It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Fishing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If you're going fishing, Big Brother will be watching you... Worse, you are going to have to pay for your own monitoring device. Supposedly this program derives from NOAA Fisheries to protect wildlife, in reality small commercial and recreational fishermen are being forced to wear ankle bracelets, and pay for their own tracking devices...

The Associated Press
March 14, 2005
NEWPORT, Ore. (AP) — There's a small black box wired onto Mark Chase's trawler, the Norma M. Once an hour, it tells the government where the boat is. ...
Chase had to pay $1,300 up front for the satellite monitoring system, and an additional $20 a month, even though he has done nothing to make anyone suspicious.
Owners of 300 other West Coast boats were required to install the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's "vessel monitoring system" in 2003. ...

Salmon trawlers, for example, only pull in the occasional yellow-eye or canary rockfish, and they're allowed to set hooks in waters closed to groundfishermen.
"It's an ankle bracelet," Kevin Bastien, a Newport salmon fisherman. "How would you like it if for no reason you had to have an ankle bracelet on? We didn't cause this problem.

Only limited-entry groundfishermen are required to have the monitoring system on board, but the expansion could include all "open access" fishermen, or those with a federal permit who travel outside state waters.

Peter Huhtala is senior policy director for the Pacific Marine Conservation Council, a non-profit group that advocates for sustainable fisheries.

"I can understand the irritation from fishermen's point of view about having this big brother box on your boat."...

Since when does NOAA give a rat's tail about fish populations? Ankle Bracelets and tracking systems? Is this really a sign of conservation from the absolutely horrifying enviornmental policies of the Federal Governement under neocon control, or is this another creepy invasion of privacy testing our tolerance of a growing regimist philosophy?
I'd use that bracelet for bait.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Can you please post the link to the story.

NOAA has been doing all kids of things since their creation. In addition to areas of prcatice in Weather, Ocean, Satellites, Climate, and Charting/Navigation here are some of the things they are responsible for:

www.noaa.org...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fisheries
NOAA Fisheries is dedicated to protecting and preserving the nation's living marine resources through scientific research, fisheries management, enforcement and habitat conservation. NOAA Fisheries is a leading voice for commercial and recreational fisheries and continues to focus its efforts on sustaining marine resources.

Research
NOAA Research, conducted primarily through the NOAA Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research, drives the NOAA environmental products and services that protect life and property and promote sustainable economic growth.

Coasts
NOAA promotes sustainable economic development, jobs and prosperity along the nation's coasts through: (see website) www.noaa.org...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take a look at the site, they have been involved in many ways with our governments and wildlife.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I have a friend who was fishing off the coast of Florida USA in 1998, and came upon a large floating bale of marijuanna. He then took it onboard, fished awhile longer. When he went back to port he then called the DEA and they came and retreived the large bale. He was taken by the DEA people to an office to do a mass amount of paperwork, where they showed him a satalite video of the bale, and himself coming upon it. All was seen.......it was all set up in hopes to bust someone. Since he was the law abiding type, they shared the video with him and told him about it. He was VERY glad he chose to call authorities!!!!! He had thought he hit the marijuanna lottery at first, and thought of all the fun he and his friends would now have. For SOME reason he decided against this and called the DEA once he was back in in port.

Thank heavens he followed his heart in the matter, or he would have been the one busted!
This story has ALWAYS frightened me! I know I would have been dancin all over the place! I would have been smoking some of it SOON after finding it.
Once I learned this, I am now affraid of any bag dropped on the street. BEWARE of anything just 'laying' there....or floating.....the satelites can SEE you!

BIG BROTHER is not only watching, but TRYING to set us up for a big fall.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

BIG BROTHER is not only watching, but TRYING to set us up for a big fall.

Welcome to the New World Order. Walk softly and carry a big stick!

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Since when does NOAA give a rat's tail about fish populations?

As infinite8, posted, NOAA and its predecessor, organization the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries has been involved with fisheries management since 1871.

In fact, twitchy, were you aware that Rachel Carson was an employee of the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries? (Do you even know who she is?)

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
that whole big brother watching me is really scarry

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
So what is the difference between having an onboard monitor to ensure that you don't fish in protected areas and having a patrol boat out there doing the same thing?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Man, that weed bale story is scary. I know I would still be high off of that.

That kind of thing does make you think twice about keeping some "goodies" you find on the street. But on another note, isn't that real sneaky entrapment? I mean, putting a big bale of weed in water, then watching whoever's fishing from a SATELLITE in the hopes that they keep it! That's totally different from posing as a dealer on a street corner. What ever happened to finders keepers?

Just get used to hearing these types of stories, people. We are inside the NWO. Think about how many times you are on camera...at a street light, in a store, at your job maybe...pretty wild.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
So what is the difference between having an onboard monitor to ensure that you don't fish in protected areas and having a patrol boat out there doing the same thing?

LOL Do I really need to answer that question howard? Can you say Ankle Bracelet? The difference is that these Fishermen were innocent until proven guilty, now they are guilty and on probation, and having to buy and pay to maintain their own monitoring devices. Surely even you can see the harm inherent here. They are making people wear ankle bracelets to go fishing for crying out loud. How far is it going to go before even you start seeing the patterns here? You going to wear an ankle bracelet to make sure you aren't buying cigarettes, or watching illegal cable, or will this sort of thing be a matter of course for you?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

What you fail to understand, twitchy, is that fishing is a highly regulated activity. This is not an "Ankle Bracelet."

This is a situation where there are certain requirements and restrictions put on those wishing to pursue a specific activity, namely fishing in certain waters under federal jurisdiction.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by HowardRoark]

top topics

join