It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musk's Mysterious Neuralink Chip Could Make You Hear Things That Were Impossible to Hear Before

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Based on the report, hackers could exploit the tech, read and steal thoughts and memories, and delete your skills, which could be easily mistaken for a Black Mirror episode--only that it could happen in real life.

A few of the details that the tech CEO has shared via social media is the chip's ability to cure depression, change the wearer's mood, hear things they weren't able to hear before, and even cure mobility problems, which could be helpful for people who have paralysis due to injured spines.

But while BCIs, specifically the Neuralink's chip, appears to be a great answer to many problems with our bodies, security experts are worried.
Elon Musk's Neuralink Chip Could Lead to a 'Black Mirror' Episode in Real Life: Experts Warn It Could be Hacked

Being able to read the thoughts or memories of a political leader, or a business executive, could be a huge coup for intelligence agencies trying to understand rival states, or for criminals looking to steal commercial secrets or for blackmail. There's a military angle too; the US is already looking at BCIs as a way of controlling fleets of drones or cyber defences far more effectively than is now possible – being able to hack into those systems would create a huge advantage on the battlefield.

The consequences of an attack or data breach from a BCI could be an order of magnitude worse than other systems: leaked email logs are one thing, leaked thought logs are another. Similarly, the risks of ransomware become far greater if it's targeted at BCIs rather than corporate systems; making it impossible to use a PC or a server is one thing; locking up the connection between someone's brain and the wider world could be far worse.

BCIs could ultimately become an authentication mechanism in their own right: our patterns of brain activity are so unique they could ultimately be used as a way of permitting access to sensitive systems, which could make it worthwhile to try to copy them. "Attempts to trick such a biometric will likely be very difficult, because brainwaves are not visible (like other biometrics like a fingerprint, iris, etc.) and cannot be replicated by another person... without direct access to the person and their brain to record the person," researchers at Israel's Ben-Gurion University of the Negev wrote in a recent paper.
Soon, your brain will be connected to a computer. Can we stop hackers breaking in?

Did a little looking around this morning.

Looks like others have the same fears.

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Jimy718

While that 'channel' could be used to eventually kill me; at first I just wouldn't feel very good. Loss of energy as my heart wasn't properly synchronized, then over a rather long and unpleasant period I would have a heart attack (again) and probably not recover.

In Homeland they increased his heart rate a good bit and it didn't turn out very well.

Sounds like you guys were ahead of your time.

edit on 9-8-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: Jimy718

While that 'channel' could be used to eventually kill me; at first I just wouldn't feel very good. Loss of energy as my heart wasn't properly synchronized, then over a rather long and unpleasant period I would have a heart attack (again) and probably not recover.

In Homeland they increased his heart rate a good bit and it didn't turn out very well.

Sounds like you guys were ahead of your time.

Lol, that's almost funny. My device, when it detects an arrhythmia, might increase my heart rate to as much as 200bpm, to correct the condition. Of course it would also allow my heart to return to normal (about 60bpm resting).

"Ahead of our time?" Nah, just the current 10yo tech. There is only one person that can "hack" my device, but, it's not really hacking since that person is my Electrophysiologist, and monitoring/adjusting this thing is their job.

Again, it requires the right equipment, knowledge, and most importantly access. That access right now is probably easy, at least over night since the interface is next to my bed. The rest of the time; there is NO access...AIR GAP!

I heard a real good one on TV last night, it went something like this; "Sam! Sam, I've found them. They turned the camera back on, and I got the GPS from it. But, that's not the problem, someone else has it too."

Would someone PLEASE; show me in the 'API' for any GPS device where it exposes any kind of log!!!!

<< 1  2  3   >>

join