It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC considers dropping Rule Britannia from last night of the Proms.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ForteanOrg

It'll take 40 years to shake off the disaster of our EU membership.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yeah, Elgar is great! So is Mozart, Wagner, or Dvorak, of course. Just saying. And Bach, Verdi, Vivaldi, Bizet, Bleriot etc. etc. etc.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Nah, such nonsense. You got what you wanted, nothing there to stop you now. Simple enough: close the borders (as you planned to do), no more immigration, do you own filthy jobs clean the behinds of your elderly yourself - and make Britain Great Again. Great Britain, nudge nudge, wink wink

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Wagner is actually the most played composer at the Proms. Which is good for me as he's my fave.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

Nah, such nonsense. You got what you wanted, nothing there to stop you now. Simple enough: close the borders (as you planned to do), no more immigration, do you own filthy jobs clean the behinds of your elderly yourself - and make Britain Great Again. Great Britain, nudge nudge, wink wink

I think we will turn into England before too long, mate, which suits me.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

Dunno, Sprocket - as you know from observation by now: old unions are hard to break .

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Hopefully no more wars with our neighbours and no more kings.

link   

I think some unions have outlived their usefulness though.

link   
a reply to: subfab

For the way some puppet masters want us to accept the OWO (one world order) in their version. Most know as NWO (new world order), often connected to a dystopian, individuality and free will surpressing reality.

For that they need to take away cultures and all religions to have their version of religion installed. To worship the elite. We could have a OWO that works with cultures preserved and we really need to get accustomed to this idea. With all the resources and mental energy spent on killing ourselves, we need to get a grip and our stuff together quick.

Not because of climate warming but the kind of power distribution we have today.

I never make friends when I say that but we need to stick together as humanity and overcome the borders without radically removing culture and local tradition.

What has happened to embrace difference? It has no room in that version of a one world order.

Add: What I want to say is sooner or later, as humanity, we will need to stop fighting each other. Establish a safe and fair way to regulate a one world government. I am not claiming to have the solution but I see this is the only way longterm.

The current powers want their own version of that.
edit on 23.8.2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Who said that? Enjoy away

Thank you, I shall.

It's a public forum, that gives me the right to express my thought just as much as the OP

I either didn't explain myself very well or you mistook me.

Of course you can express your thoughts and opinions here on ATS and anywhere else you chose to, I would never seek to deny you or anyone else that right.....I sincerely hope I don't come across as if I do.

I meant you seem to be advocating not playing Rule Britannia and The Last Night of The Proms on some sort of politically correct motivated reason.
If it's simply because you think its a crap piece of music then that is up to you bit its pretty self-evident that lots of people do enjoy listening to it and I don't see why they should be denied that.

If it's sheet music from Elgar then totally, burn it, absolutely awful

Censorship based on personal opinion?

Maybe I missed some sort of humourous intent there?

what are you talking about? How the hell do you know if I have fun or not?

I'm sure you do.....but you give the impression some sort of sense of superiority over people enjoying The Last Night of The Proms and I simply suggesting that maybe you should give it a go, you never know you might enjoy it?

.......you have this fantastic notion that you think you know people from simple replies.

# me, not at all.
But I can only formulate opinions and responses in accordance with what people type and post.
My take on people is simply that, my take on people based on their posts......I don't doubt for one minute that I'm pretty wide of the mark quite a lot.....exactly the same as I don't doubt people get the wrong impression of me at times.

Psychology isn't your strong point,.....

I've never thought for one minute it is.

..... cease and desist immediately.

No.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Hopefully no more wars with our neighbours and no more kings.

The next war will be with France over Fishing Grounds.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

We wouldn't even need those new carriers to protect our waters, so I doubt it'll be much of a war.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The next war will be with France over Fishing Grounds.

Not sure what it'll be over but bearing in mind England - Britain since The Union - and France have been at war with each other over 30 times since 1066 I tihnk it's a pretty good bet that if we do go to war with another European country it'll be France!

Let's hope it never comes to that.

Personally I don't want to see a complete break up of The Union.
Increased devolved power to all the regions within some sort of Federal framework appeals to me.

(post by Zcustosmorum removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Wow....wish I'd seen what you wrote before it was removed.
Can't think of anything I wrote that would have got you so wound up?

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

To be clear this changevis being driven by a conductor ftom Finland, and is supported by an 'ethnic minority' orchestra - billed on Wikipedia as "British" and has previously appeared at the Proms in 2017, despite, presumably, the orchestra leader feeling as "invisible with my people and our history" and "mortified" by the playing of Rule Britania then as she apparently does now.

The BBC agree, particularly as there will be few there to whole heartedly sing along and wave flages of many countries as in previous years due to Covid-19.

Agood time to change, when body is looking.

So, in the same spirit no Rule Britania, no Licence Fee - afterall the BBC cant make programs they cant need as much money.

Only just really.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

Pretty much nailed it

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I don't know how I should feel as an American because it's none of my business, but it sounds like total BS for your "government" to stab you in the back like that.

posted on Aug, 23 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Rekrul

That's how I feel too, though to be fair, it's more the lefty opposition types doing the back stabbing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join