It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are your local schools opening or going virtual?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm just curious.
Our schools have not decided yet. It's a little nerve wracking because parents just don't know what to expect and we are getting close.

I've heard from some others that their school are staying virtual and others fully opening.
This seems like some kind of failed social experiment.
Everyone is on edge here, parents, teachers and of course the kids too.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yes...

Parents have the option for either.
A kid that goes virtual can also play school sports which seems to contradict the virtual..

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
No.
So far the first quarter is at home online.

I can only assume it will stay that way till next year, or forever.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yes...

Parents have the option for either.
A kid that goes virtual can also play school sports which seems to contradict the virtual..

Some sports seem like they can practice social distancing, like track for example. Not so much with wresting.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

My kids ain’t going to be exposed!

Tackle that sum bitch jimmy!

I can hear it now....lol

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

So far high schools are virtual but middle and elementary are going rotate students every other week. Half the school attends one week physically while the other half stays home doing one week virtual, this way classes are only half full at all times.

Crazy if you ask me. Supposedly it can still change to all virtual.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

So far high schools are virtual but middle and elementary are going rotate students every other week. Half the school attends one week physically while the other half stays home doing one week virtual, this way classes are only half full at all times.

Crazy if you ask me. Supposedly it can still change to all virtual.

That half half schedule seems the worst.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
In the town I live in, they are giving parents a choice 1.) Physically go to school five days a week or 2.) Virtual classes five days a week. Parents have to turn in their surveys by 7/31 or it will be assumed that they want the physical option. School board is trying to discourage parents from option #2. There is no in between.

At least they have a choice. But if I were a parent, I’d be home schooling my kids. No way in hell I’d send them to a damn germ factory to get sick and pass it around.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD
Ours is a choice as well, most here are wanting face to face, while I’m in the minority of online virtual homeschool. The last thing we need is someones kid popping positive and requiring my whole family to quarantine and loose work, or others to lose work as well. Schools are definitely germ factories, every year I get sick from what my kids contract from other sick kids.

How many parents will actually follow the quarantine rules if they find out they have the virus, but need to still work and pay bills?

edit on 24-7-2020 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ours are still "up in the air"
Once , we were the hotspot of the state.
Since the middle of May , we have dropped a lot.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I'm just curious.
Our schools have not decided yet. It's a little nerve wracking because parents just don't know what to expect and we are getting close.

Something here; our governments have truly failed us. Making the wrong choices is one thing; keeping people completely in the dark because you don't want to be seen making the wrong decision is simply criminal.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Leaving your kids at home to virtually home school themselves....while both parents are at work; what could possibly go wrong.

Most families need to have both parents working just to maintain a middle class lifestyle.

This "new normal" will be anything but "normal"

I'm looking forward the the Xmas holidays. It will be epic...and will show the direction of the nation.

Our local high school will be split between being at school part time with a virtual option. My friend a HS Language arts teacher just handed in her resignation....not worth the risk to go back to teaching and she's just one of many.
edit on 24-7-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Half go on Monday and Tuesday, virtual learning the rest of the week, other half go on Thursday and Friday and virtual learn for the rest. Or complete virtual learning. Hate it. Hate it all.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

My kids are homeschooled, but for the rest of the locals, they just announced school will open entirely virtual with no schedule to change this. Lots of strife here over that announcement.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

A mix of full virtual and partial open depending on district and county decisions. The state is giving the option of partial, but most districts cannot afford the increase in overhead that entails.

a reply to: olaru12

When it comes to two parents working, I'm seeing more and more office jobs going full remote. It makes sense for a majority of functions in that case, then again businesses have to be willing to adapt to what their employees can do. If someone has kids in school with a virtual only option, they're going to lean on their job to provide a remote option as well, and if not available will decide to find another role elsewhere accordingly. I've seen companies that I would have never dreamed of going full remote actually pull the trigger on it.
edit on 7/24/20 by Hypntick because: Additional Reply

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Ours is online only starting August 13th. On September 8th the school will open to kids for in school classes if parents choose that or the child can continue online classes. We have to commit to the in school or virtual option by July 29th and you can’t change your mind for 9 weeks. Another tidbit they told us is if 1 student or staff test positive for covid then the school closes for 14 days and kids go back to online classes. I think it going to be one heck of a roller coaster.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

Another tidbit they told us is if 1 student or staff test positive for covid then the school closes for 14 days and kids go back to online classes. I think it going to be one heck of a roller coaster.

The chance of that is 100%

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I'm just curious.

I've heard from some others that their school are staying virtual and others fully opening.
This seems like some kind of failed social experiment.
Everyone is on edge here, parents, teachers and of course the kids too.

My town is two days a week, two days virtual, one day off.

I am not happy about it.

First, it make zero sense to me. Kids are practically immune to Covid so why the freakout about kids attending school. Regular flu is deadlier than Covid for kids.

Second, not sure how two working parent households are supposed to effectively manage home school and still keep their jobs.

Third, it is still not clear how keeping kids out of school is any safer. So parents that have to work are going to now send their kids to all manner of cobbled together day care and other options and then send them back to school. How is that any safer? At least with school open, there is consistent exposure / cleaning protocols that will likely be adhered to versus some kids spending two days a week at some random day care and then bringing those cooties back to the school.

But you know, the sky is falling. The deep state has accomplished their goal of freaking everyone out in their hail mary attempt to get Trump out of office.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The local schools are opening here based upon voting by families. Some kids will be distance learning which actually helps keep the number of students attending the brick and mortar schools safer since there will be less people. Overall it seems a great compromise.

About 20% of families have elected to keep their children home.

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Excellent synopsis of data demonstrating how crazy it is that schools are closing in Chicago.

7 Facts That Parents & Teachers Should Know

1) Out of the claimed 2,731 covid related deaths, exactly TWO were aged 0 - 17 years old.

2) Chicago school kids are far more at risk from suicide, accidents, and gun deaths. Since the start of COVID in March, 100 kids under 19 have died from causes other than covid. 12 from car accidents. 46 of that 100 are from gun violence. Refer back to point #1.

3) One study is showing infection fatality rate for kids is .004%.

4) More than 75% of CPS teachers are under 50 years old. 60% are under 40. As a group they are not an at risk group. 231 adults under 50 have died from Covid. That is less than 10% of the total Covid deaths.

5) 92% of Chicago covid deaths had pre-existing conditions.

6) Children appear to be low vectors for Covid

7) Chicago Covid deaths are currently at 2 per day

top topics

<<   2 >>

join