus that is even less deadly.

Gov. Whitmer cancelled the purchase of garden supplies because of COVID 19.

NYC cancelled the opening of restaurants for indoor dining.

Should we cancel indoor Halloween parties because of COVID 19?

I think so as long as around the nation restaurants are not allowed to open for indoor dining, gyms are kept closed (which has really hurt me as I need it for physical therapy reasons).

But if you call your Halloween party a BLM protest, then it is ok because we all know that BLM protests are COVID free zones.

Seriously, as long as states are forbidding gatherings they should forbid Halloween parties.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Hell no. You cannot cancel Halloween. It may possibly be the only day of year we reveal our true selves.

" He who makes a beast of himself relieves himself the pain of being a man."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Ok, but remember to keep your costume racially appropriate to your race, and don't wear anything that might be considered from another culture that is not your own. Keep your race and culture in mind, in the forefront of your mind, when choosing a costume or you may be doxed, socially bullied, suspended from school, or otherwise deemed a terrible and thoughtless racist. So stay within your racial and cultural boundaries when selecting a costume, that is the politically correct thing to do to not get yourself in trouble.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I have nothing against trans persons, but why aren't they appropriating another's sex?

I dressed as Cleopatra last year, nobody hassled me thankfullly.

If one admires something from a different culture and seeks to emulate it, that is a compliment, is it not?

It's so confusing all these rules that contradict one another.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Halloween is the eve before " All Hallows Day " or " All Saints Day " It's part of The Christian Calendar.

To cancel it would be like cancelling Christmas Eve. So the answer is no.

What you can cancel is the stupid dressing up and kids terrorising people for " treats "

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Negative. The flu kills on average some 40k people a year. Covid has killed almost 200k people so far.

Covid is 3-5 times more deadly than the flu.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Halloween is the eve before " All Hallows Day " or " All Saints Day " It's part of The Christian Calendar.

To cancel it would be like cancelling Christmas Eve. So the answer is no.

What you can cancel is the stupid dressing up and kids terrorising people for " treats "

No need to cancel "All Saints Day"

Just as you suggest Halloween. They are not one in the same.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
How much Halloween does one nation need? Spent the past few months wearing mask, scary stories and dark spirits playing tricks in the background.

As for the kids having a big costume street party and some candy, sounds good.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Negative. The flu kills on average some 40k people a year. Covid has killed almost 200k people so far.

Covid is 3-5 times more deadly than the flu.

Wrong. The flu kills between 24-62k people a year. Covid deaths with flu excluded is around 80k.

The 200k number includes all cases where Covid was tested positive and even that is over-exaggerated by you because it's 179k for death number including pneumonia and flu.

IF you make such a broad statement, at least be honest.

sources
www.cdc.gov...
www.cdc.gov...

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wear black face if you want to... It's not illegal..'Technically' 😉😉

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My 12 and 11 year olds are considering dressing up like (clothed) Viking Beserkers, and I'm considering it, so long as they keep it accurate and chase people while screaming, chanting and hollering gibberish at them.

The first Karen to bitch would regret it.

It's marginally cooler than their other idea -- Steampunk Pirates.

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Cripes...I hate to think about the uproar over WuHan / Valentine's Day.

We had costume parades in every class, home baked sweets not even made anymore, and full size candy bars that were twice the size they are now, no "snack" size B.S.

In 2021 I could imagine social media costume showings and kids gathering in their yards for the drone candy showers.

Heck no Halloween shouldn't be canceled. It's a day of imaginary make believe, and social justice warriors have plenty of experience with that...they will not cancel their furry rallies, larping sessions, living memes and transvestite library readings!!

posted on Sep, 14 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

When I was 6 I used black face for the five-o'clock shadow when I dressed as a Depression Era hobo. I was culturally sensitive though. I skipped the houses owned by the homeless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join